What's new

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I don’t think this is correct. I have RCA’s original laserdisc with the 4:3 image, and the subsequent releases appear to be a normal 1.85:1 image from an open-matte source.
In the DVD Definitive Director’s Cut the pool scene is cropped and not as originally shown theatrically. The same was true in the widescreen laserdisc I’m sure (a lady bought some of my discs years ago and that was one of them). I’m not clear what other changes were made since there are evidently three cuts, but only the first and third are available on the latest release. This one particular reframing is not addressed in the Movie-Censorship descriptions. There may be others unaddressed, no way of knowing.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
“That shot” was fully revealing in the original theatrical showing ratio (1.85:1), but later zoomed and/or cropped, and I remember reading about other potential minor changes, but it’s been long enough ago I can’t recall the exact source.

See, that's very interesting, thank you. I was only four years old when it was first released so I never saw it until years later on VHS (eye opening, to say the least.) When I first saw the "widescreen" version on DVD, I had just assumed that Gary's dingle disappeared within the normal widescreen cropping (and was sore disappointed, by the way!) Interesting to know that decisions were made. In any event, it certainly doesn't spoil the movie and this transfer is really really lovely.

By the way, I don't think I really need the Theatrical cut for any purpose (and the way it's stacked over the blu-ray is just irritating and gets in my way) so anybody who would like it is welcome to it, just so long as you understand it won't be in the original box. Let me know and it's yours.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
In the DVD Definitive Director’s Cut the pool scene is cropped and not as originally shown theatrically. The same was true in the widescreen laserdisc I’m sure (a lady bought some of my discs years ago and that was one of them). I’m not clear what other changes were made since there are evidently three cuts, but only the first and third are available on the latest release. This one particular reframing is not addressed in the Movie-Censorship descriptions. There may be others unaddressed, no way of knowing.
As you know, every open-matte image is cropped in projection. I don’t think I have the standard DVD, but the Criterion Blu-ray and this new release appear to show a standard 1.85:1 image as would be projected theatrically. I assume you could raise the center point for a 1:85 home video release to avoid showing something in the bottom of the image if you wished, but that doesn’t appear to have occurred here. I say that based on what I see on the laserdisc, which is definitely revealing.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I saw it theatrically at 1.85:1 and the later 1.85 composition is not the same. It’s not of great importance but one wonders if any other reframing happened along the line in the newer transfers and versions.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The big thing about the Criterion is its ONLY in the BBS box so you're paying for several other movies. Its also just the Director's Cut (at the request of Bogdanovich) and sourced from a third gen element (why the ONeg wasn't around when Sony did their restorations for that Criterion box I do not know).

Otherwise what's kept:

-2009 solo Peter Bogdanovich Audio Commentary

-"...A Look Back"

-"A Conversation with Peter Bogdanovich"

-Location Footage

-Trailers

What's dropped:

-1991 Criterion Laserdisc commentary

-"Picture This" (1990)

-Francois Truffaut Conversation

What's added:

-1972 Theatrical Cut (in 4k)

-1991 Reissue featurette
Yes but you get Head from the Criterion BBS Story blu-ray set :D!
1667932314778.png

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I hope I'm not being indelicate but, once you see it, it's not something you're likely to forget.
I was 19 and impressionable and I saw just about everything mainstream to obscure that was released. What can I say? I can vividly recall the thrill of the roadshow 50s & 60s, and also the disappointment when I detected deletions seeing some of them years later like South Pacific, The Alamo, or general release versions of The Great Race, Camelot, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, where changes were made that ruined the flow and lost entire sequences and musical material. I’m sensitive to changes, in other words.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The big thing about the Criterion is its ONLY in the BBS box so you're paying for several other movies. Its also just the Director's Cut (at the request of Bogdanovich) and sourced from a third gen element (why the ONeg wasn't around when Sony did their restorations for that Criterion box I do not know).

Otherwise what's kept:

-2009 solo Peter Bogdanovich Audio Commentary

-"...A Look Back"

-"A Conversation with Peter Bogdanovich"

-Location Footage

-Trailers

What's dropped:

-1991 Criterion Laserdisc commentary

-"Picture This" (1990)

-Francois Truffaut Conversation

What's added:

-1972 Theatrical Cut (in 4k)

-1991 Reissue featurette
Thank you! Much obliged.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I guess you could also consider Drive, He Said and A Safe Place bonus features since its highly unlikely they'll ever surface outside of that box.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
By the way, I don't think I really need the Theatrical cut for any purpose (and the way it's stacked over the blu-ray is just irritating and gets in my way) so anybody who would like it is welcome to it, just so long as you understand it won't be in the original box. Let me know and it's yours.
I don’t suppose you‘d be willing to part with the From Here to Eternity miniseries bonus disc? :D I’d love to be able to get my hands on that disc as I won’t spend $100 for a box set when I don’t even have a 4K disc player.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I don’t suppose you‘d be willing to part with the From Here to Eternity miniseries bonus disc? :D I’d love to be able to get my hands on that disc as I won’t spend $100 for a box set when I don’t even have a 4K disc player.

I would, but that's one of the main reasons I bought the box set rather than waiting for single releases! I knew it was exclusive and not likely to be released on its own! I'm Sorry! :oops:

(and I got really mad at first because I couldn't find it. This is the first one of these I ever bought and I didn't realize it would be tucked in a little envelope inside the book!)

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Yes, my copy has the same edits you describe. I wish people would leave films alone. Not that what they cut in this particular situation leaves me wanting, but it seems just plain wrong to alter a piece of art. Like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yes, my copy has the same edits you describe. I wish people would leave films alone. Not that what they cut in this particular situation leaves me wanting, but it seems just plain wrong to alter a piece of art. Like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

I hear you, but it hits different when DaVinci paints that mustache himself, doesn't it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Several posts have been removed because personal references towards others is sidetracking this review thread. Any further such posts will result in thread bans.

Gary Dean Thomas

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Dean Thomas
See, that's very interesting, thank you. I was only four years old when it was first released so I never saw it until years later on VHS (eye opening, to say the least.) When I first saw the "widescreen" version on DVD, I had just assumed that Gary's dingle disappeared within the normal widescreen cropping (and was sore disappointed, by the way!) Interesting to know that decisions were made. In any event, it certainly doesn't spoil the movie and this transfer is really really lovely.

Do you still have the theatrical cut disc you offered to give away. I'm looking for a stand alone copy of The Last Picture Show 3 disc edition, but apparently it's still only available on the Columbia Classics Volume 3 collection, and I simply prefer not wasting my money on an expensive box set just to get one that I love.
Thank you!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Do you still have the theatrical cut disc you offered to give away. I'm looking for a stand alone copy of The Last Picture Show 3 disc edition, but apparently it's still only available on the Columbia Classics Volume 3 collection, and I simply prefer not wasting my money on an expensive box set just to get one that I love.
Thank you!

I'm so sorry but I already gave it away to another HTF member!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Thank you!
There's a ton available on eBay.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks for the informative review! I wonder if this will ever be released individually because there aren't that many other films in the V.3 box that I'm interested in...

Sony has licensed a 4K standalone release packaged with Texasville to The Criterion Collection, due out on 11/14/2023.

From the listing on Criterion's website, it looks like only the director's cut will be 4K, but will have an uncompressed mono PCM (?) track as opposed to the lossless DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono on the Columbia Classics release, which also included a separate 4K disc for the theatrical cut. The theatrical cut and Texasville will be on Blu-ray. That is how I am reading the Special Edition Features listing on the website, which may have gone live today. The release is three months out, so anything could change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks