What's new

Directors The Super Big "Cool" Tournament.....Fun Abounds Inside (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
George, so you kind of indirectly dumped on Henry, you dumped on the Oscars and their recipients a bit, you dumped on the Grammys, and your sig dumps on the NCAA (OK, I have to give you that one) as well as "multidimensional characters" and "great character development." Is there anything else? ;)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
"Cooler than" Criteria (Van Halen edition):
1 pts - That Waldo geek from the "Hot for teacher" video
2 pts - Ripped spandex pants
3 pts - Gary Cherone
4 pts - Baby angels smoking cigarettes
5 pts - Substituting an electic piano solo for a guitar solo
6 pts - Michael Anthony
7 pts - Alex Van Halen
8 pts - Sammy Hagar
9 pts - David Lee Roth
10 pts - Eddie Van Halen

ROUND 1 - Part II

Those "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" ads: While I'm sure it is possible for something to be so completely uncool that it wraps itself around the meter and can actually be considered cool, this ain't it. This is less cool than Gary Cherone. 2 pts.

vs

Pop Rocks: I've never eaten these things out of fear that I, much like poor Mikey from the Life cereal commercial, would die in sugar frenzied head explosion. That's a pretty cool reputation for some candy. Cooler than Michael Anthony, easily. 7 pts

Advantage: Pop Rocks

Lightsabers: When I was five years old, these things were so freakin' cool. I wanted one real bad. Through the years, my attitude has mellowed towards the lightsaber, reaching its nadir when I realized a chubby kid with a microphone stand could achieve pretty much the same level of lethality. Working the average, it feels pretty much like listening to an (admittedly cool) electric piano solo, while yearning for the guitar solo of my youth. 5 pts.

vs

Winning An Academy Award: One person wins, while four people get publicly humiliated. Oh sure, it's an honor to just be nominated. Yup. That sort of dog-eat-dog competiveness in a high publicity pop culture forum is pretty cool, even if they give them all to a bunch of renaissance fair rejects from New Zealand. :D 7 pts.

Advantage: Winning an Academy Award

Brad

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Oh great.

That's just the opportunity Mr. Kaplan needs to dump on Lawrence of Arabia!

Thanks Rice!

:wink:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

But you'll get to meet me soon enough. Isn't that something? I'm a hell of a lot sexier than Kissinger. :D

My votes:

pop rocks

lightsabers

Winning a Academy Award isn't necessarily an indicator of quality, but I suppose it would get me laid. But you can't fight evil with a Academy Award...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit confused as to how that post had anything to do with Henry. He agreed with me about the Oscars, and he didn't find the ads funny that I did, but that's not "dumping" on him.

As far as dumping on the Oscars, well yeah. I can name a lot of worthy oscars, but I think I can name a lot more that weren't. And I didn't even begin to dump on the Grammy's. My derision for them goes back to 1964 when I Want to Hold Your Hand lost to The Girl From Ipanema and A Hard Day's Night lost to Petula Clark's Downtown.

Other pathetic grammys:

Herb Alpert's A Taste of Honey over the Beatle's Yesterday

It was a Very Good Year over Yesterday

We Dig Mancini over Help!

King of the Road over Yesterday

Strangers in the Night over Eleanor Rigby

Winchester Cathedral over Eleanor Rigby & Good Vibrations

Up, Up and Away over Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

By the Time I get to Phoenix over Magical Mystery Tour

Little Green Apples over Hey Jude

Close to You over Let it Be

Jonathan Livingston Seagull over Live & Let Die

Toto IV over McCartney's Tug of War

and fastforwarding to 2004, Justin Timberlake twice over George Harrison, proving that they remain a fricking joke.

John C. Wilson

Supporting Actor
Those "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" ads - neither is particularly cool, but in my circle growing up, Pop Rocks were decidedly uncool

Lightsabers

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Pop Rocks vs. the Ads - I'm going with the neither is cool option

I could definitely get more use out of a Lightsaber.
The Oscars aren't much of a barometer of quality and the Grammys even less so. While I don't share George's fixation on the Mop-tops I do agree with his rant in spirit.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Those "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" ads
Winning An Academy Award

EDIT: When I decided to enter the "Winning An Academy Award" entry in this tournament I should have added "and deserving it too" which would make it a rare occasion. :D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

And Roger Ebert gave Mystic River his highest rating, four stars.

The point being that you are obviously wrong in your opinion of Mystic River!

:p)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My profoundest apologies to you, the honorable Mr. Tomlin.

My opinion of Mystic River has tempered a bit in the last few days. It was a great movie for nearly 2 hours, so there is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks