What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
captainjoe said:
There's some amazing clarity coming through on the Final Cut. The old US release is so awful in comparison, even the workprint is better.
Yep. The final cut looks great.
The green bias is going to take some getting used to...and the contrast does seem to be a little underpowered, at least in these caps. But I have to reserve judgment. I have a feeling calibrating this one for the correct look is going to be a challenge.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
DexterPQ said:
Holy shit, it makes one truly appreciate how great the Final Cut looks with its corrected color-timing, and how abysmal the 1997 transfer is. That poster above is right -- even the Workprint is better-looking.
It practically gives breast cancer to passing Chihuahuas.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Maggi Magg said:
214 minutes and 6 seconds in region 2 land.
Cheers
Maggi
But speaking personally, I could have watched another 214 minutes of docu on top of that :D
Actually if you were to add up the run times of all the featurets it probably comes close. What an incredible set.
I've been listening to the Ridley Scott commentary and it's extremely enlightening, there is very little crossover with what has already been covered in the docu's. Ridley as always goes very in-depth and assumes his audience has a half decent level of intellect.
I cannot say enough about this set.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
DexterPQ said:
Thanks for the link. I assume these comparison shots are all from the SD DVD versions yes?. After looking at those comparisons I think I prefer the remastered version. The Final Cut looks too dark in some of those caps. It loses some of the shadow detail and I don't like the green tint in some of those scenes either. Still I doubt I'll be watching that version much anyway. I'm primarily getting the set for the original theatrical and international cuts. Which I will be watching most of the time. The work print looks pretty bad so I'll probably watch it once out of curiosity.
It'll be nice to see some SD v HD comparisons.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Robin_B said:
Thanks for the link. I assume these comparison shots are all from the SD DVD versions yes?. After looking at those comparisons I think I prefer the remastered version. The Final Cut looks too dark in some of those caps. It loses some of the shadow detail and I don't like the green tint in some of those scenes either. Still I doubt I'll be watching that version much anyway. I'm primarily getting the set for the original theatrical and international cuts. Which I will be watching most of the time. The work print looks pretty bad so I'll probably watch it once out of curiosity.
Actually, just listening to the Ridley Scott commentary and he makes a point of saying how happy he was at the time of filming that they used sodium (I think) lamps as it turned everything green.
But that was a comment made during the Zhora chase sequence out in the streets. There are a good few interior shots that now have a green tint as well, but I found that skin tones still look natural throughout - so I assume the green tint is is a product of the original photography, and not due to digital grading or re-colour timing.
Im no expert, but that's the way it seems to me.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
oscar_merkx said:
Thanks Sumner for such a thorough posting of the discs.
How long is Dangerous Days ? 1.78 could mean several things
I have modified my post above. "1.78" is the aspect ratio and should have ben written "1.78:1".
Maggi is correct with the timing on Disc 2: 3:34:06 (Pal)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Sumnernor said:
I have modified my post above. "1.78" is the aspect ratio and should have ben written "1.78:1".
Maggi is correct with the timing on Disc 2: 3:34:06 (Pal)
Awesome and thank you

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I saw The Final Cut in the theater over the weekend and, during the scene where Deckard tells Rachael her memories are implants and she starts to cry, I nearly broke out laughing because I suddenly had a flashback of the Simpsons episode where the angry townspeople set fire to the Science Museum and a flaming Robbie the Robot rushes out of the building and, in his Robbie the Robot voice says, "Why? Why was I programmed to feel pain?"

Ah, the random connections the mind makes. I guess you had to be there.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Craig,
I was fortunate enough, as a friend of mine is a projectionist at Cinema 21, and I got a tour of the projection booth before the film started. It was very cool to a nerd like me to see the two reels the film was on, and all the goodies.
On the film itself, I have watched this film, first on VHS, then the DC theatrically, then the faux DC cut DVD, more than any other film.
I love "The Final Cut," and think all involved gave us the best possible version of the film without damaging it (dare I say "raping childhoods"?) by not making alterations just for the sake of doing so or adding "wiz bang" the way that "Star Wars IV: A New Hope" now does not quite "feel" like the film I fell in love with in 1977.
I did notice all the changes, but again, I have watched this film so many many times, that it has been burnned into my brain. ALL the changes worked well for me.
Of note, the Zhora scene originally bothered me, because it was this tragic scene, but I could not help notice the body double. Now, it plays perfectly and I can wallow in the sadness of the moment instead of the lowsy wig on the stunt woman.
It seems clear to me they used technology to correct the film, not remake it as if it was being made in 2007.
I cannot wait to add this version to my collection.
Craig Beam said:
It's coming to Portland after all! Cinema 21, for two weeks starting October 26...
http://www.cinema21.com/#bladerunner
I am so there. Probably more than once. This just fucking MAKES my day.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Robin_B said:
Apparently based on some of these released caps, I've already read about some responding to the new transfer of The Final Cut--regarding color timing and black levels--as though it were the latest release of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
But I can't wait to give it a look. The detail and definition on view in some of those shots is stunning (especially the third). Not a hint of murk or artifacting; astonishing.
--Jack

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I coulda swore this was discussed already but damn if I can't find it so perhaps someone could clear this up for me?

I was under the impression that ONLY the briefcase packaged set contains the 5th disc (this refers to the standard, HD and Blu-Ray versions) and yet after looking at sites like walmart.com they clearly list a 5 disc set NOT in that silver briefcase packaging (standard DVD.)

So which is it then? Can I only have all five discs if I buy the briefcase package or can I get it in more conventional packaging? Is there a disc exclusive to the briefcase (or some feature, perhaps the workprint) that is exclusive to the briefcase and *not* on the 5 disc set in standard packaging?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
The Walmart thing must be an error because it's the same price as the briefcase. The briefcase edition however is also supposed to have a regular slipcase type of packaging inside, the one pictured.

And the only way to get the 5th disc without buying the briefcase is to get one of the US HD DVD/Blu-ray or European DVD editions. For US DVD the briefcase is the only option that includes it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Michael Allred said:
I coulda swore this was discussed already but damn if I can't find it so perhaps someone could clear this up for me?
I was under the impression that ONLY the briefcase packaged set contains the 5th disc (this refers to the standard, HD and Blu-Ray versions) and yet after looking at sites like walmart.com they clearly list a 5 disc set NOT in that silver briefcase packaging (standard DVD.)
So which is it then? Can I only have all five discs if I buy the briefcase package or can I get it in more conventional packaging? Is there a disc exclusive to the briefcase (or some feature, perhaps the workprint) that is exclusive to the briefcase and *not* on the 5 disc set in standard packaging?
You can get the 5 discs on HD/BD without buying the briefcase. If you want the 5th disc on DVD you have to get the briefcase. The HD versions do have a briefcase option as well. I think i got that right? :)
Maybe Wal-Mart has an exculsive?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks