What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
in looking at the article, I could not help but notice the T-shirt that Mike Matessino and Daren Dochterman are wearing. I clearly remember the days before the film came out and that Star Trek The Motion Picture title was printed in that font and in that stacked configuration! That’s really cool as I assume they had those shirts made.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am curious about something. Obviously, a regular CD is two channel stereo. The film itself is multi-channel - would there ever be a possibility of a SACD (or similar) of the multi-channel mix of the score, without sound effects, etc? I am just wondering how the mixing is decided on for the two mediums. I am assuming that the music has been remixed for the new blu-ray editions from the master tapes, or is that incorrect?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Here's something different for everyone to enjoy. When preparing the new Star Trek II album for La-La Land Records, we did all of our work in 96/24 hi-res. For disc 2 we re-built the OST from our new analog-to-digital transfers. However, in the process of listening to the album and knowing the history of this title, it was decided not to use that for the OST presentation, instead relying on the original digital-to-analog transfers made back in 1982.

In the meantime, as part of my research for the album, I noticed the digital streaming copy of the original Star Trek II album wasn't accurate, using the FSM master instead of the original album master. This meant some takes were not quite correct. So I had an idea. What if our unreleased recreation of the original album in hi-res 96/24 was made available? This would get the music out in genuine hi-res and it would be better than the digital streaming copy currently available.

So friends, here it is, the original Star Trek II soundtrack album from 1982, remixed and mastered in 96/24 hi-res. I hope you enjoy it.

Neil

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I am curious about something. Obviously, a regular CD is two channel stereo. The film itself is multi-channel - would there ever be a possibility of a SACD (or similar) of the multi-channel mix of the score, without sound effects, etc? I am just wondering how the mixing is decided on for the two mediums. I am assuming that the music has been remixed for the new blu-ray editions from the master tapes, or is that incorrect?

Bruce Botnick did a new remix of the score for Atmos just recently. However I don't think that's ever going to be released on its own as a physical.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Here's something different for everyone to enjoy. When preparing the new Star Trek II album for La-La Land Records, we did all of our work in 96/24 hi-res. For disc 2 we re-built the OST from our new analog-to-digital transfers. However, in the process of listening to the album and knowing the history of this title, it was decided not to use that for the OST presentation, instead relying on the original digital-to-analog transfers made back in 1982.

In the meantime, as part of my research for the album, I noticed the digital streaming copy of the original Star Trek II album wasn't accurate, using the FSM master instead of the original album master. This meant some takes were not quite correct. So I had an idea. What if our unreleased recreation of the original album in hi-res 96/24 was made available? This would get the music out in genuine hi-res and it would be better than the digital streaming copy currently available.

So friends, here it is, the original Star Trek II soundtrack album from 1982, remixed and mastered in 96/24 hi-res. I hope you enjoy it.

Neil

In terms of setup to play these files what is the best way? I have a traditional Denon receiver with 5.1 setup.
I’m curious to hear this.

I believe there at least 2 of the 007 soundtracks in this format as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for this info Neil. ( I checked the spelling )

So this high resolution release of Star Trek II is of the original sound track album, but not the complete score. This is interesting because I’ve been hoping for a high resolution version of the complete Star Trek The Motion Picture score. I guess there are contracts and agreements for music releases in specific formats.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
It is also on Amazon, it is marked Ultra HD

STII.JPG

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m finally listening to the Star Trek The Motion Picture 2 CD sound track. My Mac Pro had a GPU driver conflict and was in kernel panic, so it would not start. It took a few days to figure it out. So I was able to finally rip the 2 CDs into iTunes.

I’m working now in my home office so I’m listening to it via a pair of Apple HomePods. So I’m not listening to it on my hi-fi. But I’m only into it up to Spock‘s arrival and I can hear a difference. Mostly what stuck out was the overture. It sounds like a different version. Maybe I’m not used to hearing the longer version.

Thanks Neil and La La Land. I was really curious what Bruce Botnick did here verses the 2012 version so I’m listening for it. Hard to believe it’s been 10 years since the 3 CD set.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m finally listening to the Star Trek The Motion Picture 2 CD sound track. My Mac Pro had a GPU driver conflict and was in kernel panic, so it would not start. It took a few days to figure it out. So I was able to finally rip the 2 CDs into iTunes.

I’m working now in my home office so I’m listening to it via a pair of Apple HomePods. So I’m not listening to it on my hi-fi. But I’m only into it up to Spock‘s arrival and I can hear a difference. Mostly what stuck out was the overture. It sounds like a different version. Maybe I’m not used to hearing the longer version.

Thanks Neil and La La Land. I was really curious what Bruce Botnick did here verses the 2012 version so I’m listening for it. Hard to believe it’s been 10 years since the 3 CD set.

I’m listening to it quite a bit too. The French horn really stands out on this version of disc 1 on the overture.

Love it!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Mostly what stuck out was the overture. It sounds like a different version. Maybe I’m not used to hearing the longer version.
From the press release: The program now begins with the long version of the “Overture,” reflective of “The Director’s Edition,” with the short version heard in 1979 now kicking off a section of “Alternates”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks