What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

RandyRSh

Auditioning
Hi all,

In looking for a replacement pre/pro, I stumbled across a great offer from my local dealer on the AVM20v2.09. I took it home last night and could only get the 6mc analog input to work, so took it back today for service. However, I was pretty impressed in listening to SACD thru the mc input, so I'm looking forward to getting a functional unit. The new software looks like it will satisfy about all the requests I would have!!

One question that I couldn't quickly find an answer to in the manual or the other long thread--can you assign a default video input to the 6mc analog input (so that you can navigate DVD-A menus, etc.)?

thanks for all the hard work guys!

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Well, I am not sure that v2.10 is the complete answer for your desires.
Thanks for the clarification. I think this will still be close enough for my needs, if the "music mode" involves being able to designate the center speaker off, while keeping the surrounds on. That is a nice alternative to Stereo for many two-channel music sources, and allows ambience retrieval to the surrounds without collapsing the front soundstage to the center. Anthem Logic Music mode does a pretty good job of not putting too much signal in the center speaker, and I far prefer it to PLII, but I would probably like it even better if the center channel were off.

As far as the digital sensing goes, I understand. It will still be easier than going into the menu and switching the input signal manually. I can set-up a second input for the other digital output for my LD.

Do you know if we will be able to assign regular video sources to multiple audio sources? Simulcast works, fine, so it's not a big deal, but the note about assigning the component video to multiple sources, made me think of it.

This looks to be an amazing upgrade. Thanks for the news.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Scott,

Anthem Logic Music mode does a pretty good job of not putting too much signal in the center speaker, and I far prefer it to PLII, but I would probably like it even better if the center channel were off.
I will let you in on a little secret. The center speaker does not play while in AnthemLogic Music mode (it is active in AnthemLogic Cinema mode). Maybe it's the AVM-20's wonderful stereo imaging you are hearing! :)

Michael

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Here's a dumb question:

So if I have a 5.1 set up, but I have a pair of dipole/bipole speakers that I wanna use for movies and then a pair of direct radiating that I wanna use for music, then
with the new • 6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option or
• Duplicate Surround/Rear Output Option ...
Would I be able to hook up both pairs of spks like I had 7.1 but run it as 5.1 and then turn off one or the other via the Anthem.

I think Denon receivers had something like this.

(I hope I made sense. If not I'll just delete this post.)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
RandyRSh,

Do you know if we will be able to assign regular video sources to multiple audio sources?
Unless I missed it, you can not assign any of the Composite or S-Video inputs to any source other than the one that it is labeled as on the back panel.

Michael

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

With the new software, you'll be able to switch those speakers, but I don't think you'll be able to turn one or the other off, unless you turn the amps powering them off. I may be wrong, too. Denon receivers did have a feature like that, where you could switch them. I don't remember if you could also selectively turn them off. I see a couple of posts ago that the center channel can be turned off for some modes, perhaps it can happen for the surrounds/rears, too. I need to read the new manual first for that part. Wait, you may be able to turn on pair or the other off after switching by then designating the system as 5.1, instead of 7.1. Try that and see.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Chris,

The "6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option" is for those owners who want to use the rear speakers in a 7.1 setup as the surround speakers for the 6 Channel Input. This reverse option is negated in the software for all other inputs.

You can set either the "Cinema" or "Music" configurations to be 5.1, but Anthem requires the surround speakers to be selected, with the rear speakers off.

So, at the moment, I can't think of an easy way to implement this concept, unless you are using the 6 Channel Input for all of your music.

Geez guys, the software hasn't been released yet and you have already broke it! ;)

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
JimmyK,

Also, for those of you who seem to already have v2.10, have you noticed any bugs?

I'm inclined to wait until many of you have assured me that the bugs have been worked out.:D
If you have no immediate need for v2.10, that's not a bad plan. It should be determined in a couple of weeks whether there will be any issues that pop up.

Remember, if you decide to install v2.10 and don't like it or it has problems, you can always go back to v2.09 (keep a version on your PC just in case).

Also, use the configuration settings saver on the AVM-20's site to save your v2.09 settings before performing the install in case you decide to reinstall v2.09. V2.10 will wipe out your v2.09 settings when it is installed (well, at least it did during my beta testing).

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

I was looking for something like this: Link Removed
Are you thinking it would be a subcategory within this particular community, or would the Anthem Forum be its own community? I like the clean nature of the forum, but without any other topics to discuss, like general HT and such, I wonder how many AVM-20 owners (and potential AVM-20 owners!) would find their way over to this site?

One such attempt at an Anthem forum was tried (and failed! :frowning:) over at (it was within the Specialty Clubs):

http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?CFB=1

At least with HTGuide, there are other forums that some new people might be browsing in. That's the one appeal of this thread and forum, the attraction to a lot of people looking for information about HT processors. I suppose if a few of us plead our case, we could open the forum again, just in time for the v2.10 release.

But no one says we can't do both. It has worked for other groups, such as the Rotel Club at HTGuide and the Lexicon Forum at the SMR Forums. It would be great to be able to post separate topics about the AVM-20, and I would be more than willing to go (or stay) where the other AVM-20 owners wish to be.

Michael

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I will let you in on a little secret. The center speaker does not play while in AnthemLogic Music mode (it is active in AnthemLogic Cinema mode). Maybe it's the AVM-20's wonderful stereo imaging you are hearing!
:b

Well, I'll be.

The imaging of my Vandersteens is also partly responsible. When I had my B&K I would often listen to music in "Surround 4," which used front LR, and rears. I would often be so struck by how solid the front imaging would be from these speakers that I would have to put my ear to the center channel to confirm that it was off. I suppose I misread the manual, but I was under the impression the AnthemLogic Music used all speakers, so I never bothered to confirm whether the center was acutally utilized until your post. Boy am I embarrassed, but thanks for the heads up. :)

Now, am I reading correctly that they are adding direct access codes for the surround modes? If so, do you know if they are revising their Pronto CCF to include these new remote codes?

Thanks again.

Scott

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Would I be able to hook up both pairs of spks like I had 7.1 but run it as 5.1 and then turn off one or the other via the Anthem.
If you had seperate amps for the sides and rears, and selected duplicate sides to rears, you might be able to do some tweaking with the triggers. Have different inputs set off different triggers witch turn the amps on. Not the best way, but it should work.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Michael!

Also, use the configuration settings saver on the AVM-20's site to save your v2.09 settings before performing the install in case you decide to reinstall v2.09. V2.10 will wipe out your v2.09 settings when it is installed (well, at least it did during my beta testing).
I glad you mentioned this. I spent a considerable amount of time getting all the settings tweeked to my satisfaction. Perhaps I should write them down so I can re-enter them after the updated software is loaded.

I have a couple other questions if you don't mind...:)

I noticed the comments about "volume control speed" being increased. Will we still have a choice of slow or fast speeds for volume?

Are there any features in v2.09 that are being eliminated? Or are all the features in v2.10 additions/improvements to v2.09?

Thanks again!

JimmyK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jimmy,

Are there any features in v2.09 that are being eliminated? Or are all the features in v2.10 additions/improvements to v2.09?
The only obvious one to me is the "Super" setting for the subwoofer. Whereas before the LFE (.1) channel would be summed with the bass and sent to the subwoofer and "large" mains (and surrounds?), the LFE now stays with the subwoofer.

This is probably a good thing, since most main speakers can not handle the dynamic range of the LFE channel, but some may not like the difference. Of course, there are other settings I feel will more than compensate for this change (like the LFE Crossover Bypass option:):):)).

Michael

Mike Koch

Grip
Michael Mohrmann,
I think our own forum with seperate topics or threads would be great. It seems crazy to have to read through all of the posts and the occasional off topic posts. The Sony tae9000es board was great, I went to the threads that I was interested in and skipped others. I still visited this site every day too. I'm not smart enough to know if it could be done here or would require someone to set up a whole new website.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
My settings were not wiped out from 2.09 during beta testing. I went through and redid everything anyway, and also noticed a difference. I saved them first using the setting on the AVM20. I didn't know you could save setting to the website. I had to reset after one processor freakout with the first beta, but then it has been stable since.

I also noticed that the remote seems to be more responsive now than with 2.0x, but thought maybe I wasn't paying enough attention before.

After playing some CD's and the Sarah McLaglan DVD yesterday after installing and tweaking 2.10, I am really thrilled. It just sounds beautiful.
I was totally enveloped in the soundfield, just as if I had been there. It seems to be more responsive, and articulate than ever. For something in this price range, I am just astounded.:D

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
I will miss the "super" setting. I have the Studio 100s v.2. What is the LFE bypass option? This maybe a stupid question. Will there be a way for me to utilize my subwoofer when running my turntable in analog direct? This thread will be 58 pages long before you know it.
Generally there is not enough action here to bother me. Only spurts like this become a little busy to read everything. I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say about the AVM20.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks again, Michael!

I can't tell you how much help you have been in helping me get the most out of my AVM20.

And of course, I have more questions.:D

That's a good idea, except I would recalibrate using the internal tones again instead of using the old values. My adjustments changed some with the upgrade.
Did you only have to recalibrate levels? I take it you did not have to re-evaluate your crossover settings to maintain a proper frequency balance/blend.

Thanks again. I'm trying to understand all the new features so I can decide if I want to upgrade or not.

JimmyK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jason,

Will there be a way for me to utilize my subwoofer when running my turntable in analog direct?
This is still a no-go. Anthem does not want to turn on any additional circuits when in analog bypass mode. Can't say I blame them. An external crossover connected to the main L/R outputs going to the subwoofer might be workable, especially one like the Paradigm X-30. You could have the subwoofer fill in the bass for the mains (I am assuming that your mains are set to "large"/no crossover).

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jimmy,

Did you only have to recalibrate levels? I take it you did not have to re-evaluate your crossover settings to maintain a proper frequency balance/blend.
Actually, I did re-evaluate my crossover settings because of the LFE Crossover Bypass option and the fact that I could set up two separate speaker configurations ("Cinema" and "Music"). I wanted to drop my crossover lower than 80Hz, but I knew this would lose some of the LFE channel. Now, I could lower th crossovers and still keep all of the LFE channel. So, I have been trying out different setups again! :)

Michael

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
I was using the old "super" setting and have now migrated to the new one. It sounded great to me before and that hasn't changed one bit. I can't say yet that the new "super" setting is any better (not enough listening time to tell, and too hard to A:B it), but I CAN say that it does NOT sound worse. Maybe it is better. Bass remains very solid and tight all the way around. The different settings for Music and Cinema are AWESOME!!!

The direct mode access' for the surround is also great.

The "swappable" rear speakers is very nice, even though I was just beginning to appreciate the ability to play my DVD-A's through all 7 speakers.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks