What's new

Think The Blues Brothers (25th Aniv Ed) will be worth buying again? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
For those of us who already own the Special Edition DVD that was released about 6-7 years ago, has the video and sound been remastered for the new DVD?
Is it the same cut from the first DVD release?

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
What we know so far:

I've heard elsewhere that the new disc will be on a DVD-18.

So, the reviewers should be receiving their screener copies any day now (if they haven't already), and reviews should start showing up shortly.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
"...How do the picture and sound quality of this 25th Anniversary DVD compare with those of the original 1998 release? To my eyes and ears, they seem identical. I compared the pair and observed no differences in audio or visual quality."

from dvdmg.com review

:frowning:

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
Sad to see that reviewer not enjoying the film. My father, brother and I can literally recite the movie verbatim from seeing it literally hundreds of times. Anytime we pass a cop we still have to say "I bet they have S.C.M.O.D.S". It was a staple of my childhood.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It'll be nice to finally have the vastly superior theatrical cut on DVD.

edit: the trailer IS included, according to that review. Hopefully Universal will stop omitting trailers from their newer DVD's. At least I'll be able to get rid of my old disc. I would have felt sort of stupid holding onto an entire DVD for a trailer but I wouldn't have been able to convince myself to get rid of it.

edit 2: the reviewer said he didn't bother watcing the theatrical cut, which is the main draw of this new edition. Perhaps Universal gave that cut a new transfer. I don't care much for the video quality on the extended edition, the added scenes have always looked noticeably worse than the original scenes anyway.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
The same transfer is probably used but I bet the bitrate is considerably better though. The old release had a low avg of 4.45mb/sec, probably to accommodate the documentary.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I would have liked to watch it, but it's one of those "not enough time in the day" things. I chose the extended cut mainly so I could directly compare it to the prior DVD - I figured many would be interested to know if it looked/sounded better. I didn't own the old one and reviewed it a LONG time ago, so I rented it to make the comparisons. Again, I saw/heard no differences. I even detected the same source flaws in the same spots.

And I'd compare bit rates... if I could figure out where the hell I put the thing. I have so many DVDs around the house that I lose track of them easily! I don't know if I'd count on a higher bit rate - the extended version still has the documentary on the same side...

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

That's subjective. ;)

Anyway, I think I'll stick to my initial DVD. I would like the theatrical version as well, but, as Colin said, it's only dolby 2.0. And this new edition doesn't even have a booklet!

No booklet = No sale!

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'll try my best not to be condescending about this. But it seems ummm...interesting...that you can't find "much entertainment" in the classic performances by Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Cab Calloway, and James Brown.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Is that a joke?

I finally got confirmation about live digital screenings on 8/29, complete with John Landis and Dan Aykroyd in attendance. You can read more about it here.

- Steve

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
Colin, just somewhat reiterating what Robert said. I didn't mean to be condescending to you, and I apologize if I inadvertently offended you in anyway. The meaning of my comment was more the variety of I find it sad when a film that I hold in rather high esteem fails to connect with viewers (I simply wish upon others the enjoyment I experience ) as opposed to find it sad that you individually didn't enjoy the film. Hopefully no harm done.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Go figure though. This was one of the few instances where they could've dropped the trailer and I still could've sold off the old DVD since my American Pie Unrated CE has the trailer for The Blues Brothers. Losing the booklet will suck though.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If I hadn't already sold my old copy on eBay a couple months ago I'd probably pass on this new DVD, but since I'm without a copy I'll be forced to pick it up on 8/30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks