The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Deeb, May 31, 2012.

1. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    It looks like those listings for the Rare Treasures discs are all from 3rd party sellers who likely separated them from the box set and are looking for a profit.

2. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

I'll sell my rare treasures for $20 shipped with gift paypal if you don't mind me watching it once before I mail it. It's currently unopened.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Wow Steve, you look eligible for the longest time member least number of posts club

4. Steve Satch

Hee hee. I'm old school with little to say : )

5. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Steve, is Rare Treasures the new set that was just released with the extra disc of shorts and features?
    I have a friend who loves Stooges and i might take you up on this if it is.

6. Steve Satch

It's the three disc bonus discs only available with the ultimate collection.

7. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Ok thats even better since he already has the rest of that set/
    Alright then, keep me in mind then as I'm interested for my buddy and I my Want to see this new stuff too.

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Just in case anyone was wondering I took him up on this and offered an extra $5 for the box and I received them from Mr. Satch today. I figured I'd save him from a barrage of PMs by letting everyone know.

9. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Wow ok, we'll good for you Bill. I posted immediately to the topic but I guess that wasn't the right way to say I was interested, oh well.

10. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I sent him a PM and was ready to pay immediately. Thems the breaks I guess.

11. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Hi Paul!

Just a F.Y.I: Being in Canada, this link currently takes me to the Canadian Amazon site, where the above is currently priced at $54.71 used! :P

For me, the above highlights just how fortunate I was to be able to purchase the entire 20 DVD Ultimate Collection for under $32 Canadian (Shipping & Taxes included!), in January of last year!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    There's one important detail that's worthy of note. Starting with the 2013 pressings, Volume 7 no longer contains the 3D versions of SPOOKS! and PARDON, MY BACKFIRE, but only the 2D versions!

I plan to keep my individual Volume 7 Set that I had previously purchased. Big thanks to Paul Mular for posting that update on his Amazon Review for THE THREE STOOGES: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1G31C6QWUZ87A/ref=cm_cr_rev_detup_redir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B006WN5W5M&cdForum=FxUIR0EOOKPYZA&cdPage=14&cdThread=Tx2WOA937ZPPVM0&newContentID=Mx1S8TDNSVXJT7O&store=movies-tv#Mx1S8TDNSVXJT7O

13. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    For those who want SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE in 3D anaglyph, THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION: VOL. 7: 1952-1954 DVD Set can still be had at a very nice price on U.S. Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Collection-Vol-1952-1954/dp/B002MJV786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441492948&sr=8-1&keywords=the+three+stooges+volume+7

Note: For Canadian isp connections, there may be redirection to Canadian Amazon, where the price isn't quite as nice, at the moment! :P

Update: From what I've read in Amazon comments for this volume, getting the pre 2013 pressings that include the 3D versions of the aforementioned titles may unfortunately be a hit or miss proposition!

14. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    As great as these Three Stooges Volumes look on DVD, I'm thinking of the possible fixes that could be incorporated into a Blu-ray Issue:

1. While all 190 shorts already have 1080p scans, the two 3D shorts, SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE (Both 1953) could really benefit from improved 3D anaglyph scans, and this could also be an ideal opportunity to restore the correct sepia tint to the former.

2. GOOF ON A ROOF (1953) could be issued in its originally 1952 filmed non matte 1.37:1 Academy Ratio. In addition, with the allowed added capacity that Blu-ray affords, Disc 2 of the Volume 7 set could easily accommodate both 2D/3D versions of the above aforementioned shorts, and both Academy & Widescreen versions of GOOF ON A ROOF without compromising BD Disc quality!

3. FLYING SAUCER DAFFY (1958) could incorporate both original Stereo (Assuming it is extant!) and Monophonic releases!

Honorable Mention: I would also prefer for the Sony Logo that follows the end of each short in most of the DVD volumes to be removed from a Blu-ray issue.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    Good luck getting that awful Sony logo off the end of anything. They plaster that junk on anything they distribute whether or not they had anything to do with the original release! I've developed a deft hand at hitting the "menu" button as soon as credits finish on any Sony product just to avoid that logo.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  16. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Sony also needs to ensure a potential BD release has SDH (English subtitles).

Great list, Tony.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  17. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Hi Howie!

It doesn't really bother me too much, as I usually play just 1 or 2 shorts at a time, though it would be nice to have the option of accessing the "Play All" feature without having to sit through the Sony Logo after every Three Stooges short!

The Little Rascals 7 DVD Volumes by RHI/Vivendi are actually worse for this, as the RHI Logo precedes AND follows EVERY short, which gets very annoying when accessing the included "Play All" option! Worse still, there is a bit of "End of short" audio overlap with the RHI/Vivendi Logo after a few of these! :P

Tony

18. Sa5150

Sa5150 Stunt Coordinator

steve
    Does the ultimate box volume 7 contain the 3D episodes that were removed for the single set ? I purchased mine in 2016 from amazon.

19. 79 of 100 Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    As the last 3D versions of Volume 7 were pressed late 2012 - early 2013, I'd say your set is highly unlikely to have it. Your best bet might be to seek out an advertised as 3-D Volume 7 on eBay, as I'm pretty sure Amazon Marketplace won't be that specific for used copies.

It would be great if Sony someday reinstates the 3-D shorts for a future Blu-ray release, this time in their proper polarized originals, rather than the prior rather inferior anaglyphs!

ahollis likes this.
  20. Sa5150

Sa5150 Stunt Coordinator

steve
    the box itself looks pretty darn old even if it's sealed . Did they really press more of these ultimate boxes after 2012 ? I thought they were not selling good and they went on clearance (most people had all ready bought them individually and the bonus set disc you can get the 2 Curly movies on bluray ) the 28 shorts are ok but there not three stooges shorts . The 14 from Shemp would be interesting to watch .

I had another box from 2014 that I sold , It did have the 3d and glasses .

Tony Bensley likes this.