What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The next Superbit title? (1 Viewer)

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, what going on with the superbit title??

We usually got a list of 2-4 title every month for the upcommnig release, but now, I haven't ear anything for a couple of month. even the superbitdvd.com website still got the 10/7/03 realse date for "les miserable" and "le cirque du soleil"...hello update!

I just hope that sony isn't dropping the supperbit release?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering, as well. I am hoping for Spider-Man, but I bet that won't come out until the next movie.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
When Superbit first came out, I really liked the idea. The first wave of titles were old Columbia releses that could benefit from a maxed out bitrate and DTS such as The Fifth Element and Air Force One, however, now it seems they're releasing (or should I say double-dipping) releases that are barely a year old, and already had good video and audio quality in the first place. What about some older catalog titles that could benefit from a cleaned up video and new DTS track. Other than Panic Room, which is only available in a Superbit title, I havent bought any in a while, and don't plan on it, until they start releasing titles that actually need it.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for a Crimson Rivers Superbit. Getting tired of dubbed tracks getting 5.1 (And a good 5.1 mix at that!)while the original language(In this case, French)is stuck with stereo.:angry:

greg_t

Screenwriter
I was thinking about this the other day, and one title that I might go for on superbit if it got a new transfer is Ghostbusters. The original is pretty good, but could be done better.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I always thought Last Action Hero would be a prime candidate for a Superbit release. The existing disc isn't bad, but its a 2+ hour movie on a single layer disc from the early days of DVD...Say what you will about the movie, but the A/V presentation would rock!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
DR. STRANGELOVE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND are coming out SB in Japan by the end of the year.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Last Action Hero is out in Japan. I keep neing tempted to get it, but I have this fear that as soon as I shell out the $40 + shipping it will be announced for a domestic release, and I will have wasted $25 bucks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For those unfamilar, if a Superbit comes out in another region first, it's just a matter of time before Region 1 gets it (unless it's a title that does not have Columbia Tri-Star rights in our Region).

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The title I'd most like to see in a Superbit Deluxe (and also a SE re-release, with commentary) is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Branagh). A very close runner up is First Knight.

Other films I'd love to see in the Superbit line include Last Action Hero (mentioned by others above :emoji_thumbsup: ) and A Few Good Men.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
'55 or '99, Larry? I'd pick up a SB of the '55 (which I've never seen; I'd buy it for the actors involved), but I was never happy with the '99, personally (though it, too, has an outstanding cast). I generally love Neil Jordan films (particularly the largely overlooked and very disturbing In Dreams, and his recent gem The Good Thief), but found his remake of Affair too blatant and ugly, lacking in the personal depths necessary for a story such as that to resonate. I should say that I gave up on it after a while and didn't finish it, however.

And of course I know that may be a minority opinion. :)

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I just put quite a few titles in my wish list at www.hmv.co.jp. There are more superbit titles that aren't even here yet. I think that they will eventually get here, its just a matter of time.

Here's a sample of what is available in Superbit from Japan.

A Few Good Men
In The Line of Fire
Glory
Jumanji
Dr. Strangelove
Jerry McGuire
Stand By Me
Spiderman
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Last Action Hero

There are a couple of titles that belong to Paramount, Universal, and Warner Bros. I know these titles will not get the DTS treament over here in the US.

Happy Hunting!!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I would like to see a redone SB of THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN-but first the color palette must be fixed-the golden 'Italian' style coloring of the previous laserdiscs is gone, replaced by flat, dull colors.

what was once literally a joy for me to watch is now painfull for that disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale