What's new

Tivo Edge with cable card and Cisco Tuner (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I gave up on using the new DVR from Spectrum; I had issues with both the software gui's and the hardware itself was wonky. Bought a Tivo Edge, got a Cisco cable card and Cisco cable tuner from Spectrum. Two issues:

1. The cable tuner runs hot, really hot. so hot I don't trust it in my rack.

2. I think the picture quality is seriously degraded.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Can I purchase third-party hardware, i.e. my own cable card and/or cable tuner?

Any help at all would be appreciated!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What’s the cable tuner for, if you have a cable card?

Last I checked, there’s no third party market for buying cable cards.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I have a Bolt+Cisco Tuning Adapter (STA1520) + CC. The Tuning Adapter doesn't feel hot at all though it's not in a rack and I certainly can't see any issue with the PQ. I might try exchanging the Tuning Adapter first and see if Spectrum has had any other complaints. I literally can place both hands on the top of my adapter and it barely feels warm, much less uncomfortably hot, The Bolt is notoriously warm and it can be a bit uncomfortable at times to hold esp on the bottom

To Dave -- the Tuning Adapter became necessary a couple years ago when cable went to Switched Digital something or another in order to stack channels and conserve bandwidth. Without the TA the Cable Card loses access to about 2/3 of the channels -- no idea of what it is or does, but it's a pain to set up and regularly (at least once a week) seems to lose connection and needs to be rebooted.

As I understand it there is no way to make the Cable Card do both jobs so it adds extra wiring, 1 more power adapter, and one more troubleshooting point when things go wacky. I love my TIVO's and my wife would soon become a widow if I tried to either go full streaming or go back to DirecTV though I'd love to go back to the best DirecTIVO's, The Spectrum DVR isn't really a substitute in any meaningful way even being free.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yep, the tuning adapter is for switched digital video (SDV), it is what communicates back to make sure the proper stream is sent down to the TiVo. Cablecards don't have that capability.

It shouldn't be so hot to the touch, and the picture should not be degraded. I'd see about getting another one, if I were you.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
David Norman and Rodney, thanks for the replies. I'm going to bring my laser thermometer home from work today and get a reading before I call Spectrum and ask for a replacement. Hope the next one works better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks