What's new

The One Downside once full series have been released. (1 Viewer)

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
I'm happy when series are released in full. Kojak. Mannix. Dragnet. The one thing that bothers me is when the series could have been cleaned up a bit more or extras could have been included. I hate that studios don't go all out with releases. Who knows if there will ever be a chance to improve on the current DVDs? Dragnet could look better. It's not bad but compared to some DVDs it's lacking. Room 222, I don't think I need to say more. Miami Vice, definitely should look better. As for extras, 7 seasons of Adam-12 & no interviews with the still living principals? Just seems like opportunities missed.

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
I definitely become frustrated when I see how good Mannix looks. Or how thorough a job Time Life did with the Six Million Dollar Man. Shame other series couldn't receive a bit more care.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I generally don't bemoan the lack of extras for a favorite title. Some titles definitely could look better. "Emergency" in fact could use total redos for Seasons 3-4-5 because they are really in bad shape quality wise (if not for the fire we wouldn't have gotten a remastered final season!). I also wish "Columbo" had included the Mystery Movie opening and CBS/Paramount IMO should redo "The Odd Couple" just as they redid "The Fugitive" and restore it completely with no music edits and no tampering of dialogue/comedy spots just because a song is involved. But that said, lack of extras never really bothers me. I'm just glad I can enjoy most of what I like to watch when I want to and am free forever from the artificial constraints of a TV schedule.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My problem is when cut episodes slip in (countless Sony shows, one Golden Girls episode) and picture quality is suspect overall (All in the Family's first five seasons). The lack of extras is a lost opportunity on every show, but sometimes there just aren't that many interesting stories to tell about a show's production, or cast members just don't want to participate. That is, if they get asked in the first place.

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
The video quality is definitely my big concern. I'm fairly new to buying classic shows on DVD so I'm not sure how often they're redone. Dragnet look decent but later seasons are lacking. I want Emergency! but have heard about the lackluster video quality. I'm blown away when I look at the early seasons of Streets of San Francisco! It's gorgeous! (I only have the first 2 seasons do far.) I Just seems like some shows weren't given much attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks