The Fugitive...Digital Track Issues

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by DFurr, Jan 10, 2011.

1. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit

Don
    I hope this the correct forum to post in. If not maybe a mod will move it.

I ran a Blu Ray of the Harrision Ford flix "The Fugitive" this afternoon. The Dolby digital track was NOTHING like the 35mm DD print that I've run in the past. Has anyone else experienced problems screening this title? Separation was spot on but the Sub track sucked....big time. Any ideas? I also remember a few months ago screening a Blu Ray of "Twister" and we noticed the Dolby track was very low and un-impressive where as the 35mm print was kick-ass. What's going on with some of these Blu Rays????

Don

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Um, are you playing your blu-rays through the exact same sound system that you used for 35mm? If not I'd say your blu-ray sound system isn't as good or is not set up correctly. Even though the DD track on the blu-ray isn't lossless, it's still at a higher bit-rate than what would have been on a 35mm print, and my blu-ray sounds fantastic.

3. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit

Don
    Yep Mark....the same Dolby CP-500 cinema processor I use for 35mm and those titles are the ONLY two I've run that sounded like crap. I don't have any ideas. I just think I've got a pair of questionable disc.

4. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    Oh....and speaking of which, Warner should re-issue this title. The current Blu-Ray's visuals leave much to be desired. It resembles an upscaled DVD.

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

AMEN Brutha!

6. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

duplicate post

7. James Luckard

I think that's basically what it is, I read one review online that said it's not actually 1080p, it was mistakenly done at a lower resolution. I don't have the technology to check, but it makes sense given all the complaints about picture quality.

8. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there was a first edition released of the fugitive that was 1080I. but then re-released as 1080P. I picked up a copy of the remastered one at best buy last week. it was on sale for 10 bucks.

Jacob

9. James Luckard

How can you tell the difference? On the packaging? I'm assuming the first one is incorrectly labeled 1080p

10. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit

Don
    Would a 1080I version have a less desirable sound track than a 1080P? On the NexFlix Blu Ray I ran the other night I had a sub channel working but it was simply useless as special effects sub.

11. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    very good question.

here is a link with some info.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/88314-fugitive-silent-re-repressing-vc-1-instead-mpeg-2-a.html

Jacob

12. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit

Don
    Thanks for that link Jacob. I guess I'm all confused with this home theatre system "lingo"...too many abbreviations ......LOL. I'm a total commercial cinema guy who's experience is all with Dolby Digital processors, DTS cinema processors, SDDS, and 4 track magnetic 35mm film.

I run 35mm in my home theatre with a Dolby Digital CP-500 processor. The Blu Ray player goes into the rear of the processor through a 25 pin connector and is brought up on one of my Format buttons. At this point I've got to assume that the Fugitive Blu Ray is a NON desirable disc to own. Something is wrong with the audio track.