What's new

THE L WORD Showtime series (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If I had a dollar for every time someone said that . . .

The vBulletin engine isn't like Google. It isn't very smart. Here's my standard advice for HTF searches; it got me to this thread in seconds (the search term was "word"):
  1. Set the search speed to "slowest"
  2. Select the option to limit the search to thread titles ("title only")
  3. Whenever possible, search for a single word, preferably the rarest one in a title
  4. Use the wildcard character (*) in case someone put the title in quotes[/list=1]
    M.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my fiancee really likes it - she subscribed to showtime just so she could watch it. so, i catch glimpses here and there.

i watched the pilot and the next episode. while the show has some style, it's *brutally* low on substance. all these characters seem like nothing more then a bunch of sex-crazed women. they're all sleeping with eachother, blah blah blah.

i did catch part of the last ep. so the blonde girl finds out that flash-dance chick is cheating on her ... and what happens? flash-dance chick attacks blonde girl and they start having sex. :rolleyes

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ted, if you'd seen the entire last epsiode, you'd know that's not a complete description of what happened. It wasn't sex so much as combat. And afterward, Tina moved out.

It's very easy to say something's "low on substance" when you haven't seen most of it. The L Word took its time building up some fairly elaborate storylines. You missed most of them.

M.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
point taken michael. i should say i've caught glimpses of most of the ep's....since my finacee was watching them.

still, the characters just seem so "flat" and unreal.

... but to each his own...

todd stone

Screenwriter
after watching the entire season, I would say this past Sundays was the best. *It definitely made up for that god awful Jail episode from the previous week*

Let's hope next season the characters branch out more, especially Jennie. I grow tired of the same storyline with her.

And what's with Alice? That came out of nowhere and almost feels forced....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

You really think so? I've seen it coming for a long time, but I was hoping they'd do something a little more ambiguous.

M.

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Pamela about the music. They have made some good choices which fit in with the mood of the episodes.

Initially, I was concerned that the characters weren't really fleshed out very much, but, over time, there have been some interesting details brought out about each person.

Alice caught me by surprise, as well, but my partner looked at me like I had been sleeping through the whole season!

While some of the characters seem to be "sex-crazed" and "sleeping with each other", (as, I think, Ted stated), in larger groups of lesbian friends, it isn't unusual to see couples breaking up and switching parnters within the same circle of friends. Check out Alice's chart, used so effectively when Tina was trying to explain what had happened between her and Bette. (If you think THIS show is bad for that, wait till QAF starts up............ Alice would need a couple of billboards to make a chart befitting Brian's escapadeds!)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I've got a question regarding the Season One DVD Set. Why are the episodes presented in 4x3 1.33:1? According to the packaging the episodes are supposed to be presented in 16x9 1.78:1. I have my DVD player set correctly, but I'm getting an aspect ratio of 1.33:1. Did Showtime screw up?

Never mind. It was my error, or rather, my DVD player's error. For whatever reason, my old RCA player was presenting the episodes in 1.33:1. Normally, this would be a case of not having the DVD player set to the correct TV display/screen format, but that was not the case. I tried the discs in another DVD player and they were presented correctly in 16x9 1.78:1. I also had this same problem with Elite Entertainment's DVD of "The House on Sorority Row" (1983).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks