What's new

The X-Files (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
searching through the catacombs of the forum i couldn't find a thread title with X-Files in it. does it exist? if so, please attach my comments to it.

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic...dead_in_maine/
^just read this and thought it's a monster of the week episode right out of the XF!

meanwhile, i've been a huge fan of the series. i saw every single ep from s5 through s9 except for 1 or 2 episodes. i missed most of 1-4 and just rectified it last month. i'm caught up through first 2 eps of s3. i'm very surprised that i missed most of s2 even during the reruns. ah well, it's good to "discover" some of these older episodes for the first time. it continues to affirm my belief that XF is the greatest series ever made. from every single dept. and angle, it's a production that truly filmic every week. it's also revolutionary in that no show before XF gave TV a filmic look every week and most shows afterwards emulated that model (BSG, 24, etc.)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I tried to get into it, watched the S1 & S2 (perhaps 3, don't remember) a few months ago. I enjoyed what I saw, but never fell in love with the show so I eventually drifted off...

One of my main gripes is that Scully gives skeptics a bad name. No scientist worth her salt could witness the things she did, and still be so boneheaded. All we ask is evidence, and she wouldn't know one if it bit her in the ass.

--
H

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this series and have been thinking about trying it out on DVD. I saw an old thread regarding the format (4:3 , WS) for this show's DVD releases but wasn't allowed to post on it (archived, I guess due to age of the thread).

Which seasons are WS on the DVD sets? It appeared that someone posted in the archived thread that season's 6 thru 9 are WS and 1-5 are 4:3 . I wasn't willing to trust Amazon's format info as they occasionally post inaccurate ratio info.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR
The DVDs of Seasons 5 to 9 are widescreen.

Travis,

Thanks for the info! I imagine there's a complete box set available.

In your opinion, did this series drop off somewhat after the earlier seasons? That sometimes happens with long-running shows.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Yeah, the best years of the show are the earliest ones but the show was solid throughout and in terms of filmmaking, the show always got better as it went along. While many fans say that the show fell apart after Duchovny left, they're living in denial as far as I'm concerned because Robert Patrick coming on was a much needed boost to the series.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I liked season 8 with Patrick, but by season 9 the magic was gone. Jeff, if you are new to the show...seasons 1-6, which have the prime 'alien conspiracy' story arc, are considered the best seasons of the show - some may argue 1-5. Many like the first two seasons in particular.

I liked (and own) the whole series - even subpar seasons 7 and 9 have some great individual episodes. I've said it before and I'll say it again...a bad season of the X-Files is better than most other shows' best seasons.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Thanks for the info on this show!

I have a couple of questions about the complete series set:

One reviewer at Amazon mentions something about the complete set including a movie. Is that the 1998 X Files film "Fight The Future"? I've not seen that movie so I'm guessing that it's similar to the "Firefly" series film "Serenity", a kind of "closeure" film to the TV series?

I see a mention of "I Want to Believe" as well. That appears to me to be a bonus disc of unreleased scenes from the TV series but I'm not certain from reading the review at DVDTalk. Is that another feature film like "Fight the Future"?

Are both films included in the complete box series set?

Regarding the TV series complete box set: I noticed that it's a Fox release. Are these discs single-sided discs in this set? I didn't see that info mentioned at Amazon or at the DVDTalk review.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Don't quote me but I think the series set pre-dates I Want To Believe (the second movie) so it wouldn't be included.

The chronology of the series is S1 to 5, the Fight The Future movie, S6 to 9 and then the I Want To Believe movie.

And a shopping tip, you can routinely see the season sets on sale for about $20 so you may want to pick them up separately rather than going for the possibly more pricey series set. Also, you've only spent $20 if you watch the first season and don't care for it.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Spot on, Travis - I have long felt that way!

Originally Posted by TravisR because Robert Patrick coming on was a much needed boost to the series.

/forum/thread/240363/the-x-files#post_3731000

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
The complete series does not include the newer movie ("I Want to Believe") or the "Lone Gunmen" episodes. Otherwise, it includes everything on single-sided discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks