What's new

International To My Eyes...SWASHBUCKLER (1976) Blu-ray from Germany (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Got this yesterday, along with BEND OF THE RIVER. Quality-wise, they are night and day.

upload_2017-12-25_12-0-11.jpeg

I'd call SWASHBUCKLER a guilty pleasure, which I saw with my (then-new) wife in 1976, but I actually don't think it's a bad movie, even though Maltin's guide assigns a "BOMB" rating to it. We both enjoyed it, and I have since then sought out -- in vain until now -- a decent video presentation. This is the transfer I have been hoping for. But only if you have a region-free player and order it from Europe. Thanks for providing for your native country, Universal!

The film has some good sword play, lush, beautiful scenery (Mexico standing in for Jamaica, I believe), a rousing score by John Addison, a fun cast (Robert Shaw just after JAWS, James Earl Jones, just before STAR WARS, Peter Boyle, just after YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and TAXI DRIVER, and a bunch of familiar character actors like Avery Schreiber (remember his Doritos Corn Chips commercials?). Angelica Huston is wasted here, but not so the stunningly beautiful Genevieve Bujold in a strong feminist role that includes a bit of her own swashbuckling.

The film is robust and full of slapstick and good humor, while also turning serious as the pirates, led by Shaw as Ned Lynch, gathers allies together to overthrow the evil governor of Jamaica (Boyle) circa 1718 and rescue the prisoner father of the Bujold character. Much happens during the brief 101-minute running time, which is filled with 2.35:1 eye candy (Bujold foremost) and fun action sequences. This film is not a 'BOMB," Leonard.

Koch Germany has given us a stunning Blu-ray, unfortunately limited to Region B. Default language is German, but your remote can fix this instantly. Extras include both a German and English trailer, and a German-language edition of the 17-minute Universal 8 Super 8mm cut-down edition, which I owned in English and which was one of the few Super 8mm films I owned that were actually letterboxed!

As for the transfer, I find little fault with it. The color is accurate and stable. Natural grain is present throughout. Contrast and black levels are strong. The 2.0 mono sound is clear as a bell. I cannot imagine any future release improving on this. Not expensive, and if you're region-free, you're in for a treat. Highly recommended.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Got this yesterday, along with BEND OF THE RIVER. Quality-wise, they are night and day.

View attachment 42764

I'd call SWASHBUCKLER a guilty pleasure, which I saw with my (then-new) wife in 1976, but I actually don't think it's a bad movie, even though Maltin's guide assigns a "BOMB" rating to it. We both enjoyed it, and I have since then sought out -- in vain until now -- a decent video presentation. This is the transfer I have been hoping for. But only if you have a region-free player and order it from Europe. Thanks for providing for your native country, Universal!

The film has some good sword play, lush, beautiful scenery (Mexico standing in for Jamaica, I believe), a rousing score by John Addison, a fun cast (Robert Shaw just after JAWS, James Earl Jones, just before STAR WARS, Peter Boyle, just after YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and TAXI DRIVER, and a bunch of familiar character actors like Avery Schreiber (remember his Doritos Corn Chips commercials?). Angelica Huston is wasted here, but not so the stunningly beautiful Genevieve Bujold in a strong feminist role that includes a bit of her own swashbuckling.

The film is robust and full of slapstick and good humor, while also turning serious as the pirates, led by Shaw as Ned Lynch, gathers allies together to overthrow the evil governor of Jamaica (Boyle) circa 1718 and rescue the prisoner father of the Bujold character. Much happens during the brief 101-minute running time, which is filled with 2.35:1 eye candy (Bujold foremost) and fun action sequences. This film is not a 'BOMB," Leonard.

Koch Germany has given us a stunning Blu-ray, unfortunately limited to Region B. Default language is German, but your remote can fix this instantly. Extras include both a German and English trailer, and a German-language edition of the 17-minute Universal 8 Super 8mm cut-down edition, which I owned in English and which was one of the few Super 8mm films I owned that were actually letterboxed!

As for the transfer, I find little fault with it. The color is accurate and stable. Natural grain is present throughout. Contrast and black levels are strong. The 2.0 mono sound is clear as a bell. I cannot imagine any future release improving on this. Not expensive, and if you're region-free, you're in for a treat. Highly recommended.

Thanks for this review, Rick. I shall now purchase this Blu-ray to replace the DVD I got last year for my father-in-law, who is also very fond of this title (I confess I found the film irritating).

I like your new series of “To My Eyes...” fan reviews, and look forward to reading more. The title makes a nice counterpart to Mr Harris’ “A Few Words About...” insider reviews.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I loved this film when I was a teenager. It is a film I went to see a few times in the theatre. Hopefully Shout will release it in the U.S. at some point.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I like your new series of “To My Eyes...” fan reviews, and look forward to reading more. The title makes a nice counterpart to Mr Harris’ “A Few Words About...” insider reviews.

I appreciate the comment. This may not really be the beginning of a "series," and I wouldn't even daydream about trying to produce a catch-phrase similar to those of Mr. Harris and Mr. Kimmel. I simply plan to report back on (mostly) foreign import titles I have purchased and to assess them strictly basis of my less-than-professional criteria, thus the "To My Eyes" header.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks