What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
RickER said:
You can get the 5 discs on HD/BD without buying the briefcase. If you want the 5th disc on DVD you have to get the briefcase. The HD versions do have a briefcase option as well. I think i got that right? :)
Maybe Wal-Mart has an exculsive?
So what you're saying is that you can get all 5 discs on HD/BR *without* getting the briefcase but if I want all 5 on standard I *have* to buy the briefcase?
Here's the walmart.com listing:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7209473
If you click on the pic for a larger image, it clearly says 5 discs & there's no briefcase to be seen unlike the HD/BR versions which only show the briefcase. There's no mention of an exclusive so I dunno what to think.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Michael Allred said:
So what you're saying is that you can get all 5 discs on HD/BR *without* getting the briefcase but if I want all 5 on standard I *have* to buy the briefcase?
Yep. I have the Blu-ray version on order from Amazon. Costing me $30 with shipping. How is that for a great deal!
That Wal-Mart link is strange. Not sure what to think. The Blade Runner they show IS what the 5 disc digipack looks like thats in the briefcase for the DVD version. I think i will look at Amazon for kicks to see if they offer the same thing. Maybe enough people complained that they wanted the 5th disc on DVD, but not necessarily the briefcase?
Edit:Amazon only shows a 4 disc DVD set w/o briefcase, and the price is $22. I bet the Wal-Mart link is a briefcase set.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Dave Simkiss said:
Ahh yes, Im aware you save STM for Xmas day, but Im curious as to which version of Superman 2 you will be watching? ;D
This new cut of BR is going to blow you away. One thing I would recommend is watching Dangerous Days first, it gave me a completely new perspective on the film - In the past I was always so wrapped up in the visuals and score that I never paid enough attention to the themes. This superbly produced docu has made me appreciate BR on many new levels.
I'm gonna watch the picture first to see if I can figure out all the themes.
I might just sneak in Last Temptation of Christ. :D

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
RickER said:
Yep. I have the Blu-ray version on order from Amazon. Costing me $30 with shipping. How is that for a great deal!
That Wal-Mart link is strange. Not sure what to think. The Blade Runner they show IS what the 5 disc digipack looks like thats in the briefcase for the DVD version. I think i will look at Amazon for kicks to see if they offer the same thing. Maybe enough people complained that they wanted the 5th disc on DVD, but not necessarily the briefcase?
Edit:Amazon only shows a 4 disc DVD set w/o briefcase, and the price is $22. I bet the Wal-Mart link is a briefcase set.
Best Buy's listing is also confusing.
What are the odds I can walk into BB/Circuit City on the morning of the 18th and pick up the briefcase? I'd like to preorder the briefcase set so I have a copy waiting for me, but their listings are the same as Wal-Mart's.
(Made sure to finish my holiday shopping tonight, so that when I get paid on the 14th, I can use that money towards BR. :))

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Bill Hunt over at Digitalbits.com has posted an outstanding review of the SD-DVD version of the 5-disc release. I highly recommend checking it out!

He covers in substantial detail what is available on the discs and has made me want this more than EVER.

I have the HD-DVD version on order, I cannot wait!

Thanks for a great revew, Bill H!

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Just read the review at The Digital Bits. He mentioned that the overall image quality was excellent on the original U.S. theatrical version, the international version and the director's cut, but not quite as good as this final cut. I don't understand why there is any image quality difference between these versions. When the restoration was taking place, why wouldn't all the various cuts of the film be taken from the fully restored prints and then get new optimum DVD transfers for each cut which all look equally good? I can understand if there are slight differences with any newly filmed scenes used for the final cut, but shouldn't the other 99% of the movie look just as good in all the versions of the movie on DVD?
On a separate issue, can anyone confirm if these color timing differences that apparently exist in the final cut are also in the original U.S. theatrical version, the international version and the director's cut, or are the colors in those 3 versions the same as they've always been before?
Thanks for any info. :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
dvdvision: I realize it was the DVD set that was reviewed, which I mentioned twice in that post. But that has nothing to do with why all the cuts of the film wouldn't look equally good in terms of overall image quality, regardless of whether all the cuts of the movie being reviewed were on DVD or some type of high definition DVD. This happened to be a regular DVD-to-DVD comparison of disks in the very same box set.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Lee-c said:
Just read the review at The Digital Bits. He mentioned that the overall image quality was excellent on the original U.S. theatrical version, the international version and the director's cut, but not quite as good as this final cut. I don't understand why there is any image quality difference between these versions. When the restoration was taking place, why wouldn't all the various cuts of the film be taken from the fully restored prints and then get new optimum DVD transfers for each cut which all look equally good? I can understand if there are slight differences with any newly filmed scenes used for the final cut, but shouldn't the other 99% of the movie look just as good in all the versions of the movie on DVD?
Fair question.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Was reading Bill's review over at The Bits, and this part (from the Dangerous Days section) jumped out at me:
EDIT: said:
I think I remember Paul's discussion of these audio interviews from Future Noir, and now they've been included here. Whooooo.
I will have no life whatsoever for several days, come late December. Charlie, I wanna have your baby. We'll figure something out.
(Also, this image is going in my .sig at some point...)

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Michael Allred said:
TheDigitalBits is reporting that the only way to get all 5 discs on SD without buying the briefcase will be to pick it up at Best Buy. They will apparently have an exclusive on it.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I bet it's the briefcase edition just like everywhere else. I see absolutely nothing on the Best Buy site that indicates an exclusive or briefcase-less edition (actually there's pretty much no info at all), only a picture of the slipcase which Amazon has too. And even if it was an exclusive it would be a crummy deal since Amazon has the briefcase for the same price.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kris Z. said:
And even if it was an exclusive it would be a crummy deal since Amazon has the briefcase for the same price.
I thought the same thing at first but that's $55 before any sale prices have been applied so I'd assume that the price will be cheaper when it actually is released. I'd like to get the fifth disc but I'm not paying another $25 (or whatever the difference between the four disc and the briefcase is) for one disc and some junk that I don't want.

sarah99

Agent
Real Name
sarah
Patrick.C said:
TheDigitalBits is reporting that the only way to get all 5 discs on SD without buying the briefcase will be to pick it up at Best Buy. They will apparently have an exclusive on it.
Just get the UK release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks