What's new

Titan submersible imploded near the Titanic wreckage (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Sounds likely... although that might not stop some less scrupulous entrepreneur/company from setting up shop in a (much) less strictly regulating country/territory in the future nonetheless.

I wonder what happens, for instance, if one were to set up shop on a fully private island (not belonging to any state/govt jurisdiction) one buys/owns not far off from a well-established, conventional country. Such islands definitely do exist afterall. Then, I suppose it's back to "buyer beware" or the like...

_Man_

I once read something that when it comes to the law in international waters any nation could prosecute for crimes being committed. Not sure what that means for commerce regulations like these Titanic dives however

WillG

Senior HTF Member
4) I suspect those waivers will be a mere speedbump if significant legal action is taken. Especially against a grieving mother and wife with extraordinarily deep pockets.

Yeah, I don’t think any waiver like this would hold up if negligence/incompetence can be proven and it looks like a that could be a slam dunk in this instance. Allegedly the CEO was warned about safety concerns from other employees (and may have fired them over it), said things that indicate he made hiring decisions based on identity over merit. Things like that.

Though I doubt the families would get much anyway. How much cash could an operation like this possibly have on hand? Even if you liquidated all the assets it would likely need to pay back debt and reimburse for the search and rescue efforts

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The Titanic resting place is its own symbolic graveyard for all the poor souls lost in that (preventable) tragedy. And now it’s yet more so for the five lost here in another misguided voyage. It shouldn’t be a place for the wealthy elite to gawk and intrude. If it’s an exploratory or scientific or historic study mission, that’s justifiable. But the ignored perils and dire results of this operation make any such future similar dives, one hopes, out of the question.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I am not trying to be funny with this post, rather pointing out a bizarre coincidence.

I was catching up on my Far Side 2023 daily calendar, and this was from the day of the Titan accident.
PXL_20230629_103918795~2.jpg

This was from the day the debris field was discovered, and confirmed.
PXL_20230629_105936590~2.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A friend found this video that has an alleged transcript of the communication with the submersible. If this is true, then they knew they were in trouble. Take it with a grain of salt.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
To my shock and amazement, metal end pieces of the submersible were GLUED to the titanium/carbon fiber tube. Incredible!
That in and of itself is not necessarily a problem. There are plenty of industrial adhesives that result in an incredibly strong (and waterproof) seal.

But mixing carbon fiber and titanium is a no-no. Applying severe pressure differentials to carbon fiber over and over again is a no-no.

This video did a good job of helping me understand some of the obvious things OceanGate got wrong:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The structural failure of the Titan was the physical manifestation that killed the passengers. But the real cause was clearly hubris.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks