What's new

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27 (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For those who want SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE in 3D anaglyph, THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION: VOL. 7: 1952-1954 DVD Set can still be had at a very nice price on U.S. Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Collection-Vol-1952-1954/dp/B002MJV786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441492948&sr=8-1&keywords=the+three+stooges+volume+7

CHEERS! :)

Note: For Canadian isp connections, there may be redirection to Canadian Amazon, where the price isn't quite as nice, at the moment! :P

Update: From what I've read in Amazon comments for this volume, getting the pre 2013 pressings that include the 3D versions of the aforementioned titles may unfortunately be a hit or miss proposition!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As great as these Three Stooges Volumes look on DVD, I'm thinking of the possible fixes that could be incorporated into a Blu-ray Issue:

1. While all 190 shorts already have 1080p scans, the two 3D shorts, SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE (Both 1953) could really benefit from improved 3D anaglyph scans, and this could also be an ideal opportunity to restore the correct sepia tint to the former.

2. GOOF ON A ROOF (1953) could be issued in its originally 1952 filmed non matte 1.37:1 Academy Ratio. In addition, with the allowed added capacity that Blu-ray affords, Disc 2 of the Volume 7 set could easily accommodate both 2D/3D versions of the above aforementioned shorts, and both Academy & Widescreen versions of GOOF ON A ROOF without compromising BD Disc quality!

3. FLYING SAUCER DAFFY (1958) could incorporate both original Stereo (Assuming it is extant!) and Monophonic releases!

Honorable Mention: I would also prefer for the Sony Logo that follows the end of each short in most of the DVD volumes to be removed from a Blu-ray issue.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Good luck getting that awful Sony logo off the end of anything. They plaster that junk on anything they distribute whether or not they had anything to do with the original release! I've developed a deft hand at hitting the "menu" button as soon as credits finish on any Sony product just to avoid that logo.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
BobO'Link said:
Good luck getting that awful Sony logo off the end of anything. They plaster that junk on anything they distribute whether or not they had anything to do with the original release! I've developed a deft hand at hitting the "menu" button as soon as credits finish on any Sony product just to avoid that logo.
Hi Howie!

It doesn't really bother me too much, as I usually play just 1 or 2 shorts at a time, though it would be nice to have the option of accessing the "Play All" feature without having to sit through the Sony Logo after every Three Stooges short!

The Little Rascals 7 DVD Volumes by RHI/Vivendi are actually worse for this, as the RHI Logo precedes AND follows EVERY short, which gets very annoying when accessing the included "Play All" option! Worse still, there is a bit of "End of short" audio overlap with the RHI/Vivendi Logo after a few of these! :P

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Does the ultimate box volume 7 contain the 3D episodes that were removed for the single set ? I purchased mine in 2016 from amazon.
As the last 3D versions of Volume 7 were pressed late 2012 - early 2013, I'd say your set is highly unlikely to have it. Your best bet might be to seek out an advertised as 3-D Volume 7 on eBay, as I'm pretty sure Amazon Marketplace won't be that specific for used copies.

It would be great if Sony someday reinstates the 3-D shorts for a future Blu-ray release, this time in their proper polarized originals, rather than the prior rather inferior anaglyphs!

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
the box itself looks pretty darn old even if it's sealed . Did they really press more of these ultimate boxes after 2012 ? I thought they were not selling good and they went on clearance (most people had all ready bought them individually and the bonus set disc you can get the 2 Curly movies on bluray ) the 28 shorts are ok but there not three stooges shorts . The 14 from Shemp would be interesting to watch .

I had another box from 2014 that I sold , It did have the 3d and glasses .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Steve, from my understanding and either Tony or someone else on here can back me up on this, they made a second edition of this set but didn't include the 3D glasses as the shorts that were originally in 3D were now going to be in 2D format and yes, have been seeing this set as low as $24.99 but it fluctuates by month it seems on the price, but still highly recommend this set for the value and all the extra stuff to boot.
The set I ordered from Amazon Canada in January 2014 includes the 2-D versions only. Insofar as the Ultimate Collection DVD set, I believe it was only the first pressings in 2012 that also included the 3-D versions.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Do we have any idea what the new collection coming out in October will have in it ?
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...lete-set-1934-1959/30228807?ean=0043396489301
It seems this release is coming out very quietly . There is no artwork anywhere to be found or details other then it looks to be 17 discs so probably minus the Treasures 3 disc set . I'm hoping for a slim downed package and the 2 shorts back in 3d . (but please no spindle) . This so should have been a blu-ray set just in time to go along with all the other classic movies coming out on blu this fall . :(

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Do we have any idea what the new collection coming out in October will have in it ?
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...lete-set-1934-1959/30228807?ean=0043396489301
It seems this release is coming out very quietly . There is no artwork anywhere to be found or details other then it looks to be 17 discs so probably minus the Treasures 3 disc set . I'm hoping for a slim downed package and the 2 shorts back in 3d . (but please no spindle) . This so should have been a blu-ray set just in time to go along with all the other classic movies coming out on blu this fall . :(
I really don't understand the reasoning behind just reissuing another DVD set, especially if it ends up not having the 3-D shorts, though it wouldn't surprise me, as Sony seems to be going for bare bones with this. Even Mill Creek did a 2 Volume Blu-ray reissue for their previously released 6 Movie DVD set, so why can't Sony follow suit with the 190 shorts?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
the box itself looks pretty darn old even if it's sealed . Did they really press more of these ultimate boxes after 2012 ? I thought they were not selling good and they went on clearance (most people had all ready bought them individually and the bonus set disc you can get the 2 Curly movies on bluray ) the 28 shorts are ok but there not three stooges shorts . The 14 from Shemp would be interesting to watch .

I had another box from 2014 that I sold , It did have the 3d and glasses .
I have a box set purchased in late 2012 that *does* have the 3D films and glasses. My stand-alone V7, purchased shortly after release, also has the 3D films and glasses. The outer label on the box set has no easy way to know if you have a 3D copy of V7 inside - unless they have it reflected in the total run time of the set. On the back of V7 you'll see at the end of the two 3D titles in smaller print, (in 3D + 2D). The non-3D versions omit that parenthetical information.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
so i'm a real lamebrain and I sold my old set because the outer cheap box was sent to me banged up ...I was tired of looking at the huge dent . So I bought a new one , I have not opened it but I would assume I have no 3-d in mine . I hope the new collection that comes out in Oct has those 3-d shorts and I could just sell this one when we find out what that set is all about .

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the world of The Three Stooges on DVD. I grew up watching them, but I never collected anything of their shorts on VHS or DVD.

I came across this thread after doing a search. Looks like the set mention by the first post is still available. And it looks like a nice set.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M

Ignoring the other set mentioned above, I was curious from you guys if this set in the Amazon link still the best one to get for all their shorts. Looks like it's a great set. Thanks for any insight.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Absolutely! The current ~$45 price is also about the best it's been in ~6 months or so, according to camelcamelcamel. Most of us paid far more than that purchasing the volumes as they were released. It *has* been sold for much less but I don't know that I'd gamble on it going much cheaper with that new set coming out.

While the jury's still out on the new set all indications are it does not contain the 3 disc "Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault" set. As to whether or not you "want" that one depends on just how big a fan you are of Shemp, IMHO the main attraction for that set. It contains 14 Shemp solo shorts (from 1938-1947) made before Curly's stroke and Shemp's subsequent joining the group as his replacement. They're very good.

Then there are the 2 3D shorts: Spooks! (1953) and Pardon my Backfire (1953) which may or may not be in a new copy of the Ultimate Collection (depends on just when the set purchased was made) or the new collection (IMHO it's doubtful they'll be on that set). They're not absolutely essential but *are* a interesting segment of the Stooges career as well as entertaining in 3D.

What's inside that box is all 8 volumes plus the "Rare Treasures" set all in individual shrink wrap - just as if you purchased them individually and plunked 'em in a big box.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Howie, Richard. Sounds like the right set then to pick up. :)

Regarding Hey Moe, Hey Dad, Antenna TV was airing the 9 parts this week. I was wondering why and they said they had been inducted into a Hall of Fame. It was a very good documentary. This was what peaked my interest in the collection.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks