What's new

The Magnificent Seven remake... (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Saw this yesterday and found it very enjoyable. I'm glad it was different enough from the original that I can enjoy both.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw this yesterday in the theater. Good movie imho, and a rare "traditional Western." In some ways it's better than the original, but in other ways falls short. Denzel Washington brings great star power, and I really liked him in this role, which was a little bit man-with-no-name Clint Eastwood-ish in some places. Liked the touches of music from the late, great James Horner (score was finished by someone else). Darn I wish Horner hadn't been into flying planes, because I still wish for more of his great movie music. As mentioned, they did play bits of the iconic Elmer Bernstein score from the original during the credits. I give this new Magnificent a solid "B"—if not magnificent, I do think it is good. Somehow it didn't emotionally move me the way a really good movie should, but it was well worth seeing on the big screen. Mostly good direction by Antoine Fuqua, and fine cinematography by Mauro Fiore. It's done fairly well at the box office so far, grossing almost $140 million in 3 weeks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's a worldwide gross. And with a production budget of $90 million it has to gross approximately $200 million or so to break even.

I think it will theatrically and make it into the black on home video.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The only good things about this were the always reliable Denzel Washington and Vincent D'Onofrio. They could have called this "The Magnificent Two" because really they were the only interesting characters. Pratt was horrible in this and it seemed like they cut most of his dialogue from the film and what they left was still awful and should have been cut. The rest of the "Seven" were entirely forgettable, the villain was no Eli Wallach, and the film was blandly shot and horribly rewritten to make it as stupid as possible. Essentially, aside from watching Denzel and Vincent who they should have just created a new western for...there is no reason for this picture to exist.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I enjoyed it. Bought the blu yesterday and look forward to watching it with the wife.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I've never seen the original because I was never much of a Western movie fan. But decided to give this a try on digital rental and actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My Blu-ray purchase of the 2016 version of 'The Magnificent Seven' was a blind buy. I was able to get it at Barnes & Noble for $15.11 after their 40% sale and my member coupon & member discount. I watched it the next night and I loved it. It was a bit too violent for my wife, but I ate it all up.

Is the original the better film? Of course. But now I can watch both and enjoy both!

The Booth Bijou gives 'The Magnificent Seven' (2016) 4 out of 5 stars.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks