What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Pretty much what my good friend Dharm said...

Vangelis declined to participate for personal reasons. This was after YEARS of discussions with his people and multiple attempts at trying to schedule an interview with him. We even had a camera crew on deck in Greece and I was ready to fly over there on a moment's notice for this.

Not to worry, there is still a section of "Dangerous Days" devoted to him and his wonderful music, with Ridley and others discussing his unique scoring process.

To everyone else: Thank you so much for the very kind words and productive feedback. I'm sure everyone who worked on this challenging project appreciate it. This has been a dream come true for me, so I'm glad you're enjoying the final product after all these years.

See you at the chat next week!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
charlie, thanks for the awesome remastering. i had a chance to watch this film on the BIG SCREEN+digital 5.1 surround sound locally here in a cinema and i was simply BLOWN away. when i first saw it, i didn't even realize how SIGNIFICANT the scene was between rachael and deckard in his apartment was. it just flew over my head... but this time... i hadn't even realized that BR was very emotional =). makes you feel for replicants and how human they are... even though they aren't =). that was AWESOME!!!
what's really scary is how fast robots are being introduced into society in Japan for example and how those cultures are slowly beginning to mix (east+west). this film becomes more and more relevant over the years.
again, good job on everyone involved! i bet ridley scott gives you nice christmas presents charlie!!! >).

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Charles de Lauzirika said:
Vangelis declined to participate for personal reasons. This was after YEARS of discussions with his people and multiple attempts at trying to schedule an interview with him. We even had a camera crew on deck in Greece and I was ready to fly over there on a moment's notice for this.
Not to worry, there is still a section of "Dangerous Days" devoted to him and his wonderful music, with Ridley and others discussing his unique scoring process.
No an easy man to ... see, I guess. [wink]
Thanks for the response and sorry about the vent.
Alex

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Charles de Lauzirika said:
Pretty much what my good friend Dharm said...
To everyone else: Thank you so much for the very kind words and productive feedback. I'm sure everyone who worked on this challenging project appreciate it. This has been a dream come true for me, so I'm glad you're enjoying the final product after all these years.
See you at the chat next week!
Hmm .... that's interesting because in the UK Empire printed magazine dated August 2007, Vangelis has plenty to say about Blade Runner.
Oh well you can't please everyone I guess

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I'm so jealous of you guys who have it already! I just keep telling myself "I've waited years for this so I can wait only 15 more days."

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Jim C said:
Back to BR, I agree with you Dave, the new colour timing and grading is perfect. The Final Cut really does justice to Jordan Cronenweth's sublime cinematography. I remember a conversation we had years ago on discussing the look of Blade Runner, and you said (something along the lines of) you can take any frame of footage from that movie, blow it up, have it framed, put it on your wall, and it will be a work of art. I agreed with you back then, and I agree even more so now.
Jim - I remember that Superman Cinema message boards conversation well :D Interspersed between the multiple Alien 3 gushing threads. When all we had to live on was 50th generation VHS copies of the A3 workprint and Japanese promotional photos of deleted scenes.
I just watched 'The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth'. Very in-depth and revealing and even a little upsetting. It's packed with nothing but praise for Cronenweth's character and talent.
Going to start on the commentaries today while in work - don't tell the boss :D

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thanks for the early reports from the UK guys.
Sounds like the DDays doc is amazing. As with the Quad docs - I look forward to seeing it as much as the new cut.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Today I just received from Amazon-UK the Blade Runner Box. I received an email on Sunday that it was being sent and I received it today - Tuesday! Very quick. With Amazon.com I have placed 2 orders one sent Nov 1st, the 2nd Nov 15th. The 2nd order arrived a few days ago but the 1st order not yet received!
The Blade Runner box comes in a metal-box similar in size to the Superman box. The cover is hinged. Inside is the box contained within a sleeve containing the 5 DVDs. I am not sure what you call this type of packaging - it is similar used by the Pink Panther films.
If you fold it out, to the left is a sleeve holding the booklet plus an envelope containing 8 pictures cards. Someone earlier mentioned about not getting these cards. Others have. Perhaps they could be photocopied for the person without. There is also a transparent page - A letter from Ridley Scott. Then there are 2 discs; 2 more discs and the 5th disc. Like the Tom & Jerry, in order to remove disc 2 (or 4), you have to remove disc 1 (or 3).
The booklet describes about the 5 DVDs:
Disc 1: The Final Cut (2.40:1)
In addition to the film is:
Introductions and Commentary - Ridley Scott
Commentaries by: Hampton Fancher; Daniel Peoples;
Michael Deeley;Katherine Haber
Commentaries By: Syd Mead; Lawrence G. Paull; David Synder;
Douglas Trumbull; Richard Yuricich; David Dryer
Disc 2: Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner (1.78:1)
Incept Date - 1980: Screenwriting and Dealmaking
Blush Response: Assembling the Cast
A good start: Designing the Future
Eye of the Storm: Production Begins
Living in Fear: Tension on the Set
Beyond the Window: Visual Effects
In Need of Magic: Post-Production Problems
To Hades and Back: Release and Resurrection
Disc 3: Archival Versions: (2.40:1)
All 3 have an introductions by Ridley Scott
US Theatrical Cut (1982)
International Cut (1982)
Director's Cut (1992)
Disc 4: Enhancement Archive
Inception
The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. the Film
Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews
Fabrication
Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
Screen Tests: Rachael and Pris
The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
Deleted & Alternate Scenes
Longevity
1982 Promotional Featurettes
On the Set
Convention Reel
Behind-the-Scenes Outtakes
Trailers
Promotion Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
Deck-a-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
Nexus Generation: Fans and Filmakers
Disc 5: Workprint
The first-Ever Home Video release of the raely seen Pre-release
Workprint, featuring alternate footage, music and voice over
Introduction by Ridley Scott
Commentary by Paul M. Sammons
All Our Variant Futures: Featurette Tracking the Fascinating History
behind the films multiple versions and an indepth look at
creating The Final Cut
In the metal- box there is a "Motion Picture Clip" (made in China). It is a piece of glass which when you rotate it, the picture changes. The R2 version of disk 3 has English, German, Castilian Spanish and subtitles for English, German, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish.
I have played parts of the 3 films on disc 3 and don't notice any breaks due to the various film versions.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that great link!

In the effect scenes the final cut is a bit sharper and clearer and I like how the windows and lights are a lot warmer in the spinner shot. However in most of them I find it too dark with too many details having been lost in the shadows, and the neon lights in the street shot have lost their punch too. And I'm sorry to say it but that neon sign in the last cap looks really unconvincing/fake and seems to me like both a terrible and terribly unnecessary change. It looks like it's on so why doesn't it shed any light? And the fantastic look of the contrasting red and blue colours is gone too.

But no matter, this is why it's so great to have all the versions. And the Tyrell building interior is even more golden now than in the previous DC release!

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
There's some amazing clarity coming through on the Final Cut. The old US release is so awful in comparison, even the workprint is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks