The 'Let Go' List... Say 'Bye Bye' to a BD here

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Hollywoodaholic, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Same here, l like both films equally as it reminds me that they should have made more films together.

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Well, you've outted yourself to them now. ;)

They certainly should have. :(

3. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    i had a much worse time deciding which Lemmon/Matthau pic to keep

4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    HA!. Again, I'm just offering this thread to say goodbye to DVDs and BDs that we like or have enjoyed but probably won't get around to again due to winnowing collections down to a more manageable and re-watchable level.
    I like the camaraderie in Butch, where they played off each other much more, whereas in The Sting, they almost had separately occurring characters that just played into the whole. They were just in the same movie in The Sting. In Butch, their buddy-ness WAS the movie. They lived and died together.Thinking of other Newman collection keepers... Cool Hand Luke will never go. The Hustler. The Verdict.
    Redford... All the President's Men.

5. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    "Two Lane Blacktop"
    Go along for the ride... once. That's about all you need. Hey, I love me some Warren Oates, but he's all over some great television shows in the late 50s and he's due out in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. James Taylor doesn't pretend to act (or care) and the actress died tragically very young and bad (which changes the experience of seeing this again). Sometimes Criterion puts stuff out just because they can or no one else is, not because they're classic. This is a time capsule movie of an age when directors could just do what they want, but it has no real pace, structure, compelling story or reason to see it again. Again, just personal imo's here, but it's significant enough to warrant a formal...

Bye bye.

I'll keep the original Vanishing Point. Forever. Now that's how you do an existential road picture.

6. Brian McP

Brian McP Second Unit

Brian
    Here in Australia, just got the complete 7 seasons of Hill Street Blues so now I've got to ditch my season one and two sets (the best seasons?)

Still waiting for season 4 of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and season 5 of Charlie's Angels to go down slightly in price before I finish off those series -- I've got seasons 1 - 4 of The Bob Newhart Show -- I won't be retiring those, despite any 'complete series' box set overtures.

7. Dougofthenorth

Dougofthenorth Stunt Coordinator

Doug
    And besides, we have the current season of Vikings for that...

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Valhalla Rising is one i'd let go.

This movie looks great, gorgeous cinematography but it just fizzles out for me, very disappointing really and i have tried to sell it on Ebay real cheap, nobody wanted it, probably because it sells so cheaply on Amazon, maybe i can use it to put my cup of tea on.

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Maybe start a companion thread...DVD/ BD you use as coasters...

10. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Something that had been bothering me for the past year or so was the amount of space taken up with the large "big ultimate collectors edition" boxes I'd accumulated in the Blu-ray era. I've always gone for the biggest and best whenever it was a movie I wanted, but a few of the more recent sets had been downright disappointing in what they contained, and I've run out of the kind of "display space" that would justify having all of these sitting around.

What's valuable to me is printed matter -- books that aren't fluff, nice reproductions of posters and lobby cards, material that actually furthers my appreciation for the films. That's how I like my extra features on disc, and it's how I like my extras in a box. I'd already begun keeping the discs themselves on the shelves along with all the others, so I started looking through what was still in the boxes and began making some easy and some hard decisions. Some of these were quite lovely, and I'd always gotten them at the best possible prices, but I just no longer had the interest in the space requirement and in the extraneous items that were never of much interest anyway.

I did the easy ones first, removing the things that were obvious keepers, and setting aside the trinkets that could be of interest to someone. I'll start cutting to the chase here. I reduced a three-foot high stack of boxes to just a few inches of books and artwork. Of these several boxes, I kept one really nice one for storage of some related items, and ... (here it comes) ... crushed the rest of them. And no, it wasn't easy to do. A few of them, sure, but there were a few tough ones. However, it all felt fine after I was done.

I hope this post isn't causing any undue pain and anxiety to other collectors! :)

So, after all of this, the booklets and other items now happily reside with other film books and whatnot; I'll give the unwanted trinkets away to kids or any friends who will appreciate them; and the recycling center gets the cardboard and plastic.

I still have several more tough decisions to make. And some things, such as the Lawrence of Arabia box, are simply inviolable. That's just the way it is, and I allow myself the luxury of holding back on the chosen few. But man, the overall improvement in the room's shelving, and in my sanity as I sit in that room, already amount to a very good thing.

11. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    There is a real satisfaction to letting go of box set clutter, especially if it's an oversized box set using up half a shelf. I have a couple exceptions. I bought the UK Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection BD with the clear acrylic 'Birds' casing that goes over the booklet and it sits prominent on a shelf. We have a Wizard of Oz and we have the Six Feet Under with the grass, also. I like digibooks and keep them.

Let go of... the fringe jacket box set version of Woodstock. It was cute, but the movie and doc alone will suffice.

BTW, does anyone have an argument for keeping the Alien Anthology? I'm tempted to dump that, and just pick up the first two BD movies for $7.99 each at Best Buy. It doesn't take up much room, but does anyone really need the last two films? Same with Indiana Jones and...

As 'Adele Dazim' sings... "Let it go..."

12. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I like the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 quite a bit, and the making-of docs about that troubled production are quite good, IMO.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I do not see the point. I doubt you'll get more than $16 for your Alien box set, and it doesn't take up that much shelf space. I thought the same thing with my Magnificent Seven set, but thought it was pointless for the same reason.

I did just sell the following titles, with no intention of ever buying them again:

The 300 Spartans -- purchased as a blind buy, because I liked the story and the more modern film 300. While I like "epics", I thought this was a poor film, with bad acting, bad fighting scenes, and silly sub plots.

Beauty and the Beast (Criterion) -- I doubt I'll ever watch this silent film again.

Stardust Memories -- this came in a Woody Allen SD-DVD boxed set I bought many years ago, and for some reason I kept it around after upgrading the other titles to BD. I have no desire to upgrade this one, nor watch it again.

14. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Did you watch Criterion's edition of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast with the muting option on? :)

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Yeah, I meant to say foreign language film... don't know why I typed silent. :wacko: Anyway, I hadn't watched the DVD in quite a few years.

16. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Stardust Memories is a beautiful film.

17. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Well, it's not really a space burner, and Amazon's only offering $2.30 for the trade in, so I'll keep this set (I have the UK version). Thanks for the input.

18. Jeff Job

Jeff Job Agent

Jeff Job
    Storage space is now the deciding factor on what I keep. I purchased a new storage unit last year for all my DVD's & Blu-rays, and resolved to only keep what I can store in it. About 300 films and another 200 discs of TV/documentaries is all it can hold. However, digital storage is another matter...

I went through and rewatched discs I wasn't sure about keeping, asking myself "Would I really watch this again?", and I managed to get rid of about 350 films. Most went to the library or trade, and I really don't miss them.

The only challenge is adding Blu-ray's, as I like to still have the DVD to lend out. The challenge continues....

19. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Very impressive 'Let go.' But that's the process, "Would I really watch this again?" It's not just enough for it to collect dust on a shelf. But I still struggle a bit with every cut. And it's not worth it to trade in to Amazon, anymore. You want to find another 'home' for it with a simpatico recipient.

20. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    Jeff i'm doing the same thing, but am struggling. 1,000+ and a ton of junk. with a baby coming i just see myself going through clunkers anymore like i used to. anyways i'm focused on criterions since they still have great resell value.