What's new

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27 (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
highly recommend getting the dvd set , comes with a lot of goodies . better picture quality then decades (decades is broadcast in 480I , the dvds up-converted on a bluray player should look much sharper ) , no commercials and logos or other annoying things popping on the screen . $12.50 at amazon is a steal , it should be back in stock soon . I hope .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One of the Hallmarks of The Three Stooges 190 Columbia shorts is their reputation for being of near pristine quality.

Thus, the unexpected appearance of scratches and specks in the opening credits for IDIOTS DELUXE (1945) surprised me a bit. It is easily the worst that I've seen in the Curly, Larry and Moe shorts, so far, and I have been viewing these in order from their Columbia WOMAN HATERS (1934) debut! This is also the first Three Stooges short subject to feature the Comedy Mask adorned opening, and also the first in the '40s to not bear the "Columbia Short Subject Presentation" tagline. The body of this short otherwise lives up to the generally near pristine state of the Stooges Columbia Pictures film library, however!

The Debut Of The Three Stooges Comedy Mask Adorned Opening Bears Uncharacteristic (For The Stooges Columbia 190!) Film Damage! Note The Deep, And Somewhat Perforated Scratch That Runs Near The Right Edge Of The Image!:
vlcsnap-2017-09-27-14h43m54s228.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-27-14h36m38s448.png

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
It's been awhile , I thought I'd post something on the boys ,Kinda more of a concern . I had to get my first set of glasses getting old sucks lol. I noticed right away that I am seeing grain like I never have in everything old on tv and very much so on the Three Stooges shorts . Is this the case , Is they more than heavy grain on there faces ? I just never seen it like that before . It's better then having DNR but this seems so be excessive . Still no word at all on a bluray set . I wonder if it's the grain which would be intensified in HD that there not doing bluray or just lack of interest .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's been awhile , I thought I'd post something on the boys ,Kinda more of a concern . I had to get my first set of glasses getting old sucks lol. I noticed right away that I am seeing grain like I never have in everything old on tv and very much so on the Three Stooges shorts . Is this the case , Is they more than heavy grain on there faces ? I just never seen it like that before . It's better then having DNR but this seems so be excessive . Still no word at all on a bluray set . I wonder if it's the grain which would be intensified in HD that there not doing bluray or just lack of interest .
If anything, I'd suspect that grain would inherently be less of an issue on a Blu-ray release. As I recall, the Sony DVD of THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965) featured heavy, swarming grain, much unlike its more recent Blu-ray release.

I turn 55 in two months. In the past couple of years, I had to get bifocals, and now have a heck of a time with readjusting fonts just to see lettering clearly, and can only see the biggest lettering at a distance, now. It used to be with every new prescription, I could then read small lettering at a good distance quite well. Not anymore. :(

Yep, getting old does suck in some respects, and it's very much a your mileage may vary proposition. At least I still have all of my essential parts with varying degrees of function. :D

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Hi Tony , Oh man ... I'm going to be 50 and this started a few years ago . While glasses are really annoying I am finally seeing stuff like a hockey puck (lol) that I was not able to see the last few years all to good . Grain in movies I never knew was there before . Well if that us the case about the Stooges man would they release them on blu-ray all ready or 4k UHD , wouldn't that be awesome . (I know I'm dreaming) Just do them MOD if there so worried about losing money or whatever it is .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hi Tony , Oh man ... I'm going to be 50 and this started a few years ago . While glasses are really annoying I am finally seeing stuff like a hockey puck (lol) that I was not able to see the last few years all to good . Grain in movies I never knew was there before . Well if that us the case about the Stooges man would they release them on blu-ray all ready or 4k UHD , wouldn't that be awesome . (I know I'm dreaming) Just do them MOD if there so worried about losing money or whatever it is .
To my recollection, the Stooges Columbia shorts were scanned in 1080p, or 2k, so I highly doubt that any UHD release would be in the offing, when Sony apparently can't even be bothered to issue them to standard Blu-ray. Perhaps they'll eventually make 1080p versions available for digital download (Not my personal preference, but never mind!), but who knows?

At least the DVDs look good for what they are.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
And I still wonder why THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT has been left out of all the various releases. Not on the Mill Creek Blu-ray set or the Time-Life packages. It is available for free streaming for Amazon Prime members.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
And I still wonder why THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT has been left out of all the various releases. Not on the Mill Creek Blu-ray set or the Time-Life packages. It is available for free streaming for Amazon Prime members.
I just checked out the amazon prime video, it's horrible picture quality . Extremely dark and washed out and lot of little speckles all over the place .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I just checked out the amazon prime video, it's horrible picture quality . Extremely dark and washed out and lot of little speckles all over the place .

I would hope that the early 2000s Sony DVD release looks better than the Amazon Prime presentation. How disappointing!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It is strange that The Three Stooges in Orbit wasn't included in the earlier sets because, at least in my opinion, it is the best of the Curly-Joe features.
I agree with you regarding that.

While it's too bad that THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT remains the only Stooges Columbia Feature released between 1959 - 1965 that has yet to see Blu-ray release, at least the 2003 Sony DVD still presumably looks a lot better than any of the KOOKS TOUR home video releases.

That said, I'm hesitant to buy the aforementioned DVD, lest an unexpected Blu-ray release suddenly drops out of orbit! :D

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Can someone who has this check the short ANTS IN THE PANTRY around the 5:24 mark. Does the lady say "Oh, have them cleaned out immediately " and the a fade out, or does she say "Have them cleaned out immediately" with a cut to Moe and Curly under the bed? Thanks

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Can someone who has this check the short ANTS IN THE PANTRY around the 5:24 mark. Does the lady say "Oh, have them cleaned out immediately " and the a fade out, or does she say "Have them cleaned out immediately" with a cut to Moe and Curly under the bed? Thanks
The single set doesn't have the fade. Anyone?

It's the "Have them cleaned out immediately" with a cut to Moe and Curly under the bed, and no fade out, at around the 5:42 mark on my THE THREE STOOGES: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION 20 DVD set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Might that be a TV print transfer that has the fadeout, perhaps?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A poster on threestooges.net said the box set has the blackout. The post was from 2013, so I am assuming they have the 2012 boxset, and not the 2016.
I'm thinking this must be a selective thing, as I ordered my Three Stooges 20 DVD Boxset in early 2014, and that title doesn't have the blackout where you stated. My set however, didn't have the 3-D versions of their two 1953 shorts, unlike the earlier pressings, so perhaps there might be some correlation there?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'm thinking this must be a selective thing, as I ordered my Three Stooges 20 DVD Boxset in early 2014, and that title doesn't have the blackout where you stated. My set however, didn't have the 3-D versions of their two 1953 shorts, unlike the earlier pressings, so perhaps there might be some correlation there?

Hold on a minute...

So are you saying there was remastering done after the individual sets were released? I knew about the 3-D shorts being dropped, but I just assumed the rest would be the same.

On the original volume, there is an authoring error on "Slaphappy Sleuths" which has the very beginning clipped and the theme music is joined in progress. Was this ever fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks