What's new

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27 (1 Viewer)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
A poster on threestooges.net said the box set has the blackout. The post was from 2013, so I am assuming they have the 2012 boxset, and not the 2016.

From the discussion of the short at the dot-net forum, I found this quote from Squirrelbait:
"By the way, what exactly happened to cause a blackout in the scene with Moe and Curly under the bed? In the box set, that bit is missing altogether."

The discussion of individual films on that site often referred to then-available copies posted to YouTube. Older transfers of those films displayed any and all types of damage and repair. I've uploaded a clip to show what the scene looked like on vhs:

Could be blackout editing tape on the print to cover damage, or missing picture on the neg (blank picture area would print as black on the positive). Only the "fixed" version made it to the remastered sets.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
From the discussion of the short at the dot-net forum, I found this quote from Squirrelbait:
"By the way, what exactly happened to cause a blackout in the scene with Moe and Curly under the bed? In the box set, that bit is missing altogether."

The discussion of individual films on that site often referred to then-available copies posted to YouTube. Older transfers of those films displayed any and all types of damage and repair. I've uploaded a clip to show what the scene looked like on vhs:

Could be blackout editing tape on the print to cover damage, or missing picture on the neg (blank picture area would print as black on the positive). Only the "fixed" version made it to the remastered sets.

This is missing from which box set ? I have the big box ultimate collection . Is this the best to have , Sure wish they would do a bluray all ready .

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
That person specifically said that it was that way on the boxed set.

I used to post at threestooges.net (now moronika.com) years ago as "Thumptheshoes". Throughout the years, the forum has had its share of pranksters and false information. For instance, one member, Moron4392, claimed to have received a double volume 1 set of remastered shorts that included the first 19 colorized as well as in black and white. Never substantiated.

I can say for sure that I have the original 8, individual Stooges volumes as well as the later-issued boxed set that omits the anaglyph 3-d shorts. The content and the vob file dates on the "Ants.." disc are identical.

Real Name
Steven Burstein
One of the Hallmarks of The Three Stooges 190 Columbia shorts is their reputation for being of near pristine quality.

Thus, the unexpected appearance of scratches and specks in the opening credits for IDIOTS DELUXE (1945) surprised me a bit. It is easily the worst that I've seen in the Curly, Larry and Moe shorts, so far, and I have been viewing these in order from their Columbia WOMAN HATERS (1934) debut! This is also the first Three Stooges short subject to feature the Comedy Mask adorned opening, and also the first in the '40s to not bear the "Columbia Short Subject Presentation" tagline. The body of this short otherwise lives up to the generally near pristine state of the Stooges Columbia Pictures film library, however!

The Debut Of The Three Stooges Comedy Mask Adorned Opening Bears Uncharacteristic (For The Stooges Columbia 190!) Film Damage! Note The Deep, And Somewhat Perforated Scratch That Runs Near The Right Edge Of The Image!:
View attachment 40758

View attachment 40760

CHEERS! :)
And this was even one of the shorts Columbia reissued to theaters in the 70s!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, as usual, i’m very late regarding The Three Stooges releases on DVD. I had never considered collecting The Three Stooges, I did watch their shorts daily in my youth as it aired in syndication. But I had not seen their shorts in a long time as they are being aired this weekend on Catchy Comedy. I am impressed how good the prints look from the Columbia era. So I was curious about maybe collecting their shorts.

I did a ltitle research and I see that the shorts from the Columbia era has been released in a box set from 2012. It was called the Ultimate Collection. And there was discussion on this thread about a rare treasures discs inclusion.

From what I‘m finding, that Ultimate Collection has been superseded by a Complete Collection Box set? At Amazon, I see there are two releases available.

The Three Stooges Complete Collection DVD box set released in 2016 for $33.51.
The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection from 2012 for $85.96 from a third party seller.

I figure the $33.51 set is a pretty good deal and could be all I need. What do you experts think? I forgot to ask, I hope it includes Men in Black.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Hey guys, as usual, i’m very late regarding The Three Stooges releases on DVD. I had never considered collecting The Three Stooges, I did watch their shorts daily in my youth as it aired in syndication. But I had not seen their shorts in a long time as they are being aired this weekend on Catchy Comedy. I am impressed how good the prints look from the Columbia era. So I was curious about maybe collecting their shorts.

I did a ltitle research and I see that the shorts from the Columbia era has been released in a box set from 2012. It was called the Ultimate Collection. And there was discussion on this thread about a rare treasures discs inclusion.

From what I‘m finding, that Ultimate Collection has been superseded by a Complete Collection Box set? At Amazon, I see there are two releases available.

The Three Stooges Complete Collection DVD box set released in 2016 for $33.51.
The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection from 2012 for $85.96 from a third party seller.

I figure the $33.51 set is a pretty good deal and could be all I need. What do you experts think? I forgot to ask, I hope it includes Men in Black.
Since your just a casual stooges fan Get the The Three Stooges Complete Collection for $33 , you can beat that price . The prints are the same , Sony . Just a smaller set probably might be stacked on a spindle ...I am not sure about that . And it has all 190 shorts ! The ultimate collection is a very bulky set but a must have for die hard like myself . A blu-ray collection is are dream !!! Come on Sony , Do it all ready .

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Thanks Steve. From what I found from some research is the Complete set just doesn’t include the Rare Treasures from the Columbia Picture Vault three disc set.
The bonus 3 disc set offers the only full length movie with Curly Howard Rockin' in the Rockies 1945 , But this is out on blu-ray on the budget label Millcreek . I can't verify which one is better , Millcreek does not do very good , But there blu-rays are not bad at all . And it is a real 1080P . The bonus dvd is just a old 480I scan .

You can get it for $5+ $3 for shipping here https://www.ebay.com/itm/394473991377?epid=19046037632&hash=item5bd87b6cd1:g:Q6gAAOSwhClgh-Hi&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4It5eaWIgX731qosV2NEyesfF7xJrMon/BK5qPE6DXizPyblzwS6tpCeUHWehxGnwWThQDa3cZp+Ao8zXAHRe+pY5KEQRR/hVOhu81qogQ3bZGjmRKpoiQIJwTetdjkhVhAcSPwxRJTtS2RK5U7tOK4maYa7p0dSbJ0k16ZZMO6CT3WzqFzIeT+UDuq4lJUiyH34k/m3F2nFnYPA6qIsjbcRlcqAADITovAV6Rgl5gJDlqnm/+cIJZrfqE7LH/bkWSvHHgOH2OJ4W/2NmHNfFGc7x5IXjL5OgUe7ZfysV3GG|tkp:Bk9SR_TgoaPrYg

The 3 dvd bonus disc there is 1 copy left $9.99 ships from Amazon with free shipping and easy free returns for what look's like the the real one , There is a dvd-R going around , that you don't want .

You would be all set with this 1 blu-ray , the 3 dvd bonus disc and the $33 190 short set from Sony . You can't go wrong :)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Thanks Steve, yeah the Amazon DVD offering seems like the way to go. I have some Millcreek blu rays and of the ones I have, they have been ok.
Your welcome , Yeah MC not bad except the horribly botched I dream of Jeannie Blu-ray box , It was so bad I returned it .

I highly recommend the 4 dvds columbia /tristar did for the stooges in color . I am not a fan of colorized stuff at all but this is something very special they did , The spent many hours researching and getting the correct colors . Its incredible Once you see them in color , Its hard to watch the B/W versions which they also do give you the option to do . There were only 4 dvds , So its like 16 episodes in color . here is one to give you an example https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Three-Stooges-Stooged-Confoosed-DVD/2689381 , If you look around ebay , amazon , walmart , mercari you can find them really cheap . There still in print but about double the price . Only the ones that say Columbia pictures on the front . anything else that was colorized is junk . have a good night .

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks Steve. From what I found from some research is the Complete set just doesn’t include the Rare Treasures from the Columbia Picture Vault three disc set.
That is 100% correct.

The "Complete Set" is a spindle pack type release - all discs on a single spindle in a cheap case. The discs are identical to the original volume releases.

The "Ultimate" collection is all the original remastered individual volumes packaged in a box along with the "Rare Treasures" set.

AND - In the "Ultimate" collection that "Rare Treasures" release has 2 shorts that were filmed in 3D, Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire," along with 2 pairs of red/green 3D glasses. The stand-alone "Rare Treasures" has those 2 in flat presentation only - no 3D.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
That is 100% correct.

The "Complete Set" is a spindle pack type release - all discs on a single spindle in a cheap case. The discs are identical to the original volume releases.

The "Ultimate" collection is all the original remastered individual volumes packaged in a box along with the "Rare Treasures" set.

AND - In the "Ultimate" collection that "Rare Treasures" release has 2 shorts that were filmed in 3D, Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire," along with 2 pairs of red/green 3D glasses. The stand-alone "Rare Treasures" has those 2 in flat presentation only - no 3D.
You can also get the 2 3D shorts in HD from here , shipping is a little steep , But when this one goes on sale to like half price during there sales , Probably be had for $20 shipped . https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/products/the-mad-magician-bd?_pos=1&_sid=f6826b66e&_ss=r region free , the USA disc goes for a fortune , no need because the quality on this is better . the only bad thing is they don't have a picture of the stooges on the back like the Twilight Time USA edition does .

• Two short films starring the Three Stooges: Spooks! (1953) and Pardon My Backfire (1953), presented in 3D and 2D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I forgot to add more info about that "Rare Treasures" release... and an update after checking my copies...

The 2 3D shorts are *not* on the releases of "Rare Treasures." They *are* on the 2009 release of Volume 7 (1952-1954) and appear on that set in both 3D & 2D, along with a pair of glasses. However, Sony *removed* the 3D versions from that volume starting with the 2013 pressings of the discs. I *think* they're in 3d & 2D on the "Ultimate Collection" but don't know 100% as my copy of that one is still unopened (I also have the stand-alone releases of all the sets and purchased early enough that my V7 does have the 3D versions).

IMHO the "Rare Treasures" set is truly for "collectors" as much of the material is rather "meh." It's mostly solo two-reelers from 3 of the "3rd Stooge" slot members. Disc 1 is a couple of movies: Rockin' in the Rockies (w/Curly) and Have Rocket, Will Travel (with Curly Joe [DeRita]) and 3 early Columbia Cartoons (I've never liked those). Disc 2 features the two-reelers from Shemp (solo), which are quite good. Disc 3 features shorts from Joe Besser and Joe DeRita - a couple of comedians I don't particularly care for.

The 2 movies, as has been previously mentioned, are on a Mill Creek BR release along with Time Out for Rhythm (also featuring Curly as well as Ted Healy - BUT they're not the main stars though *do* appear throughout the film). Unless you're a huge Shemp fan I'd go for the BR over the "Rare Treasures" as it has both movies in which Curly appears. Frankly, the movies the Stooges made just aren't that good - no matter who's in the "3rd Stooge" slot. Those are more nostalgia things - at least for me as I was a wee lad when the 4 post-Curly ones were released (Have Rocket, Will Travel and later).

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Howie, thanks for the additional info. From what I’m hearing from you and others, I have to agree the Rare Treasures is for the hardcore fans. I’m more a casual fan.

It does seem unfortunate that the 3D material from the earlier releases is not available now.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Thanks for the confirmation Howie and about the packaging of the complete set.

And thanks for that added info Steve.
no problem , your welcome . Now that I look at the powerhouse UK , and there is a sale 3 blu-rays for 20£
Hey Howie, thanks for the additional info. From what I’m hearing from you and others, I have to agree the Rare Treasures is for the hardcore fans. I’m more a casual fan.

It does seem unfortunate that the 3D material from the earlier releases is not available now.
You can easily get the UK disc and its on sale now , And is much much better on bluray in 3D and 2D . The dvd's are extremely grainy in 480i of these 2 3D episodes on the Sony discs . Like said above they have been removed from all Sony USA sets . Plus you also get a pretty fun Vincent Price movie on the Indicator powerhouse bluray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks