What's new

The Next Sony ES DVD player announced (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like Sony is streaming out a bunch of press releases.

I'm quite excited about this DVD player.. Time to upgrade my DVP S7000.. hehe. -gh

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
It's just my opinion, but the lack of DVD-Audio on this player makes it a must-pass for the price. It doesn't even look as cool as the 9000. :frowning:
-Lyle J.P.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well Sony is a SACD inventor [along with Philips],so they won't offer DVD-A capability,at least not for awhile.
I agree it doesn't look as "cool" like the 9000 but it's specs are better,impressive in fact,but like you I'm waiting on a universal player,that does most everything "right".

JackS

Supporting Actor
Typical ES appearence. Neat, clean ,nice. Did the article state a MSRP and a release date? Just a quick scan and I may have missed it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
From the picture that accompanies the press release, it looks like the 'NS999ES might have the same slick drawer mechanism as the 'S9000ES. That would be cool. :)

Phil Rose

Agent
When I spoke with Oade Bros. last week I was told that they would be offering the 999ES at under $900 and it would be available in September (late?).:emoji_thumbsup:

No DVD-A? NO THANKS.

Sony is making a big mistake here. If they had made this a universal player, I wouldn't have had to think twice. But with new universal players coming out from Marantz and Pioneer (the latter with a firewire output, no less), I'll have to pass.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, the Sony 'NS999ES with SACD and no DVD-Audio will retail for $1200. The Denon DVD-3800 with DVD-Audio and no SACD retails for $1200. So Denon is no better than Sony. When you consider that Sony co-developed SACD with Philips, it is to be expected that Sony will not incorporate DVD-Audio playback into its components. On the other hand, I would sooner expect Denon to embrace both high-resolution formats, but it has not.

By the way, the Denon DVD-9000 with DVD-Audio and no SACD retails for $3500. It's hard to criticize Sony when you consider the Denon '3800 and '9000 and consider Sony's interest in the success of SACD.

Han

Second Unit
Nobody's seen the picture quality of this player yet have they? I think it's a little early to compare this with the Denon 3800 if it turns out all those video gimicks don't amount to as good a picture as the updated Denon 3800.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Han, Keith's comparison of the two models had nothing to do with the video capabilities of both machines. It was solely a comparison based on the fact that one offers one high resolution audio format and the other offers the OTHER one, with neither providing capability for both. Obviously the Sony isn't out yet and the Denon is. Comparing video quality is impossible. Comparing the feature set however, is.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
David, the Sony 'NS999ES with SACD and no DVD-Audio will retail for $1200. The Denon DVD-3800 with DVD-Audio and no SACD retails for $1200. So Denon is no better than Sony. When you consider that Sony co-developed SACD with Philips, it is to be expected that Sony will not incorporate DVD-Audio playback into its components.
The "no better" comment is only true if you actually believe that SACD has the same long-term viability as DVD-Audio. For those of us who believe that SACD is the next Minidisc or Digital Compact Cassete (developed by, drumroll please, Sony and Philips respectively) then the Denon is indeed better, at least for long-term format support.

-Lyle J.P.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sony is making a big mistake here.
Why?

Because they are not promoting the competing format when they have hundreds of millions in R&D and marketing?

David, I don't think we will ever see universal players from Sony.

By the way, when in Meridian coming out with a Super Audio player?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
Thank you.
Lyle,
While the jury is out on the future of SACD, certainly nothing is certain with DVD-Audio. That said, I don't want to get into format debate. Evan summarized my point quite well about the 'NS999ES and '3800.
Dan said:
I don't think the close-up picture is big enough.
Me neither. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If its like the current generation(recently released Sony dvd players) It'll have the chroma bug :frowning:
By the way, when in Meridian coming out with a Super Audio player?
Meridaen developed the dvd audio spec so I highly doubt they will ever release SACD anything.
Now OTOH the Marantz is being touted highly solely based on the fact its a SACD/DVD audio player but noone mentions it has the same video chip as the Pioneer which has the chroma bug =/
Personally right now is not the time to buy a universal player if you plan on using it as your primary DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks