What's new

Last of the Dogmen (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
While a rarely post anymore there rare instances of a topic that has inspired me to share a thought or refection. Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray edition of Last of the Dogmen is such a topic. As I have not seen a thread for this recent release from Kino Lorber (surprisingly), I will share a post I made elsewhere (that also did not have a thread for this disc).

Last of the Dogman became a personal favorite, a film that I "discovered" on home video as have been so many. Such is the nature of a movie collector. Though many lesser films have seen their fortunes enhanced with the advent of the Blu-ray format (and even UHD), many others have been lost to studio ambivalence and copyright purgatory. I suspect that has been the issue with this criminally underappreciated film.

Last seen in 2000 in a badly over-processed non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD from HBO Home Video, that disc was still enough to kindle a fondness for this beautifully photographed film, as well as a desire to see it treated properly on home video. It only took 22 years.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray is, to a fan of this film, manna from heaven. KL's marketing blurb states, "newly restored from a 4K scan of the original camera negative - color graded and approved by director Tab Murphy and cinematographer Karl Walter Lindenlaub". This disc easily lives up to that hype. The image is perfectly stable with all the attributes expected of a modern Blu-ray transfer. Colors appear spot-on and contrast and brightness are as good as the format allows giving the image a very natural, filmic look. Sharpness and detail are near perfect without any hint of digital over-processing. Film grain is light and looks as one should expect from a 35mm widescreen Panavision negative.

The disc offers four audio options, though none are noted on the packaging. The original 2-channel Dolby Stereo by way of DTS-HD Master encoding is the default audio. There is also a 5.1 DTS-HD MA track included. Additionally. the film has been shown with a narration by Wilford Brimley. This audio is included in both 2.0 and 5.1 options, also DTS-HD MA. My preference is to let the film tell the story without Mr. Brimley's able assistance. I found the 2.0 track strong with very good clarity. Dialog is well balanced and the very fine score lacks any stridency or harshness.

Minimal bonus material is highlighted by a commentary track with Writer/Director Tab Murphy and Producer Joel B. Michaels. A theatrical trailer and TV spots are also included.

It feels like I've waited 20 years for this disc. That said, I spent a very satisfying 2 hours this afternoon.

Robert "Obi" George

Video reference:
LG OLED83C1 (calibrated)
Panasonic DP-UB820

EDIT: If you have trouble finding this disc at the usual discounters, I gave up on Amazon and ordered directly from Kino Lorber's website. Price difference is only a couple bucks but shipping is...more. This one is worth it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes, it was greatly anticipated by many; and recently discussed, but it's never a bad thing to rejoice the arrival of such a wonderfully presented story and the love that was done to restore this highly apperciated title.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
While a rarely post anymore there rare instances of a topic that has inspired me to share a thought or refection. Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray edition of Last of the Dogmen is such a topic. As I have not seen a thread for this recent release from Kino Lorber (surprisingly), I will share a post I made elsewhere (that also did not have a thread for this disc).

Last of the Dogman became a personal favorite, a film that I "discovered" on home video as have been so many. Such is the nature of a movie collector. Though many lesser films have seen their fortunes enhanced with the advent of the Blu-ray format (and even UHD), many others have been lost to studio ambivalence and copyright purgatory. I suspect that has been the issue with this criminally underappreciated film.

Last seen in 2000 in a badly over-processed non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD from HBO Home Video, that disc was still enough to kindle a fondness for this beautifully photographed film, as well as a desire to see it treated properly on home video. It only took 22 years.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray is, to a fan of this film, manna from heaven. KL's marketing blurb states, "newly restored from a 4K scan of the original camera negative - color graded and approved by director Tab Murphy and cinematographer Karl Walter Lindenlaub". This disc easily lives up to that hype. The image is perfectly stable with all the attributes expected of a modern Blu-ray transfer. Colors appear spot-on and contrast and brightness are as good as the format allows giving the image a very natural, filmic look. Sharpness and detail are near perfect without any hint of digital over-processing. Film grain is light and looks as one should expect from a 35mm widescreen Panavision negative.

The disc offers four audio options, though none are noted on the packaging. The original 2-channel Dolby Stereo by way of DTS-HD Master encoding is the default audio. There is also a 5.1 DTS-HD MA track included. Additionally. the film has been shown with a narration by Wilford Brimley. This audio is included in both 2.0 and 5.1 options, also DTS-HD MA. My preference is to let the film tell the story without Mr. Brimley's able assistance. I found the 2.0 track strong with very good clarity. Dialog is well balanced and the very fine score lacks any stridency or harshness.

Minimal bonus material is highlighted by a commentary track with Writer/Director Tab Murphy and Producer Joel B. Michaels. A theatrical trailer and TV spots are also included.

It feels like I've waited 20 years for this disc. That said, I spent a very satisfying 2 hours this afternoon.

Robert "Obi" George

Video reference:
LG OLED83C1 (calibrated)
Panasonic DP-UB820

EDIT: If you have trouble finding this disc at the usual discounters, I gave up on Amazon and ordered directly from Kino Lorber's website. Price difference is only a couple bucks but shipping is...more. This one is worth it.

Good to see you here, Robert. I trust all is well with you.

It's also a pleasure to read your thoughts. You were always an excellent reviewer. I miss those days.

I am going to seek this out on digital for the moment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good to see you here, Robert. I trust all is well with you.

It's also a pleasure to read your thoughts. You were always an excellent reviewer. I miss those days.

I am going to seek this out on digital for the moment.
I noticed that iTunes added a new HD digital with an acknowledgement to Kino Lorber and 2022. My thoughts on this movie are below. I'm finally getting around to watching my Kino Blu-ray this morning.

Last of the Dogmen

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert "Obi" George

Video reference:
LG OLED83C1 (calibrated)
Panasonic DP-UB820

Wow! Obi, your post was dead on. More to come when I finish the movie. It's like watching it for the first time again in a movie theater back in Bloomington, Indiana because of the excellent video quality and playing it without the Brimley narration.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This was a blind buy purchase, and I was grateful for Robert "Obi" George posting his thoughts as it made me more confident on my decision to purchase it. I was debating whether or not I should watch it first with the Brimley narration or without. You have convinced me to watch it without the narration.
I'm behind in my viewing but it is in the pile to be seen soon.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This was a blind buy purchase, and I was grateful for Robert "Obi" George posting his thoughts as it made me more confident on my decision to purchase it. I was debating whether or not I should watch it first with the Brimley narration or without. You have convinced me to watch it without the narration.
For me, I enjoyed the Wilfred Brimly's (western storyteller) narration. It sort of gives it a more "legend" feel to the movie, as if in memory, and the hope of the narrator. This movie is great either way, the narration, for me, just gives it a little bit if a different feel. I appreciate that Kino offered both in the BD, Thanks Kino!!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For me, I enjoyed the Wilfred Brimly's (western storyteller) narration. It sort of gives it a more "legend" feel to the movie, as if my memory and the hope of the narrator. This movie is great either way, the narration, for me, just gives it a little bit if a different feel. I appreciate that Kino offered both in the BD, Thanks Kino!!
I prefer watching it with the narration. However, I didn't today because the last time I watched it without the narration was during its theatrical run back in 1995. More to come about this fine Blu-ray later on today.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow! Obi, your post was dead on. More to come when I finish the movie. It's like watching it for the first time again in a movie theater back in Bloomington, Indiana because of the excellent video quality and playing it without the Brimley narration.
IMO, this is one of Kino's best Blu-ray releases. It is a significant improvement over the 2000 DVD that I last viewed on November 26th. Again, the video presentation is so good, it's like watching the movie for the first time. I haven't listened to the audio commentary by the director and producer yet. However, it was a nice move by Kino to provide 2.0 and 5.1 audio tracks in which you can turn "on" or "off" Wilford Brimley's narration. This disc also gives you the option of just having the subtitles turned "on" or "off" for Brimley's narration. I watched the disc with the 2.0 track without Brimley's narration, audio and subtitled wise. I did have the subtitles turned "on" for the movie's original dialogue.

Since 1995, I've always loved this movie. I will say the first half of the movie is better than the second half, but it is still a fine little film with some great outdoor cinematography. Thank you Kino for doing this Blu-ray release right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks