What's new

THE IMMORTAL (1970-1971) to hit DVD very soon! (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

VEI have just put up a teaser video regarding the DVD release of THE IMMORTAL (1970-1971)! Like THE MAGICIAN (1973-1974) this was another short-lived series I remember watching on the old Sci-Fi Channel back in 1996.

You know what this means? It means that the rare 1968 Paramount Television "Split Box 1" logo with "Closet Killer 1," as seen on the 1969 90-minute pilot, has finally been saved! That logo was dearly missed from the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE season 4 and MANNIX season 3 DVDs!

~Ben

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I've never seen this show. I'm a Christopher George fan and from what little I can research on the writers and directors of this show, it looks like something I'll give a chance.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I’m trying to recall the original list of planned VEI releases. Once The Immortal does come out, are there any remaining shows besides Longstreet and Evening Shade?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I’m trying to recall the original list of planned VEI releases. Once The Immortal does come out, are there any remaining shows besides Longstreet and Evening Shade?
Longstreet (1971-1972) is the last one from that group of shows produced by Paramount Television as they (VEI) had first announced two years ago that remains to be released.

Other Paramount Television shows from the list you mention they'd released on DVD as of late:
Petrocelli (1974-1976) (December 16, 2016)
Nero Wolfe (1981) (May 19, 2017)
The Magician (1973-1974) (August 25, 2017)
Angie (1979-1980) (September 1, 2017)

~Ben

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Can anyone tell me more about the creative team behind the show? I know it was based on a novel by James Gunn, but who was responsible for developing it into a TV series?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
James Gunn also wrote all the teleplays for the series...so it was very much his baby...some great guest stars like Vic Morrow, Bruce Dern, Lynda Day George, Lee Meriweather, John Dehner, Ralph Bellamy, Sherry Jackson, Carol Lynley and a very young Ed Begley Jr.,...good action with some fine desert cinematography...The series was nominated for the prestigious Science Fiction Hugo Award too...

MV5BODg4NmQyZGEtZDYxNS00ZTA2LTk4MzUtZDk1ZTI0NDkyZjUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkzODA4NzI@._V1_.jpg

MV5BYWNiZmJjOTYtNDQyYS00NDdlLWFkYjYtYWEyNGVlYzY2OGQ4L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjcyMDU4NA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I haven't seen all the episodes of The Immortal, just the pilot and a couple more when Sci-Fi Channel ran it in the 1990s, but it's a fun show. As you can see from the teaser (which is the regular opening for the show -narrated by Paul Frees!), in tone, it's basically a cross between The Fugitive and Mannix, with a bit of earthbound sci-fi built into the premise.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the news. This was pretty high on my "Grail" list (along with Coronet Blue), and I'm sure Longstreet can't be far behind. Now if only someone influential would show some love and attention toward T.H.E. Cat...

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I haven't seen all the episodes of The Immortal, just the pilot and a couple more when Sci-Fi Channel ran it in the 1990s, but it's a fun show. As you can see from the teaser (which is the regular opening for the show -narrated by Paul Frees!), in tone, it's basically a cross between The Fugitive and Mannix, with a bit of earthbound sci-fi built into the premise.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the news. This was pretty high on my "Grail" list (along with Coronet Blue), and I'm sure Longstreet can't be far behind. Now if only someone influential would show some love and attention toward T.H.E. Cat...
The narration also reminds me of Star Trek (The Original Series).

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

You know what this means? It means that the rare 1968 Paramount Television "Split Box 1" logo with "Closet Killer 1," as seen on the 1969 90-minute pilot, has finally been saved! That logo was dearly missed from the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE season 4 and MANNIX season 3 DVDs!

That would be great news!

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew

I'm still patiently waiting for VEI to release the complete series of "Viper", which has been promised several times now but keeps getting held up for some reason. People keep asking for them to release it on the VEI Facebook page but still no dice.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm still patiently waiting for VEI to release the complete series of "Viper", which has been promised several times now but keeps getting held up for some reason. People keep asking for them to release it on the VEI Facebook page but still no dice.
The Viper trademark is owned by Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), so I think it is FCA that may really be calling "no dice" on this just yet.

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.