What's new
World Wide Stereo

Timbre matching older Polk towers - RTA 11t (1 Viewer)

Jed

Grip
My current system went with the sale of my house (Denon AVR3300, Boston 100x (L,C,R) & Boston VRS Pros).

It looks like I will be buying the Denon 3803 or one of the Marantz receivers 7200/8200/8300.

As far as speakers are concerned, I have a bit of a dilemma. In my closet I have my old Polk RTA 11t towers (Circa 1989; 2 - 6.25 drivers, 1 - 1" tweeter and 2 passive 8s. I always enjoyed the sound of those speakers and am contemplating bringing them out of mothballs.

Assuming I use towers in our new house, what are my chances of using these in a home theater setup? The problem I am facing is matching the center and rears.

Any thoughts on this? I was looking at spending no more than $1500 on the speaker setup. Using the Polks will free up money for a better center/rears or perhaps sub (I currently have a powered Sony 12" - bought about 4 years ago after pretty good reviews on this site!)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jed

Grip
I just called Polk regarding the availability of replacement drivers....I am pleasantly surprised as they do carry replacement drivers for my RTA series! $60 a driver - less 20% for club Polk members (free) will enable me to replace the entire complement of drivers for under $300!

I doubth there is any way I can get a pair - or even single - speaker for $300 that will hang with these Polks.

I was also told the RTi series should sound pretty close to the RTAs. Looks like I am on to something here...re-using my old equipment! Kind of glad I hung on to them.

Now I will have to pull my Carver 400t (cube) and 500t out of mothballs as well. That is almost an extra 1000 watts to play with! Perhaps a nice unpowered sub is in order! Nostalgia is kicking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks