What's new

The Magnificent Seven remake... (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So, just got back from the Magnificent Seven. The TL;DNR review? Pretty damn good! If you've seen the original or any of the other versions, there will be no surprises to the story: a bad person with his own personal army terrorizes a village, they round up seven dysfunctional gunmen, a trap is set in town, the villagers are trained to fight, much badass gunplay ensues, and in the end only the farmer win.

So if the story hits all the beats, that pretty much leaves the action - which is well staged and not that shaky disorientating nonsense that permeates Hollywood these days - and the acting. Denzel Washington as the Yul Brenner was solid and Chris Pratt in the Steve McQueen slot was good as always. The rest of the cast? They weren't bad - although no Bronson, Vaughn, Colburn or Wallach. Interestingly while you had the Man On The Run From His Dark Past, The Loner, The Outcast and so on, we didn't get a Hot Headed Kid Out To Prove He Is a Man.

If there was one issue I had with the movie, it was that it badly needed a touch of Elmer Bernstein. Not using the theme is like not using the James Bond theme. It was kind of there (and it came blazing full on at the end), but they could have sprinkled it in the movie more.

At the end of the day, did Seven Samurai yet need another remake? Honestly, no - but it was still a fun waste of 2 hours - especially after the non-stop crushing disappointments that we got for the summer movies.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Enjoyed it. Solid acting and action. Good remake of a remake.

⭐⭐⭐️out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed this remake very much so. Even though, I liked the original, it was never among my favorite westerns. Sure, there were some great cinematic moments in the original, but I never bonded emotionally with the film except for the film score. I'm glad they didn't add that score until the end of the film. I think it fits this film better that way. Also, I loved the surprise this film had that the 1960 film didn't have in it. Overall, I give this film a 3.5 out of 4.0 rating.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
They should not have called it "The Magnificent Seven" if they were not going to use Bernstein's theme throughout. The two have always gone together. Thru the original and the 3 follow up films. They could have named it something different.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They should not have called it "The Magnificent Seven" if they were not going to use Bernstein's theme throughout. The two have always gone together. Thru the original and the 3 follow up films. They could have named it something different.
You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't agree with that comment!

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't agree with that comment!
Fine That's your opinion but for me, if I'm going to watch a western calling itself "The Magnificent Seven", it better damn well have Bernstein's theme throughout.
Let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fine That's your opinion but for me, if I'm going to watch a western calling itself "The Magnificent Seven", it better damn have Bernstein's theme throughout.
Let's agree to disagree.
Something tells me that the demographic aimed for this film have little recollection of that Bernstein theme. Perhaps, it will motivate some of that younger demographic to check out the original film with that great theme. As far as agreeing to disagree, have you seen this film?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I dont get the obsession with the Bernstein theme and this film. I think playing it during the credits was sufficient enough. It has a terrific score mostly by the late James Horner. The Elmer Bernstein music is great but it is hardly what made the 60's version a classic imo (Although it certainly helped).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I dont get the obsession with the Bernstein theme and this film. I think playing it during the credits was sufficient enough. It has a terrific score mostly by the late James Horner. The Elmer Bernstein music is great but it is hardly what made the 60's version a classic imo (Although it certainly helped).

IMO, the Bernstein score had a lot to do with the 1960 version's success. That said, I don't get why people want to hear it in a remake. This new version is too far down the road to be considered a sequel to the original series (IMO). It's a new movie. I guess some see the Bernstein theme as sort of like the James Bond theme.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that this movie uses its own score rather than leaning on the original's (great) score. I haven't seen the remake yet but based on the trailer, it looks like it takes the premise of the 1960 movies and does its own thing with that rather than just restaging the 'original' again so why not use new music too?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, the Bernstein score had a lot to do with the 1960 version's success. That said, I don't get why people want to hear it in a remake. This new version is too far down the road to be considered a sequel to the original series (IMO). It's a new movie. I guess some see the Bernstein theme as sort of like the James Bond theme.
Maybe, we should bring back the Marlboro commercials.;)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
It pre-dates me by about 15 or 20 years but I think the theme's use in those ads is what really put it into the pop culture hall of fame.
The movie came out first and then Marlboro started using the theme for their ads. I saw the movie the first week it came out and it and the theme is something I've never forgotten. I just wish they had called this new version something else. The basic story has been reused again & again over the last 56 years. It's nothing new.

I'm going to see it on Monday and I will stay thru the credits to hear the theme. Staying thru the credits is something most people don't do anymore

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's a remake of The Magnificent Seven. What should they have called it??

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The movie came out first and then Marlboro started using the theme for their ads. I saw the movie the first week it came out and it and the theme is something I've never forgotten.
I know the theme was written for the movie but I'm saying that the very nature of using it in a TV commercial- people getting to hear the song over and over in their homes- is what solidified it as something that the average person of the day would remember.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And btw apart from the basic plot of townsfolk hiring protectors against a villain, this film is much different than the remake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks