What's new

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) (1 Viewer)

Josh.C

Second Unit
I will have to go back and read through this one.

As posted earlier I had a really big problem with the wild dance party sequence. It really took me out of the movie. Other than that, I need to rewatch before commenting too much, because I can't remember much of the movie. I think I tried to remove it from my mind.

That said, in honor of those of you who loved it, I am going to give it a rewatch. And I own (and absolutely LOVE by the way) the original Matrix, so I will watch them back to back, to see how well they flow together.

JC

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was shocked at how well The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded worked together. There is no "gotcha". Everything presented in the first film is completely accurate with what is known at the time. When the rug is pulled out from the audience in the second film (the Architect), it's pulled out from the characters as well, AND remains consistent with everything in the first film. That's great writing. Very delicate balancing act.

The dance scene is a critical scene to the film. john has better defenses of it than I, so look for his posts. Long story short, it's established as a counterpoint to the rave scene in the first Matrix where Neo meets Trinity and the Club Hel sequence in the third film, where programs are trying to simulate the act of celebration. It also exists to celebrate humanity, life, and love. Its no orgy...it's a rhythmic primal dance. Only two people are making love, and they are the two main characters. They are ALSO celebrating humanity and life and love, with their bodies and eyes. And it ends for them (isolated from the larger celebration...probably due to their fates) with sadness and fear, thanks to Neo's dream.

But skim the thread. There's LOTS in here :)

John Doran

Screenwriter
chuck - i assume (perhaps incorrectly) that you're referring to me here. strange thing, though: i skimmed the thread and found only a handful of my posts, the first coming only on page 40...

i could have sworn i posted more and earlier than that on this thread...maybe some of my stuff got deleted?

weird.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
john,
I am referring to you, and your posts must have been lost to the ether, which is a real shame. I know you posted well before Page 40, and often. Could they be under joDOR?

It is weird,
Chuck

John Doran

Screenwriter
chuck - just checked: if they were under joDOR, then they've been lost, too.

sigh. one of my two favorite threads, too...

ah, well.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the thread was longer than 59 pages at one point. But yes, you currently have 48 posts, including your last two, so some posts are clearly missing. Which is too bad, because the frequent members of this thread had such a fun and intelligent discussion :) Well, some of it remains.

I've not been able to find lots of threads since the big move. Just part of the growing pains, I suppose :frowning:

Take care,
Chuck

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I own that big box set and I probably should give this trilogy another shot. I have more problems with the third one, but the second one doesn't bother me much. Not trying to derail this thread, but re-reading some of these posts reminds me to give it another try.

John Doran

Screenwriter
thanks to this most recent bump, i'm planning a matrix trilogy viewing this saturday...

i think maybe i ought to distribute fliers around my condo, 'cos i'm gonna be popping nails in the drywall of all of the adjacent units to mine....

sweet. i need something to hold me over until battlestar galactica 2.5...

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Reloaded is far and away my favourite action movie of all time. great action and great dialogue (which is rare). everything about the movie is top notch. it's a shame that Revolutions fell so far off.

Josh.C

Second Unit
OK guys,

I watched Reloaded again tonight, and I have to admit, it was a much better movie for me on second viewing. Still had a lot of holes and things I would change, but after watching the Matrix last night, maybe it made a bit more sense on this viewing.

The Matrix series is so incredibly intricate and hard to grasp sometimes, which means, maybe a third viewing is in order. I also rented the third installment, which I am about to watch, and hope it will clear up some of my questions.

Some things that I am struggling with. In this movie Smith can recreate himself by sticking his fingers in other people. He explains in the movie that he unplugged himself from the Matrix. However if he is unplugged, why does he still fell the need to stop Neo? Also, it seems as though he is turning other agents, which I assume are regular agents, just like in the last movie. I also had a hard time understanding what powers Smith gained by unplugging himself from the system. Obviously he had more powers because Neo didn't kill him like he did in the original. Also, it seems that the regular agents are still on the prowl as in the first, but only are seen fighting Morpheus, Trinity and company. I assume Neo still has the power to dominate these agents as in the first???

I am still confused by the guardians of the keymaker and how they fit into the Matrix. They are not agents, and not human, so are they just a program the architect wrote? At the same time, the agents are dead set on Terminating the keymaker, so I am assuming the architect controls the agents? WHEW! I need a drink. I don't know how the two albino dudes could teleport. Seems to be out of reach for the agents or any computer program.

At the end of the movie Neo removes a bullet from Trinity and then restarts her heart by reaching into her body? How is this possible, since Trinity is a human being, flesh and blood. The movie made it look like he was reaching into a computer. Is it because they were inside the Matrix? And do they only have special powers while plugged into the Matrix?

Thats a few things that are burning in my mind an hour after viewing. Maybe you guys, Patrick, Chuck and company can help me understand some of these things that perplex me.

Beyond that, I was much more into the movie this time, and seemed to care much more for the characters. I was able to appreciate the action sequences much more this go round, which were absolutely incredible.

I still don't care for the rave scene, although I will admit it didn't bother me quite as much as it did on first viewing (but still bothered me). I wouldn't mind it if it were shortened, and didn't make the human race look like the second coming of Sodom and Gomora. Let the people dance, they don't have to screw each other in public (figuratively speaking of course).

I also get perturbed at the sequence when Neo fights the Smiths in the city after meeting w/ the oracle. Seemed like an excuse to show off the special effects more than a necessity to the story line. It was evident after a very short time that Neo would not be able to overcome these new versions of Agent Smith, so I didn't need to see him take on 300 of them before finally giving up.

That's all for now, fill me with your wisdom, I'm all ears. By the time I read all of your comments I will have concluded the series, which I am hoping will clear up some of my questions.

JC

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Smith gained his extra powers when Neo dived into him in Matrix1. he actually says perhaps some part of Neo's "dna" mixed with his. he feels the need to destroy everything. there is no why, he just wants to. this kind of lateral/independent thinking could have been sparked by Neo's dna, or some argue it could have been brewing since MAtrix1, when Smith wanted to codes to Zion (presumably they were for all the machines to destroy Zion, but it could have been just for him to infiltrate it like he ended up doing in Matrix2 via Bane). maybe he wants revenge for being born (heh heh reference to Tombstone). and the regular agents are still fighting Neo when they can, it happened in the opening scene of Matrix2 (after the meeting).

as for Neo saving Trinity: Trinity is dying because the Matrix is telling her brain she's been shot, and her brain is telling her body. therefore in the real world, her body is acting like it's been shot. Neo has the power to change the Matrix, so he takes the virtual bullet out, the Matrix tells Trinity she hasn't been shot, and her body can then relax in the real world. as for her body starting up again, that's just movie drama :) the keymaker, the merovingian, seraph, the twins, they are all programs (not connected to a human in the real world). programs get deleted/killed when they are not needed anymore. but sometimes they avoid death and hide.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Eric, thanks for the response. Loved the way you used Doc's Tombstone quote in the response, I'll have to give you a "you the man!" for that one:)

One would still think that after seeing Neo implode Smith, the regular agents would avoid them like the plague. Also, it seems like Neo doesn't always use all his powers when he should. Almost like he is just toying with people to make the movie more entertaining. Hard to believe a guy can stop bullets and fly like Superman, but can't get to a door before it closes. I know its a movie, but it bugs me a bit.

I got the part about the programs hiding before they've been deleted, but just seems odd on why the agents haven't already polished them off, as they are all computer programs, and linked in some way.

Hard to have a movie this mind blowing and have all the questions answered, but I appreciate you shedding light on my queries.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks