What's new

There's Something About Mary COLLECTOR'S EDITION?? (1 Viewer)

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
DVD Empire just listed a "There's Something About Mary: Collector's Edition" in both Widescreen and Full Frame versions. Had it just been the Full Frame version, then I would assume that Fox was merely doing another batch of full frame re-releases. However, the existence of the Widescreen version leads me to believe that they are indeed releasing a new, possibly anamorphic version of There's Something About Mary. Intriguing.... Anyone have any details? Oh, and it's coming out in May, I believe it said....

Andy_MT

Second Unit
the region 4 "special edition" has been out for years with a very nice 16x9E transfer, commentary and other bits and pieces. if this doesn't materialise, i'd recommend you go kangaroo for this one!

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
or any R2 version. The only difference actually seems to the 16x9 transfer all the extras are the same, no?

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
DVDFile is reporting that a 2 disc SE is in fact coming out on May 13. It will have anamorphic widescreen. Head over there for the details.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I'll just quote them if people don't mind:

dvdfile something about Mary
While not exactly a huge award winner, the Farrelly Brothers' There's Something About Mary was certainly a blockbuster with audiences. Fox will give the smash sleeper comedy a new two-disc special edition, available in separate 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each with tons of extras. Disc one features audio commentary by the Farrelly Brothers (taken from the previous DVD) plus a brand-new commentary by the pair, another commentary by writers Ed Decter and John J. Strauss, 13 deleted and extended scenes with commentary accessible via seamless branching, plus the original claymation opening credits. Disc two includes the "Getting Behind Mary" documentary with diary footage, the AMC Backstory: There's Something About Mary, Comedy Central's Reel Comedy featurettes "Best Fight: Ben Stiller and Puffy the Dog," "Up a tree with Jonathan Richmond," "Franks & Beans: A Conversation with
Looks like I'll have to aupdate my UKR2. only after the first reviews though as a lot of the extras might just be fillers. yet the seamless branching with 12 deleted scenes sounds interesting, I wonder how much longet the film will be (maybe too long?)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've seen the film so many times on VHS (with no motivation to get the DVD) that this is welcome news to me.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Fox's press site makes no mention of a widescreen version. This is all they list for the two-disc set:

Disc 1: Full screen feature, existing commentary by Farrelly Bros., New scene-specific commentary by Farrelly Bros.,
13 deleted/extended scenes with commentary by Farrelly Bros., (seemless branch), commentary
by writers Ed Decter, and John J. Strauss, original claymation opening credits,
Disc 2: "Getting Behind Mary" BTS/DV diary footage, backstory: There's Something About Mary, Comedy Central
(Reel Comedy), featurettes: Best Fight: Ben Stiller and Puffy the dog, up a tree with Jonathan Richmond, Franks & Beans:A conversation with
W. Earl Brown, exposing themselves: Ben Stiller Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Chris Elliot, touchdown: A conversation with Brett Favre, interview
roulette w/Harland Williams, Puffy, Boobs and Balls, Easter Eggs: "There's no such thing as bad press", foreign language end
scene in 8 languages, Mary markteting: "posters, theatrical trailer A, 13 TV spots, "Everyday Should Be A Holiday" music
video, outtakes, karaoke "buttercup", Behind the Zipper

It doesn't make much sense for a non-widescreen release, however.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Man, this really sounds like a great DVD! Deleted scenes were the thing I was really looking for, but to hear that they're going to be included with seamless branching is exciting. I can't think of another comedy that has used seamless branching. In fact, the only films I can think of that use seamless branching at all are T2, Stargate and Stigmata. A sorely underused technology!
Now I just have to wait for that special Fish Called Wanda. Maybe our R2 HTFers can tell us when that's coming out? Isn't one scheduled for R2?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I sure hope it's a typo. Why would they do a 2 Disc SE with this much and not include OAR?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
FROM DVDFILE:

While not exactly a huge award winner, the Farrelly Brothers' There's Something About Mary was certainly a blockbuster with audiences. Fox will give the smash sleeper comedy a new two-disc special edition, available in separate 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each with tons of extras. Disc one features audio commentary by the Farrelly Brothers (taken from the previous DVD) plus a brand-new commentary by the pair, another commentary by writers Ed Decter and John J. Strauss, 13 deleted and extended scenes with commentary accessible via seamless branching, plus the original claymation opening credits. Disc two includes the "Getting Behind Mary" documentary with diary footage, the AMC Backstory: There's Something About Mary, Comedy Central's Reel Comedy featurettes "Best Fight: Ben Stiller and Puffy the Dog," "Up a tree with Jonathan Richmond," "Franks & Beans: A Conversation with
W. Earl Brown," "Exposing Themselves: Ben Stiller Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Chris Elliot," "Touchdown: A Conversation with Brett Favre," "Interview Roulette with Harland Williams," a˜d "Puffy, Boobs and Balls," the "Mary Marketing" still gallery, foreign language clips, "Everyday Should Be A Holiday" music video, outtakes, a karaoke version of "Buttercup," something called "Behind the Zipper," trailers and 13 TV spots. Retail is $26.95 and street date May 13th.

They list two editions. Widescreen is a-comin'.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Lots of stuff just passed on the BBFC website

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - EASTER EGG: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS BAD PRESS (37 seconds)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - OUTTAKES REEL (3:22)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - FEATURETTE - AROUND THE WORLD WITH MARY (5:28)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - FEATURETTE - PUFFY, BOOBS & BALLS (10:49)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - GETTING BEHIND MARY (43:43!)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - INTERVIEW ROULETTE WITH HARLAND WILLIAMS (6:49)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - BEST FIGHTS: BEN STILLER AND PUFFY THE DOG (3:02)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - FRANKS AND BEANS: A CONVERSATION WITH W. EARL BROWN (5:30)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - TOUCHDOWN: A CONVERSATION WITH BRETT FAVRE (5:35)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - UP A TREE WITH JONATHAN RICHMAN AND TOMMY LARKINS (11:36)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENTS (14:35)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - MUSIC VIDEO - EVERYDAY SHOULD BE A HOLIDAY (4:01)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Total typos or oversight on those specs re: aspect ratio. As Peter Staddon said, Fox is committed to providing OAR DVDs. Sure they have capitulated to "the masses" and released MAR versions as well, but he has stated that as long as he has a say in things, there will always be an OAR version as well. And having met the very nice man in person, I believe him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks