What's new

THE DONNA REED SHOW: SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg2356 /t/323338/the-donna-reed-show-season-5#post_3980184
I was just kidding Ron about them being on a ride at an amusement park! This is why I had put J/K after my comment. In my mind when I saw this DVD Cover, I just thought that it had looked as if they were on some type of a ride.

Don't do that to me! It took me years to figure out what LOL means.
I liked your descriptions of the season 5 episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing them!
The Chinese Horse and House on the Hill especially sound intriguing!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
LOL- Ron!! :D
I was just thinking that I didn't mention the episode entitled, "The Handy Man" from this 'Fifth Season' of "The Donna Reed Show." A very well done and fun episode with Guest Star- Doodles Weaver. I had always looked forward to watching this particular episode! Mary is just fuming in this story line with this so called Handyman treating her like she is a little girl, and even at one point suggests with her fist and facial features that she'd just love to punch him right in the nose! What this man does to the Stone's House is simply a crime!! I also liked the episode which I thought was sort of an eyeopener about women being involved in politics when they have a very needy family at home which was entitled, "A Woman's Place" where Donna is nominated to run for Town Council. At one point in a dream sequence, Alex envisions himself as a candidate's husband all the way up to the White House becoming First Man. LOL.. Very interesting, plus quite an amusing episode!!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I thought people might be interested in reading this great review that was written very recently by Tante Maren "Maren" for Amazon.com in regards to the Season 5 (DVD) Set release of "The Donna Reed Show."
5.0 out of 5 stars New Daughter+New Neighbors+New Contract=Golden Globe For Season 5!, September 26, 2012
By
Tante Maren "Maren"
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Donna Reed Show: Season 5 (DVD)
With daughter Mary gone off to college, Donna Reed wanted this Season 5 to be the end of The Donna Reed Show. In the Spring of 1963, near the season's end, Donna decided that the work schedule was too long and felt Shelley Fabares' absence would be noticeably missed by audiences, and that the show would drop in the ratings. Luckily for us Donna Reed Show fans, ABC executives felt differently about the show and offered Donna the most lucrative contract that she couldn't turn down. Donna Reed accepted the contract which gave her less episodes per season, meaning a shorter work schedule, which is something she really wanted. Donna was also given a fantastic salary and more creative power over the show's episodes as well. The ABC executives were right in seeing The Donna Reed Show as still being very popular, even with Shelley Fabares' absence, as renewing Donna Reed's contract actually kept the ever-popular Donna Reed Show going on for another 3 seasons.
ABC executives replaced daughter Mary Stone with a new little daughter for Alex and Donna- Trisha. Trisha is an orphan who follows the Stone family home from the park, where she watches them and decides she wants to be a part of their family. Trisha's Uncle can see how much the Stone's love his niece, and let's them legally adopt her. Trisha is real life sister to Paul Petersen- Patty Petersen. In the 60's, I recall seeing these shows as a little girl, and couldn't help but wonder what are the odds of the Stone family finding a new daughter who is the spitting image of their son Jeff. When I got older and found out they were real life brother and sister, I knew I already knew that as a little girl, as what are the odds of finding a girl who looks more like son Jeff than his own sister Mary? That part of the show was always something to think about as a viewer back then. Daughter Mary (Shelley Fabares) still made a few shows this season, so she wasn't completely missed, and new daughter Trisha was so popular, she continued on until the last Season 8.
Besides a new contract and new daughter for The Donna Reed Show in 1963, the Stone family get new next door neighbors as well. Alex's colleague Dr. Dave Kelsey and his wife Midge find living with in-laws is too suffocating and buy the house next door to the Stone's. Dr. Dave Kelsey played by Bob Crane would be their neighbor until he got his own show Hogan's Heroes in 1965, remaining with the show through seasons 6 and 7. His wife Midge, played by Ann McCrea, would become Donna's best friend, and Midge would remain with the show until the end through season 8, even with the absence of husband Dr. Dave missing in the last season. With new neighbors Dr. Dave Kelsey and wife Midge, a new adopted daughter Trisha, a new contract for Donna Reed and college daughter Mary still in a few episodes, new life came into the show this Season 5 and it's popularity was as high as ever. On March 5, 1963, Donna Reed was awarded The Golden Globe Award for The Best TV Star- Female, showing that ABC executives were right in knowing to talk Donna Reed into not ending the show this season 5 and to go on yet another 3 seasons.
The show as always, had some great guest stars this season, featuring Harvey Korman, Candy Moore, Paul Winchell, Tony Owen Jr. (Donna Reed's real life son), Bob Crane, Doodles Weaver, Ann McCrea, Don Drysdale and wife Ginger Drysdale and more. In Episode 6, My Dad, son Jeff sings his hit song to dad Alex titled My Dad. This song was a hit, not on the level as Shelley Fabares' mega hit from last Season 4 Johnny Angel, but Paul Petersen fans loved it, and you will too! Shelley Fabares also sings her B-Side song BIG STAR (A-Side was her Colpix hit TELEPHONE-Won't You Ring?)in Episode 9 titled Big Star. As always, MPI, who include fantastic extra's get a HUGE THANK YOU!, as does the Estate Of Donna Reed, and her wonderful daughter Mary Owen and son Tony Owen Jr., who work tirelessly to get the rights to their mother's shows and put them on dvd for us fans. THANK YOU A MILLION MPI and especially Donna's children!!! (And I'm keeping all my fingers crossed for the Estate Of Donna Reed to acquire the rights to give us fans the remainder of the shows Seasons 6, 7 and 8!)
Here are the episodes from Season 5:
01.) 09/20/1962 MISTER NICE GUY- Donna is suspicious of Jeff's too nice act.
02.) 09/27/1962 MRS. STONE AND DOCTOR HYDE- Donna fills in as Alex's nurse and sees another side of him.
03.) 10/04/1962 TO BE A BOY- Jeff decides on using his money for dating or boat building.
04.) 10/11/1962 WHO NEEDS GLASSES?- Jeff finds glasses give distinction. (Harvey Korman, Candy Moore guest)
05.) 10/18/1962 MARY, MARY QUITE CONTRARY- Mary moves away to a college dorm.
06.) 10/25/1962 MY DAD- Jeff pays tribute to his dad with a song.
07.) 11/01/1962 FINE FEATHERS- Jeff thinks he found a rare bird. (Harvey Korman guests)
08.) 11/08/1962 REBEL WITH A CAUSE- Donna rebels about being a typical housewife.
09.) 11/15/1962 BIG STAR- Mary helps friend Clay overcome shyness.
10.) 11/22/1962 MAN TO MAN- Is Jeff camping with Dad to be with Dad or a girl?
11.) 11/29/1962 THE BABY BUGGY- Appreciation is shown for a lifelong obstetrician in the community- Dr. Harriet Robey.
12.) 12/06/1962 THE MAKEOVER MAN- Mary plays Professor Higgins to a male Eliza Doolittle.
13.) 12/13/1962 THE WINNING TICKET- Jeff finds a raffle ticket that wins a car.
14.) 12/20/1962 THE SOFT TOUCH- Alex and Jeff need their loans repaid.
15.) 12/27/1962 JEFF STANDS ALONE- Jeff tries to find out if there is such a thing as a free life.
16.) 01/03/1963 JUST A LITTLE WEDDING- Mary's friend Marsha wants a small wedding, but her mother has other ideas.
17.) 01/10/1963 A WOMAN'S PLACE- Alex is against Donna running for city council.
18.) 01/17/1963 THE CHINESE HORSE- Mystery surrounds Donna buying a statue. (Paul Winchell guests)
19.) 01/24/1963 THE NEW LOOK- Mary wants to change her pristine image.
20.) 01/31/1963 A WAY OF HER OWN- Orphan Trisha wants to be a part of the Stone Family. (Patty Petersen debuts)
21.) 02/07/1963 THREE IS A FAMILY- Mary finds out what being a big sister is.
22.) 02/14/1963 BIG SIXTEEN- Jeff celebrates his birthday fighting with his girlfriend.
23.) 02/21/1963 PIONEER WOMAN- Donna roughs it camping. (Tony Owen Jr.-Donna's real life son guests)
24.) 02/28/1963 THE HOUSE ON THE HILL- Donna pays a visit to a woman living in a creepy old mansion.
25.) 03/07/1963 WHERE THE STONES ARE- Mary doesn't know her parents are chaperoning her on spring break.
26.) 03/14/1963 THE TWO DOCTOR'S STONE- Dr. Kelsey convinces Donna that Trisha's eating bananas doesn't mean she's sick. (Bob Crane debuts)
27.) 03/21/1963 EVERYWHERE THAT MARY GOES- Mary must shake a boy who attaches himself to her at college.
28.) 03/28/1963 THE HANDY MAN- Donna helps a handy man and ice cream man switch jobs. (Doodles Weaver guests)
29.) 04/04/1963 FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS- Alex's colleague Dr. Kelsey and wife move next door. (Bob Crane, Ann McCrea guest)
30.) 04/11/1963 BOYS AND GIRLS- Jeff's and Mary's dates would rather date each other.
31.) 04/18/1963 ALL THOSE DREAMS- When Jeff visits Chicago, he hopes to interview Don Drysdale. (Don Drysdale, Ginger Drysdale, Paul Winchell guest)
32.) 04/25/1963 ALL WOMEN ARE DANGEROUS- Jeff must choose between 2 girls to take to the dance.
33.) 05/02/1963 THE BIG WHEEL- Mary is upset that Jeff's broken down bus in the yard will ruin her party.
34.) 05/09/1963 DAY OF THE HERO- When Jeff is nominated for Senior Class President, popular and prettier Dolores wants to replace Jeff's prom date Rosemary.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
AlanP said:
Wow I always thought Mary was in the whole season five??
Rest assured: Shelley Fabares DOES REMAIN for the entire 'Fifth Season' of "The Donna Reed Show." The episode I think you're referring to Alan is "Mary Mary Quite Contrary" which is only the number 5 episode of this 'Fifth Season' where Mary decides to go to a nearby community college and moves into the College Dorm to gain independence from her family. I won't tell you what happens because it would spoil the episode. I'll just tell you that Shelley does indeed appear in many more 'Season 5' episodes after this number 5 episode is completed. Read all the 'Episode Descriptions' by Maren which are listed directly after her review of 'Season 5' and you will see she mentions the 'Mary Character' several times in many other episodes from Season 5. And Shelley is even included in various episodes from 'Season 5' in which her character name of 'Mary' is not even mentioned within a description of an episode from Season 5. Shelley Fabares does eventually leave the "The Donna Reed Show," after the completion of 'Season 5,' and then returns in guest appearances periodically for 'Season 6,' but only after she completes all her many permanent 'non-guest role' appearances for Season 5.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Is Shelley or is Patty in the opening when Donna answers the phone for season five??? And is Shelley on the entire season?? Then when season six begins is Shelley gone ?? Or does she start then leave?

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
AlanP said:
Is Shelley or is Patty in the opening when Donna answers the phone for season five??? And is Shelley on the entire season?? Then when season six begins is Shelley gone ?? Or does she start then leave?
When Donna answers the phone for Season 5, Shelley is in the opening, but not Patty. And Yes- Shelley is absolutely in the entire 'Fifth Season' of "The Donna Reed Show." And when 'Season 6' begins, Shelley is gone, but comes back for her first Guest Appearance during the eighth episode from 'Season 6' entitled, "Mary Comes Home."

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
lauren miller said:
Yay! I just recently picked up the first four seasons for my folks so this makes me very happy! :D
I am very happy for you and your parents, Lauren!! :) It's truly wonderful when things turn out right!!!!! :D

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I had just gotten the word yesterday from Amazon that my 'Season 5' DVD Set in regards to "The Donna Reed Show" has been shipped and will be arriving today at my house. Yippee!!!! I had better prepare my property taxes which have to be mailed in by today December 4th or it will take away from my enjoyment of receiving my all time favorite Television Series! By the way, I had watched 'SEASON 5' on "Nick at Nite" so I haven't seen it for a long time. And anyway, no matter how many times a person has viewed this particular 'Fifth Season' from this Wonderful TV Series, it is such an excellent season, that it's well worth watching it again!!!! :D

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Mark,
I too ordered my Season 5 DVD set from Amazon. It should be at my door probably my Monday 12/10. I was hoping it'd be here today (Saturday the 8th) but nope. :rolleyes: But, it shipped out the next day so I know it's gotta be almost here.
I grew up with "Donna Reed Show" on Nick at Nite and will always be one of my all-time favorite shows!! I never realized certain seasons were cut out and/or never shown till years later and I was older. I'd never seen season 4 ever until I got the DVD set...and I haven't seen season 5 in years either!
I just hope that somehow the last 3 seasons (6-8) will somehow get eventually released!! Not having a complete show is just that...incomplete! :(

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Just got my season 5 DVD set in the mail today--AWESOME!! :rock: However, I've heard that some of the episodes did not have as good of audible quality as the previous DVD sets. :confused: I haven't watched those episodes yet (have to finish season 4 first) but I"ll have to see what I notice when I do.
But, either way I'm still so greatful that both seasons 4 & 5 were finally released to DVD! :tu: I just sooo hope that Sony will eventually work a deal with someone/company to release the last 3 seasons (6-8)! :)

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Taking my time with these, because it's the last season with the "real" Stone family intact. Loved the episodes on disc 1 with Brooke Bundy, Cheryl Holdridge and the return of Candy Moore.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
DaveHof said:
Taking my time with these, because it's the last season with the "real" Stone family intact. Loved the episodes on disc 1 with Brooke Bundy, Cheryl Holdridge and the return of Candy Moore.
I always try to take my time...but once I start I just want to keep watching, and watching, and watching...! ;) Have you noticed any picture or audio issues with the season 5 episodes? I haven't started that season yet...but I've heard there was some sound and/or picture quality problems. Just curious...

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
HunterMan said:
IHave you noticed any picture or audio issues with the season 5 episodes? I haven't started that season yet...but I've heard there was some sound and/or picture quality problems. Just curious...
Not yet- I should finish disc one tonight and thus far I've been very pleased with the quality.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Just finished watching all of the Season 5 DVD set...I thought it was awesome! There was only one episode I remember thinking I could barely hear a slight "buzz" in the background...but it wasn't anything that noticeable and it didn't interfere with me hearing the dialogue. There were some hilarious episodes, and it furthered the more interesting storylines with Mary and Jeff (that really started with season 4 the year before). However, there were also a couple episodes I really did not like or care for--but that's the way it is with any show. ;) Overall, I really loved this season and also enjoyed a couple more songs from the kids...although "Johnny Angel" was way more awesome than "Big Star", in my opinion. :laugh: I always liked Jimmy Hawkins as Scotty...Mary's boyfriend. However, Jeff's girlfriend Angie annoyed the heck out of me! :f But, he dated a few other girls that I wished had been in more episodes, instead of Angie. The episode where the girl hides under Jeff's bed, and then he finds her...getting down on his stomach, laying his head on his hands and simply saying "hi" was hilarious! Also, the way he and the girl "messed" with Mary when she was looking for the girl and couldn't find her completely cracked me up!! :laugh: That was one of my favorite episodes from Season 5, for sure! :D Seasons 4 and 5 are definitely my favorite of the show...however, I have never seen seasons 6 and 7 (as they were never aired on Nick at Nite). So, I really hope that somehow the remaining 3 seasons (6-8) are eventually released to DVD!! :tu:

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I agree HunterMan. Of all the old family oriented shows, this one has become my favorite. For some reason this family seems more "real' than most of the others IMHO. I have never seen the final seasons either, but I hope they will make it out also.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Montytc said:
I agree HunterMan. Of all the old family oriented shows, this one has become my favorite. For some reason this family seems more "real' than most of the others IMHO. I have never seen the final seasons either, but I hope they will make it out also.
I've seen some of season 8 back when the show was on Nick at Nite...but I've never seen seasons 6-7. I don't remember much about season 8 (except for the series finale episode) either, so I really wish the last 3 seasons would be released. But, that's up to Sony. :rolleyes: You are so right, "DRS" seemed so much more "real" and interesting than other sitcom shows of the time...this has always been a reason I love the series so much! :) The cast was also almost as close in real life as they were on camera...and that too has been a huge captivating aspect for me as well. Other shows/casts seemed and were much more "faky" and were not close at all in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks