What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Lords Of Discipline - 11/30 (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Thanks again to the ever-vigilent Bill Hunt and The Digital Bits crew for the heads up on this great military drama. The film is a great representation of the original novel.

David Keith and Robert Prosky star in this period drama (based on a true story) set in a Southern military academy as a senior cadet (Keith) is asked by one of the Academy's top brass (Prosky) to help ensure that the school's first black student is not treated unfairly or abused, while a secret, legendary organization of top senior cadets called 'The Ten' have seen that unfit cadets leave the academy with what can best descibed as abusive methods.

It's all the more amazing that the film was made, because no U.S. military academy would allow the film to made on their premises, so the film was shot at an academy in England.

An underappreciated classic.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Thanks again to the ever-vigilent Bill Hunt and The Digital Bits crew for the heads up on this great military drama. The film is a great representation of the original novel.

David Keith and Robert Prosky star in this period drama (based on a true story) set in a Southern military academy as a senior cadet (Keith) is asked by one of the Academy's top brass (Prosky) to help ensure that the school's first black student is not treated unfairly or abused, while a secret, legendary organization of top senior cadets called 'The Ten' have seen that unfit cadets leave the academy with what can best descibed as abusive methods.

It's all the more amazing that the film was made, because no U.S. military academy would allow the film to made on their premises, so the film was shot at an academy in England.

An underappreciated classic.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just a quick note. It's set a PRIVATE military academy (like The Citadel...where it's really set, and the author graduated in 1967...or Virginia Military Institute), not a U.S. (i.e. Government, actual military) military academy (West Point, Annapolis, USAFA). None of the PRIVATE academies would let them film there either.

Incredible book. Never saw the film.

Take care,
Chuck

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just a quick note. It's set a PRIVATE military academy (like The Citadel...where it's really set, and the author graduated in 1967...or Virginia Military Institute), not a U.S. (i.e. Government, actual military) military academy (West Point, Annapolis, USAFA). None of the PRIVATE academies would let them film there either.

Incredible book. Never saw the film.

Take care,
Chuck

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Thanks, Chuck, I should have been a bit more clear on that (as if I hadn't been detailed enough in my synopsis :b )

Look for a pre-Terminator Michael Biehn as one of 'The Ten'.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Thanks, Chuck, I should have been a bit more clear on that (as if I hadn't been detailed enough in my synopsis :b )

Look for a pre-Terminator Michael Biehn as one of 'The Ten'.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I agree with Chuck, this is a fantastic book, one of Pat Conroy's best (along with "The Great Santini"). I actually saw the movie long before reading the book and like it a lot, too. I really like David Keith in this movie (as I do in most of his roles; I guess I just like that Tennessee drawl).
"You can kiss my ass, General."
Hmmm...now I really want to re-read the book...

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I agree with Chuck, this is a fantastic book, one of Pat Conroy's best (along with "The Great Santini"). I actually saw the movie long before reading the book and like it a lot, too. I really like David Keith in this movie (as I do in most of his roles; I guess I just like that Tennessee drawl).
"You can kiss my ass, General."
Hmmm...now I really want to re-read the book...

Louis C

Supporting Actor
This was a movie I liked a lot, but as I recall the critics tore this to shreds for not being faithful enough to the book.

Fortunately for me I had not read the book and was able to thoroughly enjoy this film for what it was - a great movie.

Defninitely on my buy list.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
This was a movie I liked a lot, but as I recall the critics tore this to shreds for not being faithful enough to the book.

Fortunately for me I had not read the book and was able to thoroughly enjoy this film for what it was - a great movie.

Defninitely on my buy list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks