What's new

The Abyss: 30 Anniversary screening? fathom events? ? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Fathom Events Customer Support (Fathom Events)

Jan 9, 13:24 MST

Hello, Jacob -

Thank you for contacting Fathom Events. At this time, there are no plans to present "True Lies" or "The Abyss" as Fathom Events. However, we love to hear from guests like you, and will happily pass this suggestion along to our Programming team for their consideration.

Thank you, and keep those ideas coming!
Fathom Events

Jacob Rubinstein

Jan 9, 13:06 MST

any chance of the abyss James Cameron classic this year or even true lies?

Jacob

Please email: [email protected] with your request for the 30 anniversary of the abyss and 25th anniversary of true lies.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Bummer. I loved seeing this movie opening night 30 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long—but then my thinning and greying hair tell me otherwise.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Talking film anniversaries, my theater recently sent me a note that there will be an 80th Anniversary Fathom event for Gone With the Wind. :eek:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I wouldn't mind seeing True Live again on the big screen. Could be fun.

Abyss on the other hand -_-

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I recall going to see The Abyss during its original run, I think back in August, 1989. However, I walked out on it! I made it through about an hour and a half and I found that it was just dragging on too long, and I found Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio annoying.

About 10 or 11 years later, I got The Abyss on DVD and watched the whole thing. I realized that in 1989 I'd made a mistake, as the movie got better over the last part that I missed when I walked out. Still nothing special, but not bad enough to walk out of, LOL.

Also, I was surprised to look this film up today on Rotten Tomatoes and see that it has an 89% rating. My recollection from almost 30 years ago was that critical reaction at the time was decidedly mixed, with many agreeing with my assessment that the film was bloated and overblown and lacking a compelling narrative. Commercially, there was also a sense that its box office, while not bad, did not justify its very high price tag. It wasn't regarded as a "Heaven's Gate", but a lot of money was spent on it and it didn't exactly do "Batman" numbers.

I guess time has created a nostalgic glow, or else younger critics who weren't around at the time it was released appreciate things about it that contemporary viewers didn't.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
While I really like this film, it suffers the most of what I call "Cameron-corn". Mary Elizabeth Manstrantonio's character, as well as the rat-boy guy, are prime examples of the down side of Cameron. Not really sure how to elaborate what I mean, but I'm sure some of you get it. Most of his films have it to a degree, but The Abyss has the most.

Regardless though I do really like the movie. I'd buy a Blu-ray if ever released as well as true lies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I suspect that if Fox were to allow Fathom to screen it, they would do it in conjunction with/for the purpose of promoting a Blu-ray release. And we all know James Cameron continues to hold that up because he insists on approving the transfer even though he apparently doesn't have time to do that because Avatar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Billy Wilder didn't approve the Blu-ray transfer of Sunset Boulevard, but I still have it and it still looks fantastic. So I really don't get why Cameron can't just deputize someone to do this. I hope and expect he remains in good health for years to come, but when he eventually passes away, how will they release his films if he's not around to approve new editions in forthcoming formats?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I suspect that if Fox were to allow Fathom to screen it, they would do it in conjunction with/for the purpose of promoting a Blu-ray release. And we all know James Cameron continues to hold that up because he insists on approving the transfer even though he apparently doesn't have time to do that because Avatar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Billy Wilder didn't approve the Blu-ray transfer of Sunset Boulevard, but I still have it and it still looks fantastic. So I really don't get why Cameron can't just deputize someone to do this. I hope and expect he remains in good health for years to come, but when he eventually passes away, how will they release his films if he's not around to approve new editions in forthcoming formats?
That was my theory on why there wouldn't be a Fathom Event for these films.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. There was and is no way either of these films would be a Fathom event ever.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I presume it's just a courtesy by Fox to Cameron while they're working together. I don't think it's a contractual obligation. If Cameron dies Fox will do whatever they want.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
It has the best death/resuscitation scene ever filmed imo.

Loved the rest of it too despite its corniness.
Same here, great all the (long) way until that cheap plastic comes out of the ocean and into the daylight.
How can anyone find Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio annoying? And the rat guy is great as well. Hell, even the bad guy is great.
And Under Pressure, the doc on the DVD, is great as well. I might not choose to work with, or under, Cameron, but he makes great movies, despite the cost to himself and his staff.
Quite interesting. Many people, including actors, come back again and again, like Sigourney, although Mary Elisabeth never did.
Bring on the blu, now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks