What's new

The 'Let Go' List... Say 'Bye Bye' to a BD here (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
LOL at the True Detective reference.Yeah, I don't consider DVD -> Blu upgrades as anything more than just that - an even swap. There are a handful of DVDs I've held onto when I got a Blu (OOP Criterions mainly), but otherwise I let the DVDs go.I did watch my DVD of Treasure Planet last night and it's a goner. Bought it during my "if I like it just casually I'll buy it" phase. The nieces & nephews can have it. :)Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Gorillas in the Mist. Loved it and Weaver's performance when it came out, but recently bought the blu-ray and discovered it was a film I got everything out of the first time. No real re-visitability.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"Rolling Thunder"

I was curious to see this again having last seen it in theaters many moons ago (1977), and remembering a good William Devane performance and a revenge Paul Schrader script, so I picked up the recent Shout BD. Curiosity satisfied. Tommy Lee Jones amuses. But stick with Taxi Driver for your shelf copy of requisite Schrader violence.
Bye bye.Joe - Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't enough to hold onto Tequila Sunrise, either. Maybe stick with The Fabulous Baker Boys.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Scott Merryfield said:
That wasn't a good enough reason. I still remember that godawful song "Let's Bowl, Let's Bowl -- Let's Rock 'n' Roll". :wacko:
So, you remember the bowling song, and not "Reproduction"? I must confess I envy you. :huh:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ejanss said:
So, you remember the bowling song, and not "Reproduction"? I must confess I envy you. :huh:
Oh dear God!! I had forgotten "Reproduction" (mercifully) until I read that post! But it's all come crashing back now! How do I begin to thank you??! :P

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"The Thin Red Line" Criterion BD

Terence Malick a genius? I don't agree. I think he has a great visual sense, but he can't seem to put a coherent or compelling story together, let alone any great suspense sequence. I was curious to see if this film was as ponderous, meandering and pretentious as I remembered, and was willing to give it another chance based on some raves. Nope. Still incomprehensible. Apocalypse Now and HBO's The Pacific are keepers (Asian-set war stories). This one's a casualty of friendly fire.

Bye bye.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
^ I've been meaning to revisit it as well. If you're willing to let it go for a decent price just PM me with details and I'll take it off your hands.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Traded it in to local Movie Stop already, sorry. They have a deal where you trade two BDs in and it pays for an upcoming BD release in toto. So this is helping me winnow my collection down by trading in two for one (but that one is more a keeper than the two traded in).

The movie is worth seeing again in HD for the fantastic visuals, but that's not enough for me to keep and re-visit.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"The Sting"

Lovely film. Had to see it again in Blu-ray. But if you're only going to keep one Newman-Redford classic that has much greater replay factor ... you gotta go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. (Con films often lose their novelty 'sting,' on multiple views, if you'll pardon the pun).

Bye bye.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Hollywoodaholic said:
"The Sting"

Lovely film. Had to see it again in Blu-ray. But if you're only going to keep one Newman-Redford classic that has much greater replay factor ... you gotta go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. (Con films often lose their novelty 'sting,' on multiple views, if you'll pardon the pun).

Bye bye.
Isn't that funny, I had quite the opposite reaction: Butch seemed too dated to me and not something I would ever watch again, so that went into the trade pile immediately after viewing. This is what makes the world go around! LOL.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Lately I have been buying 2 disc BD cases and when I "replace" a DVD I put it in the case the with BD. We still have TVs in a few places with built in DVD players.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
JohnMor said:
Isn't that funny, I had quite the opposite reaction: Butch seemed too dated to me and not something I would ever watch again, so that went into the trade pile immediately after viewing. This is what makes the world go around! LOL.
I've got a soft spot for Westerns. But yes, that "Raindrops" sequence was hard to take that first time around, but I remember what a mammoth hit it was at the time and how revolutionary it was for a motion picture to break a popular song on Billboard like that. I also have a not so soft spot for Katherine Ross in that movie. Sam Elliott took her away from all of us and we haven't seen much of her since.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JohnMor said:
I agree with you 100%. Never did like Butch Cassidy. Always loved The Sting.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hollywoodaholic said:
"The Sting"

Bye bye.
I wasn't aware that we were only allowed to keep one of these films. I hope the Newman - Redford movie police don't raid my house. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks