What's new

International The Secret of Roan Inish - A Rare Celtic Gem needs an upgrade to Blue Ray!! (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This little sleeper was a cable find years ago, and when it finally came on to dvd I bought it. An independent film from the UK and came out in 1994. I think I saw it on HBO or maybe even TCM, and to my mind is wonderful family fare. I was instantly hooked, over the years as so many films are being upgraded I wondered if someday this might get a little HD love and get a release on BD. In 2020, the UCLA Film and Television Archive made a digitally restored print of the film. So the way should be clear for a Bluray Release...Owned by MGM, but after all the smoke clears, most studios are not looking to the pasat but more in a forward frame of mind, with exceptions of course.
I wonder if anyone has heard anything in reguards to this title?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You forgot to mention that it was adapted for the screen and directed by the great John Sayles!

We need more Sayles films on Blu-ray, period!. Of the 18 films he's directed, only four have been released on BD (as opposed to the 10 of 14 films -- generally B-movies -- he's written, but not directed).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You forgot to mention that it was adapted for the screen and directed by the great John Sayles!

We need more Sayles films on Blu-ray, period!. Of the 18 films he's directed, only four have been released on BD (as opposed to the 10 of 14 films -- generally B-movies -- he's written, but not directed.
Thanks Jerry, your so right!! Passion Fish, City of Hope, Limbo!! So does MGM fall under WB or Paramount?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Thanks Jerry, your so right!! Passion Fish, City of Hope, Limbo!! So does MGM fall under WB or Paramount?

Neither. Well, actual MGM-produced films prior to mid-1986 are with Warner. After that, they are still with MGM, which has recently been bought by Amazon.

While some of Sayles's earliest films were released on DVD by MGM, I don't think they actually own the rights to them. As far as I know, the only one of his films that Paramount would have control of would be Baby It's You (released on Blu-ray by Olive). I believe Sony controls most of his later films, if Sayles doesn't control them himself.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
By the way, this has prompted me to see about acquiring the films of his that are on DVD only. I've kept hoping that more would get released on BD at some point, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
By the way, this has prompted me to see about acquiring the films of his that are on DVD only. I've kept hoping that more would get released on BD at some point, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
well someone at some time at MGM ordered the restoration in 2020 via the UCLA film archive, so it seems there was intent at some point to hd this title, Am I wrong it this assumption? It wouldn't be the first time, LOL!!! When is says a "digitally restored print of the film", I figure it's not long before a BD in on the horizon. Now, I understand that this is during the pandemic and the brakes could have been set on the project...I'll keep searching and see if I can find any updates.

Attachments

• p15672_p_v8_aa.jpg
    p15672_p_v8_aa.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 41

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I concur with the OP about INISH. Lovely film, mediocre DVD. SILVER CITY would also be welcomed...and BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET, etc.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
John Sayles' charming film adaptation of a 50s novel by Rosalie K. Fry about an out of the way isle where the mythical Selkies are said to wander. Haskell Wexler's cinematography is lovely as is Mason Daring's music.

The film received glowing reviews but never quite got the audience it deserves. It's a bit of a departure for Sayles, best known for dramas like LONE STAR, MATEWAN and EIGHT MEN OUT, but his writing and direction handle the material with a sure hand and a delicate lyrical touch.

THE SECRET OF ROAN INISH is available to stream on Starz, Hoopla and Kanopy and for a low cost rental elsewhere. It's on DVD. But, YES!!! It needs to be on Blu Ray! Secret1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks