What's new

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1 Viewer)

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
This is my favorite film. I believe that I had read somewhere that it is on Scorsese's top ten list. I don't think this film gets the credit it deserves. It is one of Eastwoods best films. Just wondering what the consensus is about it around here.

Joe_RM

Grip
I really like this movie also and have the DVD, his spittin' just cracks me up everytime.

The poster itself is in my top 10 favorite posters of all time.

Joe

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Great film with some great lines.

Bounty hunter: You're wanted Wales.
Wales: I reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?
Bounty hunter: Man's got to do something for a livin' these days.
Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy.

:)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hands down, my favorite Western.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"...

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
"Endeavor to persevere!"

A friend rented a vintage old wagon to the movie company for the film. Unfortunately, he didn't get it back. It went up in flames during the massacre of the surrendering rebels by the Red Legs.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I wouldn't say his greatest western since I would reserve that designation for "Unforgiven." I loved the film though. Is it just me or did the movie kinda go downhill when Sondra Locke came into view? Anyway, good movie.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Many consider Wales to be Clint's best. Your assessment is not unusual.

BTW, it's my favorite western too. Good DVD. Clint commented on the extras that people still mail him tins of chewing tobacco. :laugh:

Other great parts: "You might as well come along too....everyone else is..."

and the chaw landing bullseye right on the dog's head.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
GBU is my fav western but OJW is up there also. I need to see it again and Pale Rider also. Own all of em. I do need to pick up Unforgiven.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This film was very good right up to the point where Josey Wales joins up with the settlers. The movie is badly dragged down by everything that occurs after that point. The film becomes a caricature of life in a commune. The only thing missing is a bunch of flower power hippies and a big bag of ganja.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's extremely difficult to declare any film to be "the best", not only in general, but even so in a genre as divers and interesting as the Westerns.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my favourites indeed, but to be honest, there at least fifty of those (Westerns that are favourites of mine, I mean). And yes, Clint Eastwood is in many of 'em.
Of course Chief Dan George also earns serious points for any movie he's in.
John Vernon is one of my favourite crooks, although rather seldom seen in a Western (in the first film of another Clint Eastwood series though, Dirty Harry, he's that Mayor, if I remember well).

I have to disagree about the ending: it doesn't spoil the movie for me at all.

I tend to envy people who can easily say which is their most favourite, best ranked movie. Even if I would try to rank my "best movies", it would certainly change over time, depending on the mood I'm in, how long ago it was I watched a movie for the last time, etc.

Cees

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Cees, I think a lot of people have the exact same tendency, including myself - with so many films its hard to pin down just one of any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks