What's new

The Game: How much did it cost? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Considering Micahel Douglas supposedly had hundreds of millions of dollars, and HE was shocked by the sticker price, what do you think it was? $500,000, $1 million?
Jeff Kleist

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I believe the negative cost was $50 million. Prints and advertising probably another $20 million for a total of around $70 million. I remember that it was the most expensive Polygram film ever at the time (although I think What Dreams May Come eventually cost more) and was their first attempt to compete in the same big-budget action league as the major studios. Unfortunately for them it wasn't a big hit, although it wasn't a flop either, making about $48 million domestic and about $61 million foreign. So it probably turned a small profit once video and TV rights were accounted for.
- Guy

Brian E

Screenwriter
Guy, I pretty sure Jeff is asking what "The Game" from the movie cost. Not what the movie cost.
wink.gif

------------------
-Brian
http://www.brianeberling.com/collection.html

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't think all that destruction and slight-of-hand could be accomplished for only $1 million. I'd say at least $5 million.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess even more. One of the coolest things about it is that he just reacts without telling the audience the actual amount.
Using your imagination works better in this case than any amount a screenwriter could have devised. Just think about all the people they must have had working for them!
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
The effects budget from the movie would be a good starting point. They basically did all those things in the movie, only they didn't have to film, pay big name actors, edit or do publicity and media.
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, then the question begs. Did they just redirect his phone? Or did they have to pay off the people at the bank and all of that? That would signifigantly affect the final cost

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Surely they just tapped into his call. I would think that would be easier than trying to get bank employees to lie to one of their biggest clients about the state of his accounts.
GREAT movie, by the way. It sucked me in from the start. It's like "A Christmas Carol" from Hell. What a great ending.

Brian_J

Second Unit
$2.5MM-4MM.
I like the film but its tough to believe...for example, what are the odds he will jump off the building in that spot and then land in the middle of the glass instead of say a couple of feet to the left and get sliced in half by steel beams? What is this company's risk policy like?
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Guy,
And remember, it was originally supposed to be Bernard Shaw, but CNN wouldn't let David Fincher use him or CNN in the movie, hence, the fictional news channel. :)
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Brent,
The game is called "Majestic" and it costs 9.95 a month. I'm playing it, and it's not bad. No hot waitresses have spilled soup on me yet, though.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks