What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Family Guy New Season (2005) Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Nobody wants the pop culture references to stop.

It is Family Guy's strongest draw.

The point that is being made is that when these pop
references are being over-used to compensate for a
poorly written episode that isn't as funny as those in
the first two seasons, then the jokes wear thin fast.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ah, I see what your saying now.

Well, I guess i'm just not all that demanding of Family Guy, I just sit back and watch and if I laugh on at least three occasions during an ep, it's a winner. Rarely does an ep totally fail to make me laugh.

And, the Poltergeist ep wasn't a rip off, in order to be a rip off it needs to be unaware of what it's referrancing, in this case they knew what movie they were targeting and thus it was a parody/homage, not a rip off.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I remember that episode and from what I recall, Peter said something negative about FOX to which Lois replied "Oh Peter, don't say that!" and that's when Peter said "Who cares, what are they gonna do, cut the budget?" and that when he walked off all jump-cut-like.

SP was never mentioned or referranced in any way, I don't think that was a SP crack.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you Ron. I was just watching a few older epsiodes and I agree that when the main part of the episode is strong, the 'cut aways' are funnier because they seem more random and out of place.

Without that strong plot, you don't get caught up in the story - and when you don't get caught up in the story, you don't find it so jarring when they cut away to something random.

Because that's what seems to make me laugh the most.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That "I Dream of Jeannie" bit was just too funny! :laugh:

Also, the robbers filing charges of sexual harassment against Meg.

Everybody spit on Meg! :laugh:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Did anybody watch the simpsons tonight? With Lisa teaching Groundskeeper willy how to be a gentleman, and how to pronounce something and they suddenly broke into song?

How OBVIOUS was that ripoff to Stewie teaching that british girl how to say "The Life of the Wife was ended by the Knife"?! Even the rhythm/meter of the phrase was pretty much the same as in Family guy's, and even the structure of the song they sang.

I wonder if it was intentionally that obvious.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Come on, you CAN'T think that song was created for "Family Guy". It's from "My Fair Lady".

"The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" are just the most recent in several things to draw inspiration from "MFL", which in turn was inspired by "Pygmalion".

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i wonder how many people got the panic room reference from the david fincher film =).

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone else feel slightly gypped that next week's big "90-minute season finale" is just a broadcast of the "Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story" DVD?

They're not going to repeat that on the Vol. 4 DVD release, are they?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeeaaaah, I'm 20. So, no, I did not know that was from my fair lady, my mistake. :rolleyes

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
OMG! That IS it! I was watching the preview and thinking "Where have I seen this before???" - Damn! That kind of sucks.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Does anyone think that the "90-minute" season finale of Family Guy will have any different or new scenes that aren't on the DVD, besides the bleeps for language? Is it worth watching if you own the Stewie movie?

Beau

Supporting Actor
I remember reading they were going to show the movie on tv sometime ago, though I thought they were going to be doing it sooner than this and completely forgot about it. I don't think it's going to be any longer, in fact I think it's going to be shorter, without all that primere stuff before and after the main "movie".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks