What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Fact and fiction mix agreeably in this handsome biopic.

The Life of Emile Zola (1937)

Released: 02 Oct 1937
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 116 min

Director: William Dieterle
Genre: Biography, Drama

Cast: Paul Muni, Gale Sondergaard, Joseph Schildkraut
Writer(s): Norman Reilly Raine, Heinz Herald, Geza Herczeg

Plot: The biopic of the famous French muckraking writer and his involvement in fighting the injustice of the Dreyfus Affair.

IMDB rating: 7.2
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH...

Continue reading...

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I've never seen it but isn't it noteworthy for not mentioning the reason why the hatred towards Dreyfuss is so strong? As if the French anti-semites suddenly had a pinpoint target they could collectively take out their hatred on. The German market was too important to the moguls. Most of them Jews escaping dangerous hatred in Russia and Europe. Ernst Lubitsch- I've been to Paris, France and Paris, Paramount. I prefer Paris, Paramount.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've never seen it but isn't it noteworthy for not mentioning the reason why the hatred towards Dreyfuss is so strong? As if the French anti-semites suddenly had a pinpoint target they could collectively take out their hatred on. The German market was too important to the moguls. Most of them Jews escaping dangerous hatred in Russia and Europe. Ernst Lubitsch- I've been to Paris, France and Paris, Paramount. I prefer Paris, Paramount.
They don't say the word "Jew," but someone points directly to the word on his personnel folder, and the generals immediately agree on him to blame. The whole business happens in the blink of an eye, so if you look away even for a second, you'll miss it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen 'The Life of Emile Zola', my disc is out for delivery today. My interest stems from the mention of the film in the script of my favorite film, 'The Majestic'. In 'The Majestic', Adele (Laurie Holden) explains to Pete (Jim Carrey) that seeing 'The Life of Emile Zola' when she was 11 was what inspired her to become a lawyer.

I'm sure it's no accident that BOTH films are about someone wrongly accused of treason.

Mark

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
They don't say the word "Jew," but someone points directly to the word on his personnel folder, and the generals immediately agree on him to blame. The whole business happens in the blink of an eye, so if you look away even for a second, you'll miss it.
Very easy to snip out for foreign markets.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched The Life of Emile Zola today. A fabulous film, indeed. What a treat to see it for the first time.

The disc was loose in its case when my copy was delivered. Fortunately, no scratches.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
FWIW... The original WB press release listed 'Alibi Mark' as one of the included shorts. In reality, the first included short is 'Taking the Count' (Joe Palooka). There's no 'Alibi Mark' to be found on the disc.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks