What's new

Time to make a decision...Denon or Pioneer Elite (1 Viewer)

BrianRM

Auditioning
I have narrowed down my search to two receivers:

Denon AVR-3803
Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx

My room is 19x14
My speakers are Paradigm Monitor 11v2 with CC-370.
I plan to add Monitor 5v3 for my rear channels and a subwoofer once the dust has seetled from my receiver purchase....which means as soon as I feel it is safe to run another purchase by my wife!

When I look at the specs and have listened to the pioneer and the current Denon 3802 I can not find an overwhelming reason to chose one over the other. My use will be divided 80% music (both 2 channel and multi) and 20% HT. I will only use 5.1 with the remaining two amplified channels possibly used for outside speakers...another future purchase.

This will be my first and probably last multi-channel receiver purchase and I want to make it a good one. Anyone with experience with these two brands, please give me your thoughts on which way to proceed.

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

David Judah

Screenwriter
They are both good receivers at that price point. After demoing alot of receivers, the MCACC of the Pioneer pushed me to purchase the 45TX, but that was my subjective preference, which I'm sure not everyone would share.

A couple of things to consider:

Your speakers--they are a bit more open and foward and the Pioneer will exhibit more of those qualities than the 3803, if the 3802 is any indication.

Your room--is it a live room? If it is, the Pioneer will accentuate the upper midrange and treble, most likely, compared to the Denon.

You might like that open, detailed sound, so the Pioneer would be a good match, but if you don't, the Denon will help balance things out.

Good luck,

DJ

DevinT

Grip
Brian,
I have owned both the 3802 and 45tx. They are fairly even with the Elite coming out a bit ahead. I like the Pioneer a little more for its better processing, better remote, official DD-ex, and acoustic cal.
However, lately I have been experiencing shutdown particularly in two channel stereo. It annoys the hell out of me. Also, I hear more hiss at higher volumes than the 3802. What it comes down to is this, I don't feel like the amps in the 45tx are adequate for me. If I were to keep it I would definitely buy at least a two channel amp.
So here is my decision, I'm selling my 45tx and purchasing the 3803 in two weeks. Mostly because I never needed an external amp with the Denon. I hope the new processor on the 3803 will be able to match the 45tx's power. The other improvements made to the 3803 just make the decision even easier for me.

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
I will compare the two when the 3803 hits the street as my dealer carries both but will probably go with the Denon. I am using Definitive Technology speakers, which are not the easiest to drive and feel the Denon will be less likely to shut down. I also like the multiple video inputs and wide component bandwidth, as well as the video conversion.

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
Over at AVS forum someone compared the 45TX to the new Sony 4ES to mu surpise he said the sony cast a wider cleaner soundstage. He called the Pioneer more subtle then the Sony. He however said he like a more forward (bright) sound so chose the Sony over the Elite. I think I will be getting the Elite.

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

You're 80% music and you're talking about getting a receiver that doesn't have a digital link to hirez players? WHAT??

The Pio 49TXi/47Ai combo with iLink is going to kick some serious ass in the hirez world. The rest of the manufacturers will quickly fall in line. Look for universal digital connections between ANY player and ANY receiver in mid to late 2003. Furthermore, with 20% HT and the imminent ascendance of DVI, look for component video switching to die a deserved death in favor of DVI switching - also 2003. In the interim, snag a 3802 or the internet equivalent (1082) and be prepared to pitch it next year for the next generation boxes. THEY should last you for a bit.

Austin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks