Think The Blues Brothers (25th Aniv Ed) will be worth buying again?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dean L, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin Stunt Coordinator

I just want to chime in and say that this is probably my all-time favorite comedy, and I also consider it to be one of the best musicals ever made. Not to mention the fact that it was the first R-rated film I was allowed to see!

The sequel, on the other hand, was just about the worst movie I'd ever seen.....

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Read my review - I explain it there. Nothing much I can add here...

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Whatever, then I guess I'll remain condescending according to your way of thinking.

Crawdaddy

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

There is no sequel, just as there also is no Speed 2, no 2010, no Highlander 2, no Grease 2, no Staying Alive and no Jaws movies past the original Spielberg.

I live in what you might call a state of denial.

5. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

2010 wasn't that bad.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think it's funny how you have some people praising Universal for finally including original mono on the new Vertigo DVD, yet the opposite for including original stereo on the theatrical version of The Blues Brothers. [​IMG]

7. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

nor highlander2 renagade cut

8. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

If you're refering to me I really want to justify this.

1. The 5.1 mix on the initial Blues Brothers DVD was REALLY good if you ask me.

2. 5.1 and 2.0 should've been included on the theatrical edition.

3. I don't even want to hear Blues Brothers in compressed 192kbps 2.0 surround. If it was a 448kbps 2.0 track I might have been more interested. Or, prefferably, a 1536kbps PCM track.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

Actually, that WAS crap, sorry[​IMG]

I have this pre-ordered (Blues Brothers, not highlander because all the highlander movies suck.***) and am pretty excited to be able to watch both versions. I just hope it actually works, this is a Universal DVD-18 right?

* I'm kidding to an extent, I know the love for 2001, and can appreciate what it did for cinema (make for slow boring movies in the 70's**) I've just never like it as much as most.

** that was just a total bastard comment, sorry about that I'll stop now [​IMG]

*** I'm not going to apologize for that one, I never understood the popularity of these films, and I liek the genre of immortal time traveling swordsman, or whatever the f**k it's about, and Queen****.

**** Radio Ga-GA Queen anyways, the rest I can do with out.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I think this was released in 4-track magnetic sound, so that's how it should have been on the disc. The Dolby logo doesn't appear anywhere and I've never seen it in any of the lists they used to put out of movies in optical stereo.

11. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Has anyone compared the 5.1 mix to the old mix? If so is it pretty faithful or another Jaws mess? The music sounded terrific on the previous dvd.

12. Ernesto.Morin

Ernesto.Morin Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if I want to pick this version up since I have the old one. We shall see.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I haven't yet had a chance to take a look at the new release, but will in the near future.

Blues Brothers was one of the last productions to go out in four track magnetic prints, which means that L-C-R-S should be discreet information channeled to the 5.1 for home video.

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

While John Belushi may be known for being discreet, presumably the mag tracks are discrete. [​IMG]

DJ

15. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

There is an interview with John Landis up on chud.com in which he talks about the new Blues Brothers DVD (and also a little bit about The Three Amigos). Here is the part about The Blues Brothers:

Q: The new edition of The Blues Brothers DVD that is coming out – what can fans expect on this new edition that’s different from what we’ve seen in the past?

Landis: Not much! Five years ago for the 20th anniversary we did this expanded version which included footage we found in a preview print. On this DVD they’re releasing on the same DVD the expanded version and the original theatrical version, plus the documentary which was done five years ago on the making of the movie, which is excellent. It has footage from the location, the shooting of the film, as well as interviews that were done in 79 and 1999.

What’s interesting is that for the new DVD they also have additional things – they have a documentary on John Belushi and a piece on the impact of the Blues Brothers on the world. And I think they have a piece of Danny and Jimmy Belushi performing at the House of Blues. It’s interesting because I was looking at some of this stuff and it’s weird for me because I see myself in 79, and then in 80, then in 95 and then in 2000 and then in 2005, being interviewed. It’s very odd for me – it’s like I’m fat! Thin! Long hair! Short hair! Black hair! Grey hair!

16. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I still have my Signature LD which sounds so good (5.1), I never "upgraded" to the DVD. Unlikely I will until we get the HD version. I've probably watched this movie the most which has many "classic" music pieces from some of R&B greats.

17. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Yeah, Landis' comments on this new edition sure have me psyched up. I mean, the same documentary that was done 5 years ago, no new transfer, and House of Blues footage! [​IMG]

18. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    The inclusion of the original theatrical cut and the possibility of a better-placed (or better-encoded) layer change are enough to interest me.

19. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Just FYI, we've posted our full review of the new DVD at The Digital Bits... and we've got a little surprise for you as well, just for fun. We've offering THREE RARE AUDIO TRACKS from the film in high-quality MP3 format, including the "lost" performance of Sink the Bismarck at Bob's Country Bunker. It isn't on the DVD (and don't ask me why), but we've got it for you, along with two unreleased Murph and The Magic Tones tracks for good measure. Click here to read the DVD review and to download the tracks. Enjoy!

20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Bill - you're a star. I've been on a Blues Brothers kick lately (been regularly listening to the 'definitive' CD collection and also got the Best of Blues Brothers DVD, although I haven't watched the actual movie in ages!) and those MP3s are just fantastic. I'm just annoyed that I may have to get the new R1 edition because I've gotten used to the boys at the correct pitch - and I've got the PAL R2 DVD on my shelf. I guess I can only play it and see...