What's new

The Expanse - Sixth and Final Season (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that the sixth (and sadly final) season of The Expanse returns on Amazon Prime on Friday, December 10th. This will be a six episode season with the finale set to air on January 14th, 2022. Really anticipating the return of this series.

The Expanse Season 6 - Official Trailer:

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they are really completely ruling out adapting the other books, just that they won't be anytime soon.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they are really completely ruling out adapting the other books, just that they won't be anytime soon.

Well, I certainly would like to see more stories in this 'universe.' I mostly posted it as the final season because that is how Amazon has been promoting season six.

It does raise the question (and I am getting way ahead of myself) if there was a long gap in production would they be able to reunite the cast, or would they adapt the books to new characters and settings? The ring certainly opens up lots of storytelling potential.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It is a good start to the season. After seeing the episode be sure to use the Amazon Prime X-Ray and see the bonus content. If this first episode is some to go by, they will have a short ~ 5 minute mini-episode to go alongside each one. The series of mini-episodes is titled "One Ship." Episode one was "Ankawala" and it takes place on Drummer's ship.

There is also a lot of trivia about the episode which may be of interest.

Check out this interview in Gizmodo - they explain why there are only 6 episodes this season and they also give more details about these bonus mini-episodes.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched the first episode earlier this evening. Agree, really good start to the season. Enjoyed the plot development dealing with understanding how Marcos is targeting the Inners and steps to stop it. Based on some of the trailers I am guessing that Bobbi will be flying out to the belt to join the crew of the Rocinate.

I did not check out the bonus content, but will give that a look the next time I am on the platform.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just a couple of more thoughts...

Finally, after season five an episode where Naomi Nagata isn't crying. I like the character and the actress, but in season five it seemed like every episode she was crying. Crying because she was sad, crying because she was angry, crying because she was frustrated, crying because she was angry and frustrated, etc., etc. :)

On the other hand, if she keeps popping off to Amos she might have a good reason to cry. :)

When she was first introduced, the character of Camina Drummer, played by Cara Gee, was pretty one dimensional; but between the series' writing and Gee's acting, she has really developed into one of the more complex characters in the series and someone whose scenes I invariably enjoy. I liked the scene where she had to make a crew decision in S06E01.

Even though this is a relatively short season (I read the linked Gizmodo article - Thanks Neil!) I am very happy it is back.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched the first episode, but cannot find the mini episode. I can bring up the Prime X-ray feature, but there are no episodes listed. It just has items such as scenes, characters, trivia, etc.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode, but cannot find the mini episode. I can bring up the Prime X-ray feature, but there are no episodes listed. It just has items such as scenes, characters, trivia, etc.

The bonus material "One Ship" / Episode 1 is available via web browser, but I could not access it via my Xfinity box on my main HT. No idea whether the Amazon 'Fire" components can get there or not. Weird. (??)

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The bonus material "One Ship" / Episode 1 is available via web browser, but I could not access it via my Xfinity box on my main HT. No idea whether the Amazon 'Fire" components can get there or not. Weird. (??)

- Walter.
I was attempting to access it via my Roku without luck. I did not try via my Apple TV 4K.

Why hide the extras in such a manner? It's not cute or clever, but just annoying.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming that there are some hardware / software limitations on some platforms that access Prime and that the platform has a 'base' functionality and that more 'capable' devices have extra bells and whistles, and you need the 'bells and whistles' to access this bonus material.

Or perhaps it was simply an error during the content creation that slipped past QA.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
By the way, they are doing an aftershow again on youtube. I haven't watched the first one yet.

Edit: Now I have. Lots of good discussion.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Solid second episode...

Tensions have been running a bit high on the good ship Rocinate. I believe after the success of their mission the new crew will begin bonding and the morale of the ship will improve. Typically great FX work in episode two. I particularly enjoyed some of the ship instrumentation and the Data Core 3D visualization. Really impressive. The entire sequence involving the Azure Dragon was quite gripping. I don't think I am still clear on how 'Peaches' saved Bobbi during the boarding sequence as I had a difficult time identifying the threat given the speed of that sequence.

Marcos is aware of the danger from the Inners, but I don't think he is prepared for an alliance between Camina and Gareth. A two front war may be his undoing.

Given the constraints of a six episode season I am not sure how much time will be spent on Locania and will there be any resolution to that storyline? I haven't read the novels, obviously.

I am uncertain about the physics of the chase down between the Rocinate and the Azure Dragon, some of the movements seemed to defy inertia, but they did show the crew undergoing high-G so perhaps it was credible? ( Trig based physics is about as far as I got in terms of that branch of science, so I am operating at something of a disadvantage. :) )

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Watched the first episode earlier this evening. Agree, really good start to the season. Enjoyed the plot development dealing with understanding how Marcos is targeting the Inners and steps to stop it. Based on some of the trailers I am guessing that Bobbi will be flying out to the belt to join the crew of the Rocinate.
Good guess.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is a good start to the season. After seeing the episode be sure to use the Amazon Prime X-Ray and see the bonus content. If this first episode is some to go by, they will have a short ~ 5 minute mini-episode to go alongside each one. The series of mini-episodes is titled "One Ship." Episode one was "Ankawala" and it takes place on Drummer's ship.

There is also a lot of trivia about the episode which may be of interest.

Check out this interview in Gizmodo - they explain why there are only 6 episodes this season and they also give more details about these bonus mini-episodes.
Where are the bonus episodes? I can‘t find them in Amazon App or in X-Ray or on YouTube. Confused by Amazon having super secret hidden episodes they’re not telling anyone about or letting anyone find.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Where are the bonus episodes? I can‘t find them in Amazon App or in X-Ray or on YouTube. Confused by Amazon having super secret hidden episodes they’re not telling anyone about or letting anyone find.
They are in X-Ray with the rest of the bonus features like the gallery and cast photos as such. Depending on your device they may be harder to find than others. This article may help.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I found them in the iPad app. They’re inexplicably not in the AppleTV app.
They are not on the Roku app, either. I haven't bothered looking for them on my PC or the Amazon app on my Android phone. Just another example of why Amazon's Prime Video service is the worst design in the industry.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s a weird na bad decision. This should be bonus material listed in line with episodes and trailers and recaps. Hiding bonus episodes in X-Ray makes no sense except as an effort to promote X-Ray.

Which only works if X-Ray, you know, works on all the platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks