What's new

The screen placement upon the wall, sound, and the color of the wall. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
John

[COLOR= black]Assume we have a nice 10 feet wide screen with some black felt material around the edges -- the screen is framed. The first question I had is in regards to Aspect Ratio in a different post.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]2. What color is your wall behind your screen, or does this really matter?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]3. Is it best to "float" the screen out a couple of inches from the wall?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]4. Can the frame be decorative (dark walnut to match the blinds) or should it be black.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]5. I see more opinions that lean towards sound degradation when projected through the screen. Is that true or is this group just more vocal? The sellers of the material assure you of no degradation?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]6. If you are in the camp of sound through the speaker, is the speaker placed in dead center or center top?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]6b. If you are in the camp of no sound through the speaker, is the speaker placed center top (over the screen) or center bottom (below the screen) tilted upwards?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]7. In an 18 by 36 room, how far did you go to remove the reverberation properties?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]John[/COLOR]

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
2. My walls are all a deep blue. My screen will not allow any light to pass through it.

3. That is up to you. My screen is about 2" from the wall because my framework and hanging stuff put it about 2" from the wall.

4. Yes. I also used door casing to build my frame and painted it flat black. Any dark color should work as long as it has a matte finish.

5. It is true. The screen blocks the sound especially the higher frequencies. There can be minimal degradation but "no degradation" is totally false.

6. Center horizontally and in-line with the right and left. Tweeters should be ear level.

6b. My center is a couple of inches below the screen with a slight tilt upward.

7. Carpet, drapes and plush furniture. I may put some DIY sound panels on the bare wall. There is very little echo in the room.

Real Name
John
Thanks Robert. A follow up question to 6B. Since you put your center below with a tilt up, are your left/right tweaters also down low with a tilt up or are they at the top?

6. Center horizontally and in-line with the right and left. Tweeters should be ear level.

6b. My center is a couple of inches below the screen with a slight tilt upward.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My left and right speakers are on stands placing the tweeter a few inches above my ears when sitting on the couch (1st row). The center channel is about 8" below the L & R speakers if you drew a horizontal lines through the tweeters.

In this picture you can see the speaker and the bottom of the screen. It's not that high above the bottom of the screen.

This is an older picture before I tilted the center channel up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks