Joe Cocker
Janis Joplin
The Cars
Blind Faith
Lynyrd Skynyrd
ZZ Top

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
The lack of diversity among these two lists is really, really off-putting. Gee, do I pick the "all classic/hard rock list" or the "all classic/bluesy rock list"?

Ric, for at least including Weird Al and Danny Elfman, and because there's no one I truly hate on his list.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

Diversity? We're talking about music, here! What's the point of listening to music you don't like or enjoy? It's far more satisfying to have broad knowledge of a single genre you love rather than barely scratching the surface in all of them.

I applaud Ric & Jim. They weren't trying to please the snobs and instead put together honest lists. :emoji_thumbsup:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, it might be considered even better to have a deep knowledge of many genres you love, and an appreciation for the very best of other genres. There was a time (many years ago), where a list like this from me would have been all rock. And I still have an overriding love of the Beatles. But I find my music listening a hell of lot more satisfying by enhancing my favorite genre (rock) with lots of great music from other genres.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I agree. While I don't have the time or money (too many DVDs) to delve deeply into all the musical genres that interest me, I do listen to a local college station that plays quite a variety of music - I've been turned on to a lot of great albums through them. The latest: Cover the World - World Music Versions of Classic Pop Hits. Along with other cool tracks, you get a nifty version of Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Angelique Kidjo. And check out that flamenco version of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks