What's new

Directors The Music Draft! (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Andy for the kind words.

Since Ric & I seem to be getting ganged up on let me say this.

I just looked over everyones list & I find it amusing that we're being criticized on our lack of diversity when just about every other list is stacked with Pop/Rock of one generation/type or another with the token Composer/Reggae/Blues/Country artist thrown in for good measure. I guess that makes for diversity around here.

It's very presumptuous to assume Ric & I don't have other musical interests but whatever, think what you want as I don't give a fuck.

As usual on the HTF, honesty & lack of conformity with trying to impress others is frowned upon by some.

Whatever.

BTW - If Ric pulls out the win over me - Congrats :D :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Hey, I ain't gangin' up on ya - I liked your list for the most part. :)

As for my list, I picked what I like - the majority of it being pop/rock, though I did throw in Bach (my favorite composer) and some more obscure favorites to spice up the list. Of course, I got my ass kicked. :D

BTW, Jim, you're up in the History Draft.

Cary T

Screenwriter
Well, I don't care for diversity in music either. Unlike movies where we can like comedy, drama, and horror equally. Music is extremely difficult to like multi-genres. I've venture through many genres in the past and found the one that I love. I've been listening to only rock for the last 5 years. Can't listen to hip hop, country, teen pop, soft rock, and many other genres because I simply can't tolerant it now. There are so many sub-genres within the rock genre, I feel I've barely scatch the surface of rock. I'm getting off track, but I loathe soft rock. My definition of soft rock are bands like Nickleback, Cold Play, and Saliva. That's enough of my rant.

I haven't voted yet so I'm voting for Jim for mainly Zeppelin. Zeppelin would have been on my list too. The Doors, Elton John, The Cars, and The Police are decent. The only band I really like from Ric's list is Black Sabbath. Will be back tonight to announce the winner.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you're referring to my list or not, but if so, I'd suggest you look more carefully. :) It's pretty hard to have a list of only 15 artists, do justice to your favorite genre, and include many other genres, without some of those genres getting limited to a single artist. But that doesn't make those artists 'tokens'. The best jazz musician and the best reggae artist and the best gospel singer are (IMNSHO), better than the hundredth best rock artist. :) Again, if you weren't referring to my list, then in the words of Emily Latella, "Never mind." :b

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I really wasn't singling out anyones list but since you brought up yours then I'll give it a go.

You've certainly picked (among your non pop/rock artists) some of the most popular/mainstream artists from other music genre's. I don't think that it proves any type of extensive knowledge within those genre's as Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, B.B. King, Beethoven, Herrmann, etc. are all so mainstream that any neophyte would be familiar with their work. One could also easily classify the former 4 artists as Pop music because of this.

I do find it odd that you of all people (the HTF champion non-conformist in regards to film) would perch yourself on a high-horse in regards to your "expertise" in all things musical.

I find it doubly amusing as this comes from the same person who proclaims that everything musical takes a backseat to The Beatles.

Who're you trying to fool? :D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I have to add to this discussion is a response to this statement...
Music is extremely difficult to like multi-genres.
I hardly agree.

It is very easy to enjoy and appreciate music across a variety of genres, even more so if you are a musician yourself (although this is certainly not a requirement) or have been involved in music in some other way (DJ, writing about music, playing in a band, etc.). I consider myself a musician and a lover of many genres of music, and listen to classical, blues, jazz (my favorite), opera, showtunes, pop, rock, bluegrass, folk, electronica, Latin music, etc and so on.

That being said, I have no problem with anyone's list here. It's not crime to like music all of one type. However, I hope that drafts like this encourage each of us to broaden our musical palette.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Jim, not to get into too deep an argument. But these aren't top 10 lists (my list doesn't have any of my top 3), they were part of a draft. And frankly it's no surprise that the artists I chose from other genres are well-known and popular. It's because they are (among) the very best of those genres. If this were a jazz draft, I'd still have selected Miles Davis first and then Louis, but eventually would get to Air and Art Tatum and Clifford Brown and Kenny Burrell and others. The same in other categories. But I wasn't trying to "prove any type of extensive knowledge within those genres" because

a) I don't have any need to prove that
b) that wasn't the purpose of this draft
c) my expertise in those areas is most likely much better than many others, but with the exception of the Beatles, I don't consider myself an 'expert' in any area of music. However I do consider myself 'fairly well educated' with regards to many of those genres, in most of which I have hundreds of cds in (which is admittedly only scratching the surface of something like jazz).

Nevertheless, getting back to the original debate, there seems to be some idea that it is better to know lots and lots about one genre, than lots and lots about one genre, plus something (lots or little) about other genres. And that I disagree with. But as I said, many years ago, I took that limited view, and I can only say how very much more enjoyable my current music listening is having (at least some, and almost certainly the best) of those other genres as part of my collection. But if you disagree fine. You're hurting no one (except possibly yourself).

I feel like I should respond to some of that, but to be honest I don't really understand it, so I won't :).

Cary T

Screenwriter
Jim wins 8-5.

According to HTF Jim has compile the best musical list. I thank everyone for playing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks