The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc_E, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Here it is. After the 58 page v2.0 thread, the new software update is just a couple of weeks away. Here is a list of the new features:
    Input / Output Changes
    • Auto-Digital Input Sensing by Source
    Goes to digital input first, if no signal is present then automatically switches to analog input.
    • Multiple Component-Input Assignment
    Component inputs can be assigned to any source, including multiple sources.
    • Multiple Digital-Input Assignment
    Digital inputs (RCA, TOS, AES/EBU) can be assigned to any source, including multiple sources.
    • 6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option
    • Duplicate Surround/Rear Output Option
    • Digital Output Dithered whenever A to D is set to 16 bit.
    Setup Menu Additions and Changes
    • Separate Cinema and Music Speaker Configurations, assignable to each source.
    • Auto-LFE Option determines Cinema/Music speaker configuration based on presence of LFE.
    • Room Resonance Filter to remove primary in-room bass standing-wave.
    • LFE Crossover Bypass recovers LFE information above subwoofer crossover setting.
    • Source Presets allow user definable mode presets for each source.
    • Source Setup defines operation parameters in one submenu for each source.
    • Adjustable Mute Level allows different mute level settings or silent.
    Operational Changes
    • FM and AM Preset Banks only scan through their respective presets. ---
    • Stereo / High Blend / Mono setting is memorized individually to each FM preset.
    • Unused FM/AM Presets are skipped when tuned to 87.5(FM) and 530(AM).
    • Individual Speaker Levels are memorized by Mode.
    • Super Subwoofer modified so LFE goes to subwoofer only.
    • Dynamics Reset to Normal whenever Main Power is turned Off/On.
    • PLII-Movie:Auto/Off allows ProLogic II-Movie to be automatically engaged or overridden
    for Dolby Digital-2.0 program material that contains the ProLogic flag.
    • Direct Access Codes for modes, adjustments, and tuner banks 6.9 Appendix A
    • Audio Group Delay direct access allows for visual audio delay alignment.
    • Factory Default 2-Ch Mode set to AnthemLogic-Cinema for all video sources (plus AUX) and
    AnthemLogic-Music for all audio sources.
    • Remote Control Volume Speed increased for more responsive operation. ---
    • Dashes in Hour Column of timers menu allows a specific timer to be skipped.
    • Bit Rate / Sample Rate Status Indicator (in status cycle). Displays PCM, Dolby Digital and 5.10
    DTS sample rates as applicable.
    Custom Installation
    • Fixed Output Option for Z2 and Z3
    • New v2.1 Serial Command List (available on Custom section of website) includes many
    additional new commands relevant to mode preset/selection.
    • Front Panel Buttons Lockout (for most buttons) enabled through serial command. Serial Command List
    • Serial Feedback for serial discrete volume command. Serial Command List
    • TATU, TATD, TFTU, TFTD serial commands to allow FM/AM tuning up/down without Serial Command List
    addressing a specific frequency.
    Manual Section
    Official announcement should be 8/1.
    Lets see how many pages we can get this one up to!
    Marc

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I would like to be one of the first to congratulate both Anthem & the Anthem owners.
    Looking over the list of features, I see many here that the B&K owners have been raving about for a long time, Myself included. This is a huge leap in flexibility to the AVM-20
    I'm sure all owners will rejoice once the update is made available.
    Congratulations to all [​IMG]

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Thanks Marc for the long list. While no new surround modes were added to v2.1 (i.e. DPL II), it seems like the software changed more for v2.1 than it did for v2.0. There is a little bit of something for everyone in this upgrade, so we will be spending a lot of time on this thread! [​IMG]

One item that wasn't listed by Anthem as a "feature" is the fact that the setup menu structure has been reordered. Certain menus will look similar to those in v2.0x, but IMO the ordering is a lot easier to follow, despite adding a lot of new setup options.

Just to complete the circle, here is the link to the AVM-20 v2.0 thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=93545

Off to work, more on this later.

Michael

4. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

This upgrade truly makes the Anthem a wonder. The things they have done at the software level are amazing. The folks at Anthem really do listen to what we have to say. That is a rare thing in this day and age.

5. Mike Koch

Mike Koch Extra

I hope that there will be a revised manual for those of us who are a little slow to catch on. I think the new thread is great and will save a lot of time. I am a former owner of the Sony tae9000es and there was a great forum devoted just to that unit. I wish that would happen for the Anthem.

6. Randy Haines

Randy Haines Stunt Coordinator

Well, a new day and new thread. It's fitting for all of the changes and new features becoming available for the AVM20. We had a good run on the other forum, I hope this one does as well.

I appreciate the new menu structuring. It seems to flow much better than before, more concise in breadth of choices. I like all of the new features offered, well, except for the super fast volume ramp-up. I see lot's of blown drivers down the line from accidentally too high volume from this.

Thanks for starting this, Marc. I look forward to all the comments and new people that will join us here. And I know there will be lots of new people after news of this upgrade gets out.

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to list the upgrades. This should be an interesting thread/buzz when the upgrade is available to the general public.

The Anthem for me has performed flawlessly with a few bumps along the road, but has met all my expectations. The new software will be like a complete upgrade as you suggest.

Looking forward to it!!

Charles

8. Randy Haines

Mike,

There will be a revised manual available when the upgrade comes out. Are you looking for an entire forum or a thread for the Anthem, such as the one we are posting on?

9. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

I know I've said it before, but I've just got to say it again......I LOVE MY ANTHEM!!!

Randy, the super fast volume control was a surprise, but with some practice, or for new AVM owners, it's also easy to get used to. Besides, it's not as "fast" as the super fast volume problem I had in the past [see the old thread] (which by the way was rectified super fast by Anthem).

With all the new features, this is like getting a whole new pre-pro all over again!

I REALLY DO LOVE MY ANTHEM!!!

10. Randy Haines

Pro,

I am getting used to it, but I did suffer one blown sub driver a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, I keep extra drivers because of the high power in use. I'm much better and more judicious in my handling of that now. We're all out of the receiver level of power here and use real high power gear. That's what concerns me because of my mistake. Ever vigilant now, though.

11. Jerry Klawiter

12. Michael Mohrmann

13. Michael Mohrmann

Mike,

14. Jerry Klawiter

Michael,
    Thanks for clarifying my statement about the max volume level. It was not an intentional error.
    I understand how horrible that some fast volumes can be without a safety feature. I also have a Denon AVR-5700
    That volume level smokes up & down in speed.
    I can say I really hate this.
    -Jerry

15. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I really wish there was a forum dedicated to Anthem products instead of a never ending monster thread to go through... Took me hours to surf the last 2.0 thread!

Anxious to get the new version!

Anthem really knows how to improve an already awesome product.

16. Randy Haines

Geez, now I'm old at something else. I am adjusting to the volume. I don't believe a unilateral cap or preset level would do though, since lots of discs and other program are recorded at significantly different levels, and besides, our own preferences are different. I guess I should admit that I am one prone to playing it loud. Comes from mixing live stuff, I think. I like to not just hear and see it but be enveloped by it, totally. So, I'll just continue to stock drivers and figure I'm not going to change my habits at this point in my life.

Newcomers won't be affected at all since they have no prior experience with the older software. Hey this is a minor issue overall. But it's already sparked a number of posts. Seems like we were all dieing(sp?) to talk about the Anthem again.

I also have a Pioneer low line receiver that has an incredibly speedy volume control on it. I've learned to deal with that, but then I don't play that system like I do the one with the Anthem.

17. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Bliss!

This upgrade will now provide the few things I miss about my old B&K Ref 30: preset modes for each input, selectable speaker configuration for each input, and auto signal sensing (very useful for the LD, with the coax DD, optical DPL, and analog for commentary).

The other features look to be extremely cool as well.

Can't wait!
    Thanks for the great news (and new thread).

Scott

18. Mike Koch

Mike Koch Extra

19. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

20. Michael Mohrmann

Scott,