There's Something About Mary COLLECTOR'S EDITION??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Skoobooz, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    DVD Empire just listed a "There's Something About Mary: Collector's Edition" in both Widescreen and Full Frame versions. Had it just been the Full Frame version, then I would assume that Fox was merely doing another batch of full frame re-releases. However, the existence of the Widescreen version leads me to believe that they are indeed releasing a new, possibly anamorphic version of There's Something About Mary. Intriguing.... Anyone have any details? Oh, and it's coming out in May, I believe it said....

2. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

the region 4 "special edition" has been out for years with a very nice 16x9E transfer, commentary and other bits and pieces. if this doesn't materialise, i'd recommend you go kangaroo for this one!

3. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

or any R2 version. The only difference actually seems to the 16x9 transfer all the extras are the same, no?

4. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Is there current transfer bad or something? I've been considering picking up the current version for a while now.

5. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

6. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    DVDFile is reporting that a 2 disc SE is in fact coming out on May 13. It will have anamorphic widescreen. Head over there for the details.

7. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

I'll just quote them if people don't mind:

dvdfile something about Mary

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I've seen the film so many times on VHS (with no motivation to get the DVD) that this is welcome news to me.

9. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

Fox's press site makes no mention of a widescreen version. This is all they list for the two-disc set:

Disc 1: Full screen feature, existing commentary by Farrelly Bros., New scene-specific commentary by Farrelly Bros.,
    13 deleted/extended scenes with commentary by Farrelly Bros., (seemless branch), commentary
    by writers Ed Decter, and John J. Strauss, original claymation opening credits,
    Disc 2: "Getting Behind Mary" BTS/DV diary footage, backstory: There's Something About Mary, Comedy Central
    (Reel Comedy), featurettes: Best Fight: Ben Stiller and Puffy the dog, up a tree with Jonathan Richmond, Franks & Beans:A conversation with
    W. Earl Brown, exposing themselves: Ben Stiller Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Chris Elliot, touchdown: A conversation with Brett Favre, interview
    roulette w/Harland Williams, Puffy, Boobs and Balls, Easter Eggs: "There's no such thing as bad press", foreign language end
    scene in 8 languages, Mary markteting: "posters, theatrical trailer A, 13 TV spots, "Everyday Should Be A Holiday" music
    video, outtakes, karaoke "buttercup", Behind the Zipper

It doesn't make much sense for a non-widescreen release, however.

10. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Man, this really sounds like a great DVD! Deleted scenes were the thing I was really looking for, but to hear that they're going to be included with seamless branching is exciting. I can't think of another comedy that has used seamless branching. In fact, the only films I can think of that use seamless branching at all are T2, Stargate and Stigmata. A sorely underused technology!
    Now I just have to wait for that special Fish Called Wanda. Maybe our R2 HTFers can tell us when that's coming out? Isn't one scheduled for R2?

11. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

why bring out such a extras boasting set with only PS??
    surely a mistake in the press kit.

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I sure hope it's a typo. Why would they do a 2 Disc SE with this much and not include OAR?

13. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

Yea, like I said. It makes no sense.

14. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

FROM DVDFILE:

While not exactly a huge award winner, the Farrelly Brothers' There's Something About Mary was certainly a blockbuster with audiences. Fox will give the smash sleeper comedy a new two-disc special edition, available in separate 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each with tons of extras. Disc one features audio commentary by the Farrelly Brothers (taken from the previous DVD) plus a brand-new commentary by the pair, another commentary by writers Ed Decter and John J. Strauss, 13 deleted and extended scenes with commentary accessible via seamless branching, plus the original claymation opening credits. Disc two includes the "Getting Behind Mary" documentary with diary footage, the AMC Backstory: There's Something About Mary, Comedy Central's Reel Comedy featurettes "Best Fight: Ben Stiller and Puffy the Dog," "Up a tree with Jonathan Richmond," "Franks & Beans: A Conversation with
    W. Earl Brown," "Exposing Themselves: Ben Stiller Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Chris Elliot," "Touchdown: A Conversation with Brett Favre," "Interview Roulette with Harland Williams," a˜d "Puffy, Boobs and Balls," the "Mary Marketing" still gallery, foreign language clips, "Everyday Should Be A Holiday" music video, outtakes, a karaoke version of "Buttercup," something called "Behind the Zipper," trailers and 13 TV spots. Retail is $26.95 and street date May 13th.

They list two editions. Widescreen is a-comin'.

15. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

235 ? (film is 185)

so, we've had fullscreen, then 235, what next ?

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The first DVD was 1.85, but non anamorphic.

17. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Lots of stuff just passed on the BBFC website

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - EASTER EGG: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS BAD PRESS (37 seconds)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - OUTTAKES REEL (3:22)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - FEATURETTE - AROUND THE WORLD WITH MARY (5:28)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - FEATURETTE - PUFFY, BOOBS & BALLS (10:49)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - GETTING BEHIND MARY (43:43!)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - INTERVIEW ROULETTE WITH HARLAND WILLIAMS (6:49)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - BEST FIGHTS: BEN STILLER AND PUFFY THE DOG (3:02)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - FRANKS AND BEANS: A CONVERSATION WITH W. EARL BROWN (5:30)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - TOUCHDOWN: A CONVERSATION WITH BRETT FAVRE (5:35)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENT - UP A TREE WITH JONATHAN RICHMAN AND TOMMY LARKINS (11:36)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - INTERVIEW SEGMENTS (14:35)

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY - MUSIC VIDEO - EVERYDAY SHOULD BE A HOLIDAY (4:01)

18. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Total typos or oversight on those specs re: aspect ratio. As Peter Staddon said, Fox is committed to providing OAR DVDs. Sure they have capitulated to "the masses" and released MAR versions as well, but he has stated that as long as he has a say in things, there will always be an OAR version as well. And having met the very nice man in person, I believe him.