What's new

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread (1 Viewer)

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
I'm pretty flexible and I imagine I'll spread it out a little over time. Maybe front 3 first with a receiver with pre-outs. Then a first sub. Surrounds. Amp(s). Processor. Projector. But I'm happy to buy in bigger bunches if I decide what I want and find a good deal. So the budget is for either the front 3 or maybe 5. I'd obviously love to find the best bang for the buck I can but I'm not sure what that sweet spot is these days where you get the most for your money and spending more costs a lot more for minimal improvement.

thanks!
If you want to start with a good front stage - left, right, center or LCR - you should probably consider towers. With the size of your room they probably shouldn't be too large though as you'll need to fit a TV and subwoofer as well. Given that, a couple of potential options would be...

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
thank you, i'll do.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 20% Music, 80% Movies and Games

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 19 square meters

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No

What's your budget (low to high): 600$

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope
If I understand correctly you need speakers, a subwoofer and receiver? You list your room size as 19 square meters, I assume you aren't in the US?

Pnochichi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
If you want to start with a good front stage - left, right, center or LCR - you should probably consider towers. With the size of your room they probably shouldn't be too large though as you'll need to fit a TV and subwoofer as well. Given that, a couple of potential options would be...

Thanks. I'll take a look at these for sure. Im curious why towers. I used to think that bookshelf or minitowers like the monoprice ones and good sub were good for movies but towers are better if you are going to music/stereo as well. Has the thinking on that evolved over the years?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm pretty flexible and I imagine I'll spread it out a little over time. Maybe front 3 first with a receiver with pre-outs. Then a first sub. Surrounds. Amp(s). Processor. Projector. But I'm happy to buy in bigger bunches if I decide what I want and find a good deal. So the budget is for either the front 3 or maybe 5. I'd obviously love to find the best bang for the buck I can but I'm not sure what that sweet spot is these days where you get the most for your money and spending more costs a lot more for minimal improvement.

thanks!

My current room dimensions are very similar to his 13x18 as well, and yeah, I ended up having to slim down my L/R speaker choice to allow the use of 120" screen for PJ. I'd guess most of those choices you listed might work in my situation, except the Monoprice speakers which are probably a bit too wide at 13" width to still allow some breathing room away from walls, etc, especially if not a dedicated HT room -- I went w/ less expensive ELAC UniFi 2.0 towers (and center) and place them as far away from the walls as feasible (while still maintaining just enough separation between them for my 120" screen).

IF the idea is to go FP, definitely should consider exactly how big he wants to be able to go and how well he can still fit the speakers he chooses while getting optimal results from them, ie. probably don't want those front L/R speakers too close to the walls (and whatever else, eg. furniture, in that livingroom? space)...

Also, if we're talking "best bang for the buck", definitely don't overlook the ELACs -- that's certainly largely why I went w/ them after owning and downsizing/downgrading from higher end (albeit ancient-ish) speakers (and accompanying amps). Might be better off saving the $$$ to spend on other parts of the HT... and there are certainly plenty areas to spread the $$$ me thinks...

I'll take a look at these for sure. Im curious why towers. I used to think that bookshelf or minitowers like the monoprice ones and good sub were good for movies but towers are better if you are going to music/stereo as well. Has the thinking on that evolved over the years?

It all depends. Inexpensive towers at such price levels actually used to be shunned by audiophiles (for faithful stereo music reproduction) -- might still be to some extent. Materials, craftsmanship and build quality used to be generally considered not good enough at such levels, but that's apparently changed over the last decade or two.

Back then (before Y2K or so), if you can't afford at least $2K-plus (which is probably more like spending $6K-plus or more today) for a pair of towers, you'd generally settle for "bookshelf or minitowers" w/ good (rock solid) stands that suit your music tastes best (and probably sacrifice the bass or maybe something else to some extent), if you're an audiophile...

For instance, I settled on a used pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's back then in my case... that I used for a bit over 20 years -- they're big for what one might call "minitowers", but they're not actually floorstanding towers and require good, sturdy (usually sand/lead filled), dedicated stands for best results.

_Man_

Last edited:

Pnochichi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Yeah. I've heard a lot of folks talk about low and even mid-level towers as just bookshelves with built in stands, so you're better off spending the same money on better bookshelves to get higher quality since you don't really need what the towers are getting you. Especially, if you are using the same size drivers and handing all the bass off to subs. So a bookshelf that can play well down to your crossover point could be had at a higher quality for the same money as a tower, and you don't really miss out on anything since you're not even sending them the low end.

To your point that was probably 20 years ago, so I really need to get more up to date with where things are now. ;)

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Thanks. I'll take a look at these for sure. Im curious why towers. I used to think that bookshelf or minitowers like the monoprice ones and good sub were good for movies but towers are better if you are going to music/stereo as well. Has the thinking on that evolved over the years?
I'm not sure the thinking has really changed. Back in the day - before sophisticated electronics and fancy DSP's - large speakers and subwoofers were necessary. Reason being you had to rely on the acoustical properties to get the desired results, not electronic aids. With the advent of the latter manufacturers were able to shrink things down and compensate with digital wizardry, but at some point physics rears its ugly head and then you run into immutable laws. Cabinet volume does have distinct benefits; listen to a bookshelf speaker with a 1" tweeter and 6.5" midrange and then a tower with the same driver compliment and you will hear a difference (all things being equal with regards to material quality and crossover engineering). You have a healthy budget and as such the results you achieve should be pronounced. There are some phenomenal bookshelf speakers available, but if you want the sound to be big the speakers need to be as well. Same goes for subwoofers, while there are some smallish powerhouse models to be had you'll need large cabinets and drivers for the best results.

Pnochichi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I'm not sure the thinking has really changed. Back in the day - before sophisticated electronics and fancy DSP's - large speakers and subwoofers were necessary. Reason being you had to rely on the acoustical properties to get the desired results, not electronic aids. With the advent of the latter manufacturers were able to shrink things down and compensate with digital wizardry, but at some point physics rears its ugly head and then you run into immutable laws. Cabinet volume does have distinct benefits; listen to a bookshelf speaker with a 1" tweeter and 6.5" midrange and then a tower with the same driver compliment and you will hear a difference (all things being equal with regards to material quality and crossover engineering). You have a healthy budget and as such the results you achieve should be pronounced. There are some phenomenal bookshelf speakers available, but if you want the sound to be big the speakers need to be as well. Same goes for subwoofers, while there are some smallish powerhouse models to be had you'll need large cabinets and drivers for the best results.
Perfect. Thanks. I guess I was thinking like for like dollars and thinking that at the same price a set of bookshelves would be better quality than a set of towers and that quality difference might be worth it for film where I'm sending the low end to a pair of quality subs. I feel like I'm learning it all over again from what I built 20 years ago. Thanks for the input and education.

Koschei

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I am looking to upgrade my current system. I am NOT an audiophile or home theater expert; I'm just looking for good visual and audio quality from reliable and reasonably priced equipment. I've been using my current setup for ten years and likely would not have upgraded if my old blu player hadn't died two months ago.

Currently, the system is set up diagonally in the corner of the room. Center channel speaker is dead center, just below the TV screen and player. Subwoofer is several feet away, placed based on suggestions with the original equipment documentation. Surround speakers are at roughly 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock relative to main seating (with the TV and center channel speaker being 12 on the clock face). As of right now, I don't really have the ability to place speakers behind the main seating (which faces the center of the screen). That may change, but won't in the immediate future.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers

Primary Use: 80% movies/TV, 20% music

Desired Configuration: 7.1 (but 5.1 is acceptable)

Room Size: 20x13

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes (see below)

What's your budget (low to high): $500-$1000

Equipment
My disc player is the Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player
My current receiver and speaker system is the Yamaha YHT-393BL 5.1 Channel Home Theater in a Box System. I have been very happy with the sound quality from the speakers and subwoofer included.
My new receiver is the Sony STR-DH790 7.2ch Home Theater AV Receiver.
My new TV (to be purchased in the next few weeks) will be the LG C1 65 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV.

My specific questions/requests for advice:
I do not have front channel speakers (other than center). Do I need to purchase a specific sort of speaker for the two front speakers?
Should I replace the Yahama surround speakers, even though I'm happy with them?
Should I get Atmos speakers for the surround channels, since both the receiver and player are atmos-capable?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am looking to upgrade my current system. I am NOT an audiophile or home theater expert; I'm just looking for good visual and audio quality from reliable and reasonably priced equipment. I've been using my current setup for ten years and likely would not have upgraded if my old blu player hadn't died two months ago.

Currently, the system is set up diagonally in the corner of the room. Center channel speaker is dead center, just below the TV screen and player. Subwoofer is several feet away, placed based on suggestions with the original equipment documentation. Surround speakers are at roughly 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock relative to main seating (with the TV and center channel speaker being 12 on the clock face). As of right now, I don't really have the ability to place speakers behind the main seating (which faces the center of the screen). That may change, but won't in the immediate future.

Primary Use: 80% movies/TV, 20% music

Desired Configuration: 7.1 (but 5.1 is acceptable)

Room Size: 20x13

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes (see below)

What's your budget (low to high): $500-$1000

Equipment
My disc player is the Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player
My current receiver and speaker system is the Yamaha YHT-393BL 5.1 Channel Home Theater in a Box System. I have been very happy with the sound quality from the speakers and subwoofer included.
My new receiver is the Sony STR-DH790 7.2ch Home Theater AV Receiver.
My new TV (to be purchased in the next few weeks) will be the LG C1 65 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV.

My specific questions/requests for advice:
I do not have front channel speakers (other than center). Do I need to purchase a specific sort of speaker for the two front speakers?
Should I replace the Yahama surround speakers, even though I'm happy with them?
Should I get Atmos speakers for the surround channels, since both the receiver and player are atmos-capable?

IF you've really been happy w/ the old speakers, then I'd probably suggest replacing the subwoofer first and then maybe adding an affordable pair of height speakers for Atmos if you want. And then beyond that, you might consider replacing the front 3 all at once if you can stretch the budget some (or just do that later in the future if desired).

Maybe something like an https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000 currently for just $600.

Not sure what would work well for Atmos speakers in your case, but you can probably find a pair for $250-300. Something like these ceiling bounce ones https://www.elac.com/dolby-atmos-add-on-speakers/debut-2-a42/ might do although they're too big to sit on top of your existing Yamaha satellite speakers.

IF you can stretch your budget, especially if you're not sure about adding Atmos speakers, maybe get these for the front 3 LCR channels (currently on promo sale... though these sale pricing seem frequently recurring for ELAC, and there's probably no sales tax or shipping charge if bought direct from them):

https://www.elac.com/bookshelf-speakers/debut-2-b6-2/ for ~$340 (for the pair)

https://www.elac.com/center-channel-speakers/debut-2-c52/ for ~$215

And if you do hold off on going Atmos, but upgrade the front 3 speakers, you could probably reuse a pair of the Yamaha satellites for additional (rear) surrounds and see if you like that...

_Man_

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Hello - planning to upgrade my current 5.1 system and would value feedback as I’m not an audiophile, just someone who wants a good pic and sound for my sports and movies. Thanks
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Room Size: 20x20

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes but will upgrade everything

What's your budget (low to high): $10-15k.

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? If spending more than indicated she might get upset so would like to stay in that range.

Currently have approximately 10yr old Def Tec Seven…I think…with 2 rear and their super cube sub. Unfortunately, getting old so hearing isn’t great, so the center will be important and I’d like to feel the base when watching movies or listening to music. I’ve always liked the look of having my speakers mounted on the wall if that still makes sense.
Thanks so much

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Center speaker for starters.

Primary Use: 90% TV & Movies 10% gaming

Desired Configuration: 5.1.4. End goal is 7.1.4

Room Size: 4 meter long. 3.6 meter wide. 2.7 meter high

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes rxv 2085

What's your budget (low to high): up to 1300 dollars nzd for center speaker.

Any special requirements? I live in New Zealand and therefore choices are limited.

I currently have polk audio csia6 center. Polk rtia7 towers. Rtia1 bookshelves side surrounds. Svs pb 1000 pro. 2 Definitive technology di5.5r in ceiling speakers for atmos.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Typically you want to keep your front stage matched and it appears as though you've done that. What don't you like about the CSiA6?

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Sorry for late response. I'm just not sure how to answer as when it comes to describing speakers and how they sound I'm just unsure. They sound good.
I was looking at the svs prime center and I could import ARENDAL 1961.Im thinking to match the rest of the brand depending what speaker I choose. The budget I chose is what I'm willing to pay and I will be saving up and likely get one at a time. To complete the set
I will be reusing the svs pb 1000 pro as the existing subwoofer and will eventually change everything else.
One thing I don't like is the harshness I've experienced at cinemas and not sure the cause of it? Could it be horn based speakers that causes it? I did some research Into them and even imax uses horns aswell.
Also the room dimensions I mentioned previously are for a future home theater that will be built this year. At least the framing of it will be and then over time I will complete it.

Many thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry for late response. I'm just not sure how to answer as when it comes to describing speakers and how they sound I'm just unsure. They sound good.
I was looking at the svs prime center and I could import ARENDAL 1961.Im thinking to match the rest of the brand depending what speaker I choose. The budget I chose is what I'm willing to pay and I will be saving up and likely get one at a time. To complete the set
I will be reusing the svs pb 1000 pro as the existing subwoofer and will eventually change everything else.
One thing I don't like is the harshness I've experienced at cinemas and not sure the cause of it? Could it be horn based speakers that causes it? I did some research Into them and even imax uses horns aswell.
Also the room dimensions I mentioned previously are for a future home theater that will be built this year. At least the framing of it will be and then over time I will complete it.

Many thanks
What Jim is saying is that you ideally want the front three speakers to be from the same line of the same brand. It's not ideal to mix and match those.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
One thing I don't like is the harshness I've experienced at cinemas and not sure the cause of it?

This is the only thing I see in your reply that gives an indication of what you're trying to avoid. Does that mean the Polk is harsh to your ears? The CSiA6 has a silk dome tweeter so it shouldn't be. Did you run YPAO and let it tune the system? I'm just wondering if maybe it's an adjustment and perhaps you don't need to spend any money.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
I did try ypao once but I ended up preferring my manual speaker distances, levels.
I'm not saying the speaker itself is harsh but that's what I don't want in a new one.
It's really hard for me to describe my speaker as I don't really know what the differences are when choosing them. I did buy this one based of reviews.

This will be a long term upgrade so it's not in the short term. I can't tell one speaker or another apart when looking at specs online. I know that I don't want to go under 5.25 inch drivers as I'm concerned the smaller size you go the worse it sounds. And yes I've had tiny bose cubes in the past.

Thanks.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
This will be a long term upgrade so it's not in the short term. I can't tell one speaker or another apart when looking at specs online. I know that I don't want to go under 5.25 inch drivers as I'm concerned the smaller size you go the worse it sounds. And yes I've had tiny bose cubes in the past.

Specs provide objective information, which is very helpful, but you always have to factor in subjective information. Basically, what your ears hear. It's like buying a car; the data tells you how fast it can get to 60mph but it doesn't tell you what the experience is like. Was it a turbo charged 4 cylinder or a normally aspirated v8? Both might reach 60mph in roughly the same amount of time but guaranteed it will be in a different manner.

Superdad-2265

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
If you'd like a speaker or subwoofer recommendation for your home theater, listening area or living room, this is the thread to post in. We are going to have our reviewers, members and experts from sponsors like SVS standing by to offer helpful advice and assist however they can.

Whether you are looking for guidance on what to buy, how to set it up, or how to get the most out of what you already have, HomeTheaterForum experts will be standing by to assist you.

Please copy and paste the following format for your reply, to make assisting you as easy as possible. Note the below is just an example with answers:

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies

Room Size: 18x12

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): $1500-2000

Hi my name's Eddie, I recently agreed to purchase a mint condition pair of JBL Northridge e80 towers and wanted to no if yu know what the best upgrade there is for the tweeters , because apparently the factory ones are very sensitive, so I'd like to replace with best ones, helpful suggestions would be so appreciated

Nathank9000

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
Hello, everyone. I'm looking for advice on a home theater speaker system, preferably wireless, preferably with speaker stands. Also need a receiver, but that could be its own thread.

It's mostly for watching movies. Volume/power is not critically important - we're in an attached townhouse, with neighbors on both sides, I don't want to annoy them.

It's the living room, approx. 16x16, in the shape of a rectangle with 1 corner cut off at a 45-degree angle. So an unequal pentagon, with 3 square corners. The couch (listening position) is on the angled side.

My biggest challenge is how to get wires to the rear satellites. Anyway you look at it, wiring will cross doorways and walk pathways. So either a wireless system or some sort of less-obvious flat cable raceway.

Budget-wise, I'm willing to spend up to $ 1,200.

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 7.2 or higher (the more satellites, the better).

Room Size: 16x16

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No

What's your budget (low to high): $ 500 - 1200

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Wireless

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hey and welcome to HTF. Re Wireless: don’t do it.

Other than that because of your modest budget I recommend you check out SVS, Monoprice and maybe Pioneer Andrew Jones if any are still around. Costco may have a decent Klipsh home theater package too. Don’t be fooled by wireless HTIB kits. Most are proprietary junk.

If you absolutely must go wireless you might need to pony up for Sonos.

Got any other input @JohnRice or @ManW_TheUncool ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks