What's new

DVD Sets You Would Like to See Redone? (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Are there any DVD sets you would like to see re-done, for example, to correct poor picture quality?

One of my solutions would be to re-arrange the episodes included in each set in an order that respects the picture quality and also the original time length of the pilot episode (the pilot episodes of The Young Lawyers and Longstreet were sped-up to fit). In some cases, this would require one extra disc to cover each season's episodes comfortably.

For example: The Young Lawyers (Paramount, 1970-71)

Disc 1:
1. "Pilot" (90 minutes) (October 28, 1969)
2. "Is There a Good Samaritan in the House?" (September 21, 1970)
3. "A Simple Thing Called Justice" (September 28, 1970)

Disc 2:
4. "The Two-Dollar Thing" (October 5, 1970)
5. "The Alienation Kick" (October 12, 1970)
6. "Where's Aaron?" (October 19, 1970)
7. "We May Be Better Strangers" (October 26, 1970)

Disc 3:
8. "The Glass Prison" (November 2, 1970)
9. "The Russell Incident" (November 9, 1970)
10. "At the Edge of the Night" (November 16, 1970)
11. "Are You Running with Me, Jimmy?" (November 23, 1970)

Disc 4:
12. "A Busload of Bishops" (November 30, 1970)
13. "The Legacy of Miles Turner" (December 7, 1970)
14. "Remember Chris Gately?" (December 14, 1970)
15. "MacGillicuddy was Always a Pain In the Neck" (December 21, 1970)

Disc 5:
16. "False Witness" (January 4, 1971)
17. "Legal Maneuver" (January 20, 1971)
18. "The Outspoken Silence" (February 3, 1971)
19. "The Victims" (February 10, 1971)

Disc 6:
20. "The Bradbury War" (February 17, 1971)
21. "And the Walls Came Tumbling Down" (February 24, 1971)
22. "Down at the House of Truth, Visiting" (March 3, 1971)

Disc 7:
23. "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs" (March 10, 1971)
24. "Conrad and the Taxi Squad" (March 17, 1971)
25. "I've Got a Problem" (March 24, 1971)

~Ben

Last edited:

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
DVD sets redone?

In 2020, it will take a miracle for any set to be redone -- period, I'm sorry to say....

Possibly incomplete series on dvd (for example, Paramount's The Beverly Hillbillies) could be redone (well, rearranged) when all the single seasons have been released and they are all repackaged as a complete series set (probably on flipper discs), but I can't see any studio or distributor going back to an already released show and remaster it for dvd.

One that comes to mind is "Make Room For Daddy" with season 5 and 6 only out on dvd and not touched again for nearly 10 years -- I suspect the rest of the shows will either end up on You Tube or behind a paywall on a streaming service -- but, stranger things have happened.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Anything which was done as interlaced with the telecine left in.

For stuff which was originally edited on sd digital videotape in ntsc (or pal) sd resolution (circa late 1980s to early-mid 2000s), I suspect they would have to go back to the original film reels and edit the episodes again in 24 frames per second progressive at a higher resolution (4K or higher these days).

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Any set where original music was cut out should be replaced.

It shouldn't be the DVD/Blu-Ray buyers' problem that the TV guys and the record labels had a hard time cutting a deal to divide up the DVD/Blu-Ray buyers' money.
Right, including stuff like...
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
The Odd Couple (1970 TV series)
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Mork & Mindy
Family Ties
Cheers

But at least one show's DVD set should be re-done to include a banned episode: Hawaii Five-O (1968 TV series). For the season 2 DVD box set, the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" should be reinstated, and before the opening credits a warning should be placed.

The new contents for season 2 should be:
Disc 1:
1. "A Thousand Pardons - You're Dead!" (September 24, 1969)
2. "To Hell with Babe Ruth" (October 1, 1969)
3. "Forty Feet High and It Kills!" (October 8, 1969)
4. "Just Lucky, I Guess" (October 15, 1969)

Disc 2:
5. "Savage Sunday" (October 22, 1969)
6. "A Bullet for McGarrett" (October 29, 1969)
7. "Sweet Terror" (November 5, 1969)
8. "King Kamehameha Blues" (November 12, 1969)

Disc 3:
9. "The Singapore File" (November 19, 1969)
10. "All the King's Horses" (November 26, 1969)
11. "Leopard on the Rock" (December 3, 1969)
12. "The Devil and Mr. Frog" (December 10, 1969)

Disc 4:
13. "The Joker's Wild, Man, Wild!" (December 17, 1969)
14. "Which Way Did They Go?" (December 24, 1969)
15. "Blind Tiger" (December 31, 1969)
16. "Bored, She Hung Herself" (January 7, 1970)

Disc 5:
17. "Run, Johnny, Run" (January 14, 1970)
18. "Killer Bee" (January 21, 1970)
19. "The One with the Gun" (January 28, 1970)

Disc 6:
20. "Cry, Lie" (February 4, 1970)
21. "Most Likely to Murder" (February 11, 1970)
22. "Nightmare Road" (February 18, 1970)

Disc 7:
23. "Three Dead Cows at Makapuu (Part 1)" (February 25, 1970)
24. "Three Dead Cows at Makapuu (Part 2)" (March 4, 1970)
25. "Kiss the Queen Goodbye" (March 11, 1970)

~Ben

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Though nowadays I suspect any restorations being done of old shows/movies to modern 24fps (or 25 fps) progressive at 4K resolutions or higher, is most likely done for streaming services. DVD or bluray releases of such restorations are probably now an "afterthought".

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For example, if ViacomCBS goes to the trouble of doing extensive restorations for Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space 9, most likely the priority will be for whatever Viacom streaming services.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For example, if ViacomCBS goes to the trouble of doing extensive restorations for Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space 9, most likely the priority will be for whatever Viacom streaming services.

In other words, Even if it is rescanned into high Definition, there still won’t be a physical release with said rescanning?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In other words, Even if it is rescanned into high Definition, there still won’t be a release with said rescanning?

Possibly.

(This is purely wild speculation).

At this point if they were to ever re-release such a new restoration on 4Kbluray, I suspect the only way it will ever see the light of day is if it's outsourced to somebody like Criterion as a limited edition.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Every single set from Fox, Universal, and Warners that has flippies. Any not yet done so need SS re-releases.

Then re-release any series that used syndicated cuts, this time using the original masters.
I agree . I have been slowly replacing them as they are reissued as single sided discs , or better yet Blu-ray discs .

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'd be in for a complete series DVD re-release of Gomer Pyle USMC with all episodes uncut to include all scenes containing music.

I'd also be in for a complete series DVD re-release of Barnaby Jones, the current existing set from VEI is a mess with so many edited for syndication versions of the episodes. Someone really dropped the ball with this series when it was being prepped for DVD. The complete series DVD of Cannon has the uncut episodes, why not Barnaby Jones?

These are the two shows I'd most like to see get done properly and be reissued on DVD, if I think of more I'll post again.

Regarding shows that have been released on flipper discs, while I'm not fond of flipper discs the ones I have aren't giving me problems. Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Time Tunnel, The White Shadow, Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, I have all of these on flipper discs and they play fine.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'd be in for a complete series DVD re-release of Gomer Pyle USMC with all episodes uncut to include all scenes containing music.

I'd also be in for a complete series DVD re-release of Barnaby Jones, the current existing set from VEI is a mess with so many edited for syndication versions of the episodes. Someone really dropped the ball with this series when it was being prepped for DVD. The complete series DVD of Cannon has the uncut episodes, why not Barnaby Jones?

These are the two shows I'd most like to see get done properly and be reissued on DVD, if I think of more I'll post again.

Any Paramount series would have to re-released through either Shout Factory or Time Life in order to gain music clearances.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
No redoings for me, even the ones with flippers. Get complete series sets of new stuff. (St. Elsewhere is what I want, but there others that other people are after, such as The Defenders -- a series I never cared for -- season 2 to the finish.)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Possibly.

(This is purely wild speculation).

At this point if they were to ever re-release such a new restoration on 4Kbluray, I suspect the only way it will ever see the light of day is if it's outsourced to somebody like Criterion as a limited edition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Star Trek: The Next Generation use video effects that were generated at the resolution of the day (maybe SD, maybe HD, but not UHD/4K)?

Would that be an issue for these series?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Any Paramount series would have to re-released through either Shout Factory or Time Life in order to gain music clearances.
Yes, and I think either one of these two you mention should have been responsible for getting the licenses to these series:
The Odd Couple
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Mork & Mindy
Family Ties
Cheers

I would still like for them to do the following others:
Makin' It (1979)
Call to Glory (1984-85)
Brooklyn Bridge (1991-93)

~Ben

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Star Trek: The Next Generation use video effects that were generated at the resolution of the day (maybe SD, maybe HD, but not UHD/4K)?

Would that be an issue for these series?

IIRC, the ST:TNG blurays re-did all the special effects again to look almost just like the original ones.

For really old original special effects, the question is whether they still have the original computer files and whether they are adequate or look bad in higher resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks