What's new

The Giant Gila Monster & The Killer Shrews (1959) Double Feature Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There's a nice conversation aboiut this upcoming release on the Classic Horror forum board. This seems to be the first release being offered by Film Masters, a spin off from Film Detective. I look forward to seeing it and hope that they nail it!!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
There's a nice conversation aboiut this upcoming release on the Classic Horror forum board. This seems to be the first release being offered by Film Masters, a spin off from Film Detective. I look forward to seeing it and hope that they nail it!!
Hopefully they had decent prints to work with and remaster them. Both films are fun and have tons of releases unfortunately all very poor.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hopefully they had decent prints to work with and remaster them. Both films are fun and have tons of releases unfortunately all very poor.
Agreed, many of these have been floating around in such poor condition that not even "Colorization" yould help them, LOL!!! In the other forum it goes into more detail...but they seem a bit elusive in thier discriptions of element sources, so for me that does raise a red flag.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There are a couple of restorations coming from Aolis Ent. Germany. The Trollenberg Terror aka The Crawling Eye, slated for 5/19 with 3 limited edition sleeves and one for mid June Attack of the Giant Leeches!! Both will be BD/DVD sets.

Attachments

• IMG_6357.jpeg
    IMG_6357.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Katakomben_Cover.jpg
    Katakomben_Cover.jpg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 24

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
There are a couple of restorations coming from Aolis Ent. Germany. The Trollenberg Terror aka The Crawling Eye, slated for 5/19 with 3 limited edition sleeves and one for mid June Attack of the Giant Leeches!! Both will be BD/DVD sets.
The Giant Leeches was available a few weeks ago. I got a copy back in late March. Looks good, but for some reason the title is shown in German even with the English language version.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
An up coming release by the same crew that is dropping the Giant Gila Monster in July is going to be offeing another cup full of Corman with the October 24th release of Beast from the Haunted Cave.

Attachments

• 6950cave53.jpg
    6950cave53.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 23

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My copy arrived today - just about to watch The Giant Gila Monster.

So far I'm impressed as each movie is on its own disc and there's a thick booklet with half the pages devoted to each film. I really expected both to be on a single disc. The case indicates The Killer Shrews is from a restored HD print. Both films have a 1.85:1 (theatrical) and 1.33:1 (TV format - doesn't say if it's a different cut though) version. It's also region free (case indicates A, B, C).

I read the essay on The Giant Gila Monster - it's interesting.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Watched both - back to back. The transfers are very, very good with very good audio. Outside a few instances of scenes looking a bit washed out (and not bad - also likely that way when first shown) the contrast is good. I was more entertained by the films than ever - and I blame the significantly improved picture for that.

I didn't get around to reading the essay on The Killer Shrews but will later today. There are also a couple of special featurs I didn't watch/listen to but will do so after October (horror movie month...). One is a audio interview with Don Sullivan that runs a bit over 1 1/2 hours and the other is a short documentary on Ray Kellogg, running around 16 minutes. I also didn't check the 1.33:1 (TV) versions of the films - they look so good in their theatrical versions that I really don't feel the need/desire to do so. If I read somewhere that they are actually alternate cuts of the films then I'll absolutely give them a viewing.

My *only* complaint is they loop the respective film's title music on the menu (at least it's not louder than the film). I just don't like that practice and prefer a silent menu. And that's a very minor thing, certainly not enough to make me avoid any future releases from Film Masters.

I'm impressed. So much so that I'll be keeping the other pre-orders I have for upcoming double-features from Film Masters. If those are anywhere close to being as good as these I'll be a supporter for as long as they can keep releases coming.

Who'd have ever thought we'd be seeing these old "B" (and below) SF/Horror films with such good prints and physical releases?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks