What's new

The Wizard of Oz (85th Anniversary- 3 day Fathom Event Screening w- introduction from Leonard Maltin (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It is amazing that this film can still draw an audience into a theater. I guess every 5 to 10 years there are new children who haven't seen it and their parents who remember loving it and want to share the experience with their children.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
When we saw The Boy and the Heron last weekend, there was a preview for this screening. Hopefully the actual movie's "print" is better because even my wife commented on how bad the movie looked.

It is amazing that this film can still draw an audience into a theater. I guess every 5 to 10 years there are new children who haven't seen it and their parents who remember loving it and want to share the experience with their children.
I couldn't tell you the last time I saw WoO. It's had to be at least 30+ years (I saw my high school's production of it, and that was definitely over 30 years ago.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hopefully the actual movie's "print" is better because even my wife commented on how bad the movie looked.
It will probably be the same as the last time Fathom did this. I don't see any reason for them to change it. I was going to say I saw it a couple years ago. But I just looked and the last time I saw it theatrically was January 2019. It looked very good to me then. It broke the all-time Fathom Events gross record back then. I don't know if that still stands or not, but of course they would bring this back again with results like that.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Maybe it was just the preview's quality, because that was bad. Which from looking at some screenshots from the 4k disc, it does seem that the preview is just bad.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

There will be a movie about this by end of next year.

This guy really thought the Ruby Slippers were made of actual rubies. The only actual pairs made from real rubies was made for the 50th anniversary in 1989 by Harry Winston for $3 million. At that time, those shoes were the most expensive in the world.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I will go - again - to see this. As a child of the 60’s I grew up watching it on its annual TV showing (Easter? I seem to recall it was around a holiday) and was blown away seeing it in a theater for the first time in 1999 for its 60th anniversary. It was like seeing it for the first time.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from this, crowd was decent maybe about half full. Presentation was good other than the theater I went to having one of those SONY projectors for which greyscale goes out of calibration easily leaving the edges of the picture for the sepia sections being sepia and the center of the image appearing slightly purple.

There was contradictory information on the jitterbug sequence with a Wizard of OZ expert in the pre-show saying that it wasn't cut because it would date the movie, it was cut for pacing reasons, and Leonard Maltin who said it was cut because it would date the movie.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I just got back from this, crowd was decent maybe about half full. Presentation was good other than the theater I went to having one of those SONY projectors for which greyscale goes out of calibration easily leaving the edges of the picture for the sepia sections being sepia and the center of the image appearing slightly purple.

There was contradictory information on the jitterbug sequence with a Wizard of OZ expert in the pre-show saying that it wasn't cut because it would date the movie, it was cut for pacing reasons, and Leonard Maltin who said it was cut because it would date the movie.

Oz fan here, both reasons are why it was cut.

The six-minute sequence took fully five weeks to rehearse and film, at a cost of $80,000. It was cut from the movie because of a need to shorten the running time, and because studio executives feared that it would date the film

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I don't know what happened with the final scene in Oz, but the 4k distributes some weird artifacts. The Blu ray doesn't have the same artifacts, but has its own dirt and color artifacts. Older prints are dirty in this scene. It's almost as though it was handled improperly from the start.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I have the 4K and 3D versions. Several years ago a surviving Technicolor print was shown in Hollywood. While all 3 were excellent experiences, seeing Oz via the 3D conversion is a revelation. All the stage-bound backings extend into infinity making the realms in Oz virtually real.
It’s an experience no other format can match. Too bad Fathom could not have offered a 3D screening as well...

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not the Fathom Event, but my local independent theater which shut down in February when the lease holders decided to drop the lease just reopened today and they are showing classic films today. I went to The Wizard of OZ with my mom. It looked and sounded great and the theater has DLP projectors that are not susceptible to discoloration after time like some other projector technologies which is especially noticeable in B&W movies. The Sepia tone looked great.

Every time I see Dorothy leaving munchkin land I have to keep myself from shouting at her not to hit the wall since it is incredibly obvious that she is about to walk into a giant painting.

Tonight I am going back to see Rebel Without A Cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks