What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (3 Viewers)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
My 15 year old cat, Mabel, crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning. I adopted her from a cat rescue back in 2009. When I took her in for the annual exam and blood panel back in April, it was discovered that she had Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). I tried to get her on prescription food but she wasn't having it. In just over six months since discovering the CKD, she became cachectic to the point where she couldn't walk and couldn't use the litter box any longer. There was nothing else I could do to help her so I took her to the vet today for a compassionate end to her beautiful life.

One year prior, in April 2022, her blood work was perfect. Shortly after that, she had tooth resorption and had to have 13 teeth extracted. There is no way to know for certain, but I do think her getting anesthesia for that procedure is what hastened the CKD.

I'm devastated. Like many, I don't deal well with change when I perceive it to be for the worse, so this is extremely difficult on me. She was a sweet and gentle cat and it's like I'm living in a nightmare from which I won't awake. I have two other cats to keep my company, however, this is still a huge loss for me.

She was only seven pounds at her peak. I loved holding her and looking at that beautiful face. She was one special cat.

Attachments

• 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • 213.JPG
    213.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4860.JPG
    IMG_4860.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG950150.jpg
    IMG950150.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tom:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a loss which is always magnified by the amount of love shared between the human and their pet. The more you care, the more it hurts.

Congratulations on such a wonderful relationship with Mabel. I'm glad Mabel had siblings. They will help you mourn her...just like you will help them deal with her loss. It's always a help to be able to go through these difficulties with others.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Tom,

Sorry for your loss. My wife and I had to put our dogs down within an 8 month span. They had been with a long time. We understand your feeling. It had been well over a year since my dog's crossing and about 6 months for my wife. We decided to adopt cats as they are my favorite pet and she has had dogs for over 30 years.

Again, I sympathize with you. I'm glad you have other pets to comfort you.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Tom - I can tell from your description and the photos that was she was an exceptional cat and friend. When I was born, there were two cats in the household that my Mother had since before I was born. When they crossed the rainbow bridge, each time it felt like I lost a sibling. My most sincere condolences for your loss.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Our family cats over the years (3 of them) loved to sleep under the tree, but none of them ever bothered anything on the tree or tried to climb it. When it was a real tree, they also liked to drink the water. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks