What's new

To Preorder or not to preorder... (1 Viewer)

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
I generally will pre-order my catalogs from DeepDiscountDVD, but recently Amazon has set up their pre-orders for most titles at 40% off (which will come out to 50% off with STL). This leaves me torn when figuring out what to do (especially since another DVD can be pre-ordered and even more money taken off!). I also have to factor in that there's no Best Buy near me...

So what's the preference here?

Matthew Furtek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matthew,

I don't think this is a poll. You'll get a better discussion in the Software Forum (I guess). I moved it.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I have never preordered anything in my life. You never know what will happen in between the time you place the order and whne it comes out.

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I have have been pre-ordering from DVDempire for a long time. If anything changes from the time I place the order to when it ships, then I just cancel the order (shrug).

But for major releases like Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, Monster's Inc, Harry Potter etc... I just get them at Best Buy since they will have tons in stock and they will be cheaper since they usually have big sales on those kinds of titles.

George C.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,
I was just wondering what others thought of this. I guess I've been frustrated lately because I pre-order new releases, and then find that its a few dollars cheaper at the B&M stores. Plus now I've seen the advantages of the Amazon STL program plus coupons, which makes it even harder for me to decide.

I guess it's easier not to care about paying a few extra dollars, or find a place on the web that has the B&M prices out early. I wish there was a Best Buy out where I am... I can't even go to Circuit City and pricematch.

Matthew Furtek

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Matthew,

I don't pre-order simply because I do have a Best Buy 5 mins from my house, and for major releases I have always gotten better deals from them. Now I understand you don't have one close by, so in your case it's probably best to just pre-order.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Deep Discount Dvd has gotten so big that they can not even order enough copies to cover their preorders now. I am still waiting to recieve Time after Time and The Fog and the Razors Edge that I preordered from them last month. Time after Time finally shipped two days ago. I would look else where than DDD to do your pre releases at this time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still pre-order new releases for the convenience of saving a trip to the store or stores. However, if a good enough deal is available at a B&M, I will sometimes cancel the pre-order and make a special trip to the store. I did this with Reservoir Dogs, since I couldn't pass up Best Buy's deal. The savings has to be more than a dollar or two, though, to make it worth my time and gasoline.

For multi-disc sets, such as Sports Night ($40) and Star Trek: Next Generation ($82), I can usually find much better deals online than in B&M's. In this case, a pre-order is a no-brainer for me.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't pre-order because one of the B&Ms is ALWAYS cheaper and I never get anything on the release day from online ordering.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I usually preorder from DVD Empire if I want it on the day of release or earlier. If I don't care about a slight delay, I preorder from Deep Discount DVD with free shipping (although I received my last order from DDD a day early).

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I was in the same boat....I used to pre-order everything, then I started to get the sunday paper.....and load and behold the disk were cheaper at CC or BB......Now I don't pre-order anything, especially the big titles....LOTR,SPIDERMAN,SW E2, ET, because they will be all over the place and usually alot cheaper..... That is just me thou,,,,,,and I see alot more people doing the same thing!
R~
P.S. another bonus for me is I don't run up the credit card bill.... :D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I do a juggling act. When I have 4 or more titles that come out the same week, I use DVDEmpire because they offer free shipping on any order over 4 titles. If I have less than 4 titles and I don't want to buy a DVD that I won't ever watch, I go with DeepDiscountDVD. The free shipping is what keeps the prices competetive with B&M stores. So far, I haven't had issues with DDD delivering on time except they usually come on a Tues. or Wenesday and DVDEmpire is always on the Monday before release.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks